View Full Version : emergencycutting pliers

gone fishin
10-10-2008, 10:19 PM
This may sound redundant, but due to my getting a hook in my palm today I need to get a emergency type of pliers that will cut a 6X hook.
I caught a feisty chopper and while removing a hook, the blue did a hard shake and a hook sunk in my palm. I was lucky and was able to push it through to access the point and exposing the barb. I didn't have pliers strong enough to cut the hook at the curve and had to ask for help from a fellow fisherman. He had a pair of electricians pliers and was able to cut the hook with much effort and I pulled the hook back out.
My question is what type of plier will cut that heavy a hook easily. I want to get a pair to carry in the sled for emergency purposes. Any suggestions?? --- Other than dumb ass for getting hooked!

GattaFish
10-10-2008, 10:27 PM
You can use these to cut VMC hooks for lures too,,, Check the ones with the side cutter. It is small but at least you can have a dual purpose.

Either way it is tough to cut any fish from one treble while you have the other sunk into your finger,,, been there too,,,

http://www.seastriker.com/tools/tools_files/crimpers.htm

UserRemoved1
10-11-2008, 03:36 AM
KNIPEX stainless rod cutters. Oil them up and stick em in a bag. You can cut 1/4" steel with two fingers on them.

Bob Thomas
10-11-2008, 06:36 AM
Bought these about a year ago for just such an occasion. Helped a guy that got a nice VMC in his thumb, right next to the nail. These things sliced the hook (Habs lure) like butter and did not even "Jolt" during the cut. By that I mean it was less pain for the patient. Got them at Ace for about $20...fantastic investment!!

gone fishin
10-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the info - Salty are those the same as you use when cutting your wire ties?

UserRemoved1
10-11-2008, 02:04 PM
yes they are and they have a nice blunt tip to them which won't cut or pinch the skin if you have to get in tight. I know this from experience. :rotf2:

Slingah
10-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Im gonna move this to the main page...some good stuff here..

BigFish
10-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Seeing as how a certain moderator I know put a hook in his finger the other night??!!:bl:

piemma
10-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Must have been on another site because I just did this.

Manley pliers. Carried them in the surf for 25 years. Side cutters that will cut anything.

thefishingfreak
10-11-2008, 07:22 PM
I'd keep a new strait edge razor blade handy too I had to do a little do it yourself surgery on myself a few days ago.

Stewie
10-13-2008, 04:39 PM
My Manley's will not only cut any hook, they'll cut through braid like butter and take a hook out of a fishes jaw too. The last pair lasted me about ten years and then they started to not like cutting braid. I gave them to a friend and he is still using them.

l.i.fish.in.vt
10-13-2008, 05:53 PM
8 inch sargents.used mine a few times unfortunaly.just remember if you are by yourself it might be differcult to use boltcutters or other twohanded tools.

maddog2020
10-13-2008, 06:03 PM
I have both Knipex mini bolt cutters (# 71 01 200) and the Manley Super Pliers (6.5") and my vote goes to the Manley Super Pliers #2006.(http://www.manleyindustries.com/mip.html)

Manley's are lighter and shorter overall length as well. Jaws are coated w/ teflon and handles do rust, but nothing a little oil won't take care of. They will also function as pliers for removing hooks or crushing down barbs. Manley's are parallel jawed pliers so they distribute even pressure and have great grip holding power.

I did a side by side test comparison last week and it took LESS effort to cut thru an 5/0 VMC in 4X w/ the Manley's. Now I did this using the weaker of my two hands just to make sure it was possible for myself.

Keep in mind some guys work with their hands all day long and have very large and powerful hands where as some people don't use their hands except to type on a keyboard with. ;) Not all of us are strong as oxen so I suggest you try some one's pliers/cutters before you buy them OR if you did buy both the Manley and the Knipex you will still be very happy with both of them and it would have cost $90 tops for both pairs.

Those listed above by Bob Thomas look like mini bolt cutters so I am sure they will work great as well. I'll have to pick up a pair and test them for $20. :) One can never have enough cutters IMHO.

The SeaStriker link above, the Sport Pliers SP5 are essentially Manley knockoffs.

stripercrazy
10-16-2008, 10:32 AM
I was at the westerly hosp....2 weeks ago with a 4/0 4x vmc in my leg...oldman got a pair after seeing salty's...he gave me them to hold onto in the hosp after giveing me a ride there.....he said they'll need these.....winch said it too.....they were right the boltcutters they had were dull 24 inch and they were haveing problems.. said I got cutters...they said really, lets see them....snip...snip...snip....wow these are great:jump: they said there going to order a pair:uhuh: cut through like butter

439elf
10-16-2008, 06:53 PM
fter reading this post there now are two pair of cutting pliers in my fishing stuff.a pair of 9"klein side cutters and a pair of 8" diagional cutters both will cut those hooks with no trouble.each pair runs around 30 bucks at home depot or elec supply.better to be looking at them than for them when needed

Adam_777
10-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Crescent PRO Series Diagonal Compound Action Pliers.They cut vmc's easy with the way they set up the leverage handles.Mine cuts all my plug hooks and recently saved a seagull.Nobody else had a strong enough plier.The fisherman thanked me for them and complimented on how easy it was to cut the multiple trebles that were lodged in the bird.I didn't see the surgery but the bird flew away.Got em at Homo Depo

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/2081081?ref=gbase

flyvice11787
10-16-2008, 08:51 PM
KNIPEX stainless rod cutters. Oil them up and stick em in a bag. You can cut 1/4" steel with two fingers on them.

Scott, do you have a model number for these cutters?

GattaFish
10-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Scott, do you have a model number for these cutters?

I second this,,, Can never have enough tools when it comes to taking hooks out of your own hand,,,,:doh::doh: