View Full Version : dropping fish with riggies... any ideas?

zimmy
10-14-2008, 01:28 PM
I have only been fishing rigged eels for a few seasons and focused on them much more this year. I have had some good luck with them, however, I have noticed that I seem to drop many more fish with them than other methods. I am talking specifically about eels with two hooks. I do not have this problem with a wobble head.

I have generally used 7/0 hooks front and back. I am planning to go up to 8/0 or 9/0 next time I rig.

It doesn't seem to be an issue of dull hooks.

I set the hook immediately upon the hit of the fish.

Anyone have experience with this problem or insight as to what I need to do to increase my catch rate?

Clogston29
10-14-2008, 01:38 PM
limited experience here, but i found these things to help:

the hooks are big and tough to drive home

fish a tight drag and use a heavy (stiff) rod - for hook setting power

try setting the hook twice, or even three times, hard

DZ
10-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Zim,
What type of hook are you using?

DZ

zimmy
10-15-2008, 08:03 AM
I think they are mustad 9174's

RIROCKHOUND
10-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Zimmy;
try Siwash hooks.
8/0 or 9/0

Much better hook-up on riggies

Clogston29
10-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Zimmy;
try Siwash hooks.
8/0 or 9/0

Much better hook-up on riggies

that.

i was assuming that you were using siwashes with my previous comment.

keeperreaper
10-15-2008, 08:13 AM
As previously stated try setting the hook hard and multiple times. Also owner makes a nice hard pointed hook that is perfect for this application.

zimmy
10-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks, I will go to the 9/0 siwash. I used the others as I figured they were a bit stronger due to the shorter shaft.

piemma
10-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Siwash is the answer. You need a bigger opening with the riggies and the angle if the Siwash facilitates hookups.

Saltheart
10-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Have you noticed that many of the fish you have landed were foul hooked outside the mouth? With rigged eels you often get a hook up outside the mouth as the tail hook swings around. It may be that you are getting more hookups but some are foul hooked and just pulling out. If this is the case . then just b happy for the added oppurtunities and that some of these additional hookups may pull out.

DZ
10-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Some good advice being given here.

Here is my two cents:

Zim,
Not knowing what kind of outfit your using I can only speculate what might be happening and causing dropped hook-ups. First off you need a rod with lots of hook setting power. Lots of surf sticks don’t have the power to drive big riggie hooks home. For example -When I use my live eel stick for casting rigged eels I lose power on the set. My live eel hooks are still large in size but much thinner in diameter than the hooks I use on riggies. Needless to say the hooks must be very sharp – I stay away from stainless because it does not hold a point well.

I’ve used Siwash 9510s (tinned) and the Mustad 9174s and not had much problem. The hooks on the riggie perform two functions: one of which is facilitate landing heavy fish and the other is to act as a keel to keep your eel from spinning. The larger the eel the heavier/larger your hooks should be. The larger your hooks the heavier tackle you need.
Big heavy strong hooks have a larger diameter and require more torque to drive home – if the tip of your stick is soft you might have setting problems hence dropped fish. Another aspect is making sure your hooks stay strait and in line with the eel – reinforce and stabilize the rear hook by sewing it at the hook eye and at bend of the hook where it comes out of the eel. Do the same with the forward hook. This will also help keep the eel from folding upon itself during the take. Ever lose a fish because the hook went back through the eel before sticking the bass with only the point? It’s very hard to drive a hook barb through the eel AND into a bass hence you’ll drop most of those hook-ups.
Another thing you may want to try is dropping the rear hook one size down – example 9/0 forward, use 8/0 rear. Good luck.

DZ

zimmy
10-15-2008, 12:10 PM
thanks for all the good responses.
Dennis, I am using an arra 1205 so it isn't likely an issue of the rod not setting the hook properly (it would more likely be user error). I am going to take all the advice and put it together and see what happens. Hopefully more decent fish will show here in CT so I can test em.

RIROCKHOUND
10-15-2008, 12:20 PM
When the are skittish, I find occasionally I have to drop the rod tip and give them a second; not as long as a live eel, but a second or so...

wheresmy50
10-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Are you using monofilament?

NIB
10-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Some good advice being given here.

Here is my two cents:

Zim,
Not knowing what kind of outfit your using I can only speculate what might be happening and causing dropped hook-ups. First off you need a rod with lots of hook setting power. Lots of surf sticks don’t have the power to drive big riggie hooks home. For example -When I use my live eel stick for casting rigged eels I lose power on the set. My live eel hooks are still large in size but much thinner in diameter than the hooks I use on riggies. Needless to say the hooks must be very sharp – I stay away from stainless because it does not hold a point well.

I’ve used Siwash 9510s (tinned) and the Mustad 9174s and not had much problem. The hooks on the riggie perform two functions: one of which is facilitate landing heavy fish and the other is to act as a keel to keep your eel from spinning. The larger the eel the heavier/larger your hooks should be. The larger your hooks the heavier tackle you need.
Big heavy strong hooks have a larger diameter and require more torque to drive home – if the tip of your stick is soft you might have setting problems hence dropped fish. Another aspect is making sure your hooks stay strait and in line with the eel – reinforce and stabilize the rear hook by sewing it at the hook eye and at bend of the hook where it comes out of the eel. Do the same with the forward hook. This will also help keep the eel from folding upon itself during the take. Ever lose a fish because the hook went back through the eel before sticking the bass with only the point? It’s very hard to drive a hook barb through the eel AND into a bass hence you’ll drop most of those hook-ups.
Another thing you may want to try is dropping the rear hook one size down – example 9/0 forward, use 8/0 rear. Good luck.

DZ

I was using em a week or so ago,..The hits where so hard I hooked one 20 lb class fish thru the eel..Like you had mentioned..
I also sew the tail hook in place it still folded over..
These fish really hated rigged eels..
It was awesome..

PaulS
10-16-2008, 06:57 AM
I'm certainly no expert but what I do with the hooks is use a small cable to tie to keep them in line. I use the cable tie where they come out of the eel. I've also used cable ties through the eye but actually find its easier to use rigging thread and a large needle.

Crafty Angler
10-16-2008, 07:55 AM
....I am talking specifically about eels with two hooks. I do not have this problem with a wobble head....

Ditto on the Wobblehead.

First, since I've always operated on the understanding that bass hit prey head first I usually use either a Pt Jude eel bob or a wobblehead for dead eels. Ordinarily I'll use live if I have them available.

I can't speak to rigging issues since I'm a complete hacker in that department :hs: What I need to do is prevail upon the good nature of some oldtimer like DZ or Stevie McKenna to get a tutorial on it. I'd have asked Uncle Zeke but he and his wife are on an extended tour of the Northwest banging the snot outta cohoes and barn-door halibut.

Listen, riggies are the current rage right now, just like wooden plugs. Everything old is new again, it seems - and everything in your quiver has it's time and place. I guess what I'm saying is if you're getting a significantly higher rate of takes with riggies, then go for it. I know some guys swear by them and others are luke-warm.

If you're into them, read the Al Bentsen chapter of Surf Fishing at Night - he's the acknowledged master on the subject and learned from the guy who was considered the best.

Of course, if memory serves, DZ was taught by Fred Quarry at the old IA Club who knew his stuff and then some, so believe me DZ knows whereof he speaks and uses them often - and not just for nostalgia's sake either :uhuh:

Funny how this stuff gets handed down from one generation of surfmen to another - but there ya go :smokin: