View Full Version : Depressed?!

BigFish
10-16-2008, 01:31 PM
I am in a bit of a funk the last couple days.....kind of tired and down??? No energy!!!??? I think I am lamenting the season coming to a close? Anyone else feel this way??:huh:

The Dad Fisherman
10-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Big Time...been feeling that way for a week now.

Thinkin about just hanging the gear up and calling it. probably won't....just thinking about it.

been outta whack this season with the ever changing job situation....it completely took away my "before work" option of fishing this summer and that has me bummed.

GattaFish
10-16-2008, 01:43 PM
I had to go back to work on Oct 2 and left good fishing,,, It killed me,,, So I slept and rested up,,, Now I am ready to fish everyday until NOV... just slow fishing where I am at now,,,

reelecstasy
10-16-2008, 01:45 PM
I am in a bit of a funk the last couple days.....kind of tired and down??? No energy!!!??? I think I am lamenting the season coming to a close? Anyone else feel this way??:huh:

You could be hormonal

Clogston29
10-16-2008, 01:51 PM
season's winding down. personally, i'm ready for it to be over. time to get back to other things i've been neglecting. its been a good season, not my best, but pretty good. pushed had from late july to late september. i'll go out a few for times, but i'm done killing myself.

Raven
10-16-2008, 02:32 PM
LOL....

No man, it's a normal response ... and it's not hormonal in that sense

but it IS "your response to the length of daylight" ....
so it's definitely the photo period...
and the solution is to expose your third eye area to very bright light after the sun sets to lengthen the day artificially... then your mood will improve...

(where the hindu's put the blue dot over the pituitary gland in the middle of their forehead)

so illumination is the cure ....

now......... you will begin to feel enlightened :grins:

Joe
10-16-2008, 02:33 PM
The leaves are falling...the season is ending...One can't help but wonder how many more seasons before they fall, how close is their end?
Other than that though, its been a good day.

saltyric
10-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Full Moon Fever!

ProfessorM
10-16-2008, 03:00 PM
light deprivation. Time to get in a hole and hibernate.

JoeBass
10-16-2008, 03:07 PM
I love the fall and hate it. Fishings great, hikings great...and I don't hate the winter...I just like the summer and fall so much more. Definetly melancoly myself.

FishermanTim
10-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Soon my thoughts will turn to fishing the hardwater, and meeting up with old friends over a bowl of venison chili and a years' worth of fish stories.

I fish pretty much year round, so when my family says "You've got too much fishing stuff." I explain to them EXACTLY what every thing is for.

As for the S.A.D. (Seasonal Afflistion Disorder), it effects EVERYONE!
How you deal with it will decide whether you go into hibernation mode, or explorer mode.
I used to be a hibernator until I learned how to ski and snowboard, and then I got into ice fishing. I can't stand the timeframe between the fall run and the first freeze.

fishbones
10-16-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm not nearly ready to pack it in yet. I've got a few more great days of fishing left in me. As far as the weather and it getting dark early, it doesn't bother me. I dress accordingly and I can fish in the dark.

Maybe this year, I'll fish right through the winter. Every fall I say to myself "I'm gonna catch a keeper every month of the year". Then when it get's really cold, I find excuses to not go fishing even though I know there are some nice holdover fish in a certain spot. Maybe this will be the year I actually do it, but I doubt it.

CaptMike
10-16-2008, 03:33 PM
this is definitely a sad time of year. I'm trying to get excited for winter trout/perch fishing but it's hard. O well at least the bridge traffic will die down and it won't be as crowded at the squire anymore!

RIJIMMY
10-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Ok - I can understand being down, I get in a serious funk after Christmas that lasts through April, pretty sure its SADS.

But wtf is going on? This is a striped bass site, with mostly guys from New England and on October 16th you're all packing it in?
There are weeks of solid fishing ahead of us, you just may have to drive further. Smell that salt air as the sun begins to rise, chill in the air, ice forming on you guides. Its like the Striper Cup is over and no one wants to fish, yet you all complained its over too early! Get out and fish, you can sit on your arse in December! :hs::hs::hs::hs::hs::hs:

BigFish
10-16-2008, 04:17 PM
I am not packing it in for a few more weeks...hopefully one more big push! Just hate the season ending and glad at the same time!;)

ElSluggo
10-16-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm not ready to quite yet I love the fall. Fish Hard!

tynan19
10-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Bring on the snow. Till then it is fish and pretend to hunt I guess. Salmon and trout get decent soon as well. Besides the frozen waders it is a good time.

BrianS
10-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Ive already packed it in for the year.

The last few times out... I had to fight with myself to go...

Im not complately packed.. but close enough.

Tagger
10-16-2008, 06:28 PM
not depressed .. I'm looking forward to Ditch Troll camping trip this weekend,, then a real vacation .... A week at Block Island and if that isn't enough,, to top it off a tour of Big Fish cave .. Then back to my cave for a joyus season of wood dust and chemicals all the time dreaming about the spring , Cutty Crew Spring trip .. I just hope the winter goes good (job,economy) or I will be very depressed ..

Tagger
10-16-2008, 06:36 PM
You could be hormonal

:rotflmao::laughs::hf1:

ilovetwofish
10-16-2008, 07:12 PM
It's been pretty tough for myself and a few others I fish with latley. Truck problems and the lack of good fishing the last few days have been making me think about quiting just a thought though I will be out till Thanksgiving anyway.

UserRemoved1
10-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Your last name isn't Manzi is it Larry?

Jeezes grow a pair and go fishin it's October not freakin January :hee:

Try some Midol all the commercials say it works good

Hooper
10-16-2008, 07:36 PM
I wonder if this disorder, this seasonal affective thing, could I take a two week vacation to Maui and bill it to my Blue Cross Blue Shield health plan? I bet Maui would heal me!

Adam_777
10-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Sounds like a bunch of wusses that can't handle a few good skunkings.Packing it in ,in October.:huh: .It is far from over unless you give up.It's gotta be that time of the month.I was fishing in December last year in SoCo.Water temps are still high and rumors of summer holding patterns.Bait is over abundant.Sharpen your hooks,retie your leaders,get your gear ready.If not hang it up and buy a case of Depends.:faga::D

striperman36
10-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Must be a bunch of Girlee-Men!!!!

doktorfaustus77
10-16-2008, 08:03 PM
I just feel desperate to get a few more good fish in before the season craps out. My dad gets the S.A.D pretty badly. It is a fact for some..nothin girly about it!

Nebe
10-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Sounds like its time to test out some new plugs...http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/1185/37743196-main_Full.jpg

MarshCappa
10-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Sounds like a bunch of wusses that can't handle a few good skunkings.Packing it in ,in October.:huh: .It is far from over unless you give up.It's gotta be that time of the month.I was fishing in December last year in SoCo.Water temps are still high and rumors of summer holding patterns.Bait is over abundant.Sharpen your hooks,retie your leaders,get your gear ready.If not hang it up and buy a case of Depends.:faga::D

That's Awesome!

flyvice11787
10-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Larry, it sounds like you just need a vacation. It been about a month since your last one :bl:. Maybe a road trip, a la Dave DiBennedetto in "On The Run" :ss:.

UserRemoved1
10-16-2008, 08:44 PM
nebe I like the other side is more fun they make good beach whistles :hee:

MarshCappa
10-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Sounds like its time to test out some new plugs...http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/1185/37743196-main_Full.jpg:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:Pricele ss! Now I can send my wife plug shopping!

Nebe
10-16-2008, 09:23 PM
http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/OCEAN_PLANET/IMAGES/O-64.gif

Slipknot
10-16-2008, 10:29 PM

ya it's a little depressing with the season winding down, I didn't get out enough and the past few days I have been tired. I just finished up a 5 month job, the largest I ever did and I am drained. I went out tonight and glad I did, got my best fish of the year this evening. Get out there before they're gone, it's a long winter.:fishin:

UserRemoved1
10-17-2008, 03:34 AM
OMFG I think I split a gonad :rotflmao:

rwilhelm
10-17-2008, 07:27 AM
I really enjoy this time of year. College and pro football, baseball playoffs, and basketball starting soon. Cold crisp mornings that warm up in the afternoon. I will be fishing for about one more month. Also Octoberfest is my favorite beer. :gu:

johnny ducketts
10-17-2008, 07:40 AM
Um, yeah.. wrecked my shoulder back in the middle of september, and have not been able to make a single cast for the fall run. Need another MRI, and pending the results of that, possibly surgery. Oh yeah and my wife is having a baby in 6 weeks!..... I'm a little disheartened to say the least, not about the baby though.. it's the fact that I might be gimpy when he's born and not be able to help her out like she deserves.

Crafty Angler
10-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Geez, Larry's just trying to talk about his feelings.

Hey, Sally, get over it, real men don't have 'feelings'

:fishslap::fishslap::fishslap::fishslap::fishslap:

Sorry, Larry, had to get in on the pig-pile.

Okay, I've gotta admit, I'm feeling it too - the wasn't the season I'd planned, life got in the way and threw a change-up on my schedule.

It hit me on the rocks last night - it's me or the fish or the full moon or just that time of season. I'm wanting to take Alberto up on his offer to come down to Montauk...I dunno, I guess I'm starting to look forward to 'tog season...doesn't seem like it oughta be winding down but looking at the calendar....well...

Somebody hold me, I feel so alone...hey, group hug you guys...no?....ah, nevermind :hihi:

BigFish
10-17-2008, 07:50 AM
Children must play Chuck! :)

l.i.fish.in.vt
10-17-2008, 07:54 AM
i guess i am one of the few who gets pumped up at this time of the year.i can look back at the great time i had on the cape all summer. i can look forward to heading to LI for some reall fall fishing. when that is done i take out the skiis and ski all winter.life is only as good as you make it

Nebe
10-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Somebody hold me, I feel so alone...hey, group hug you guys...no?....ah, nevermind :hihi:

Ah.. the perfect moment for some unicorn pics... :laughs:

The Dad Fisherman
10-17-2008, 08:15 AM
i think the thing that sucks the most is I am always on vacation this time of year, just to fish.....just not this year. :(

I'm usually stoked for it...Load the vehicle up with gear and tell the wife not to plan on me for supper.....and if you need me I'll be cruising around 127 somewhere. Always the same cast of characters that you meet up here every fall....hanging on the beach waiting for the blitz to resume and talking about your past season and whats up for the upcoming winter months.

Back Beach
10-17-2008, 08:36 AM
I've no time to be depressed or otherwise. End of surf fishing season is actually a bit of a relief. As my partners retire for the season, it makes my life easier without their nightly reports, and thus, inspiration to fish.

Did I mention these guys too? Its a laugh a minute in my world, regardless of the season....

Kierran
10-17-2008, 08:47 AM
I find it hard to believe people are actually even thinking about packing it in. In my neck of the woods (LIS), things are just starting IMO. Another solid month+ of surfcasting. Icefishing after that...so no time to be depressed.

Clogston29
10-17-2008, 09:13 AM
I find it hard to believe people are actually even thinking about packing it in. In my neck of the woods (LIS), things are just starting IMO. .

that's the thing, that's in your neck of the woods. in my neck of the woods, things are winding down. i think sometimes people miss the fact that things vary (and I'm in no way saying you're missing it) depending on where you are. For example, I hear people up my way talk about how June is the best month. I can only assume that they are basing it on what they read and hear on sites like this. Truth is, I'll take july or august over june anyday.

The Dad Fisherman
10-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Historically the 2nd to 3rd weeks of October are the Swan Song weeks up on the North Shore...after that the fishing starts to slow real quick and by the 1st of November is practically non-existent.

Most of the guys in the club usually head to Rhody starting the last week of October to keep fishing.

Flaptail
10-17-2008, 09:40 AM
I have said this before but it really never ends. It's really a viscious cycle. Striper fishing "ends" for me 1st week of December, you can catch bass consistently until then. They might not be huge but if you just want to have fun and aren't a snob "I only fish for large" fisherman (or woman) you can catch most every night. Just match the tackle. You would be amazed at how a 26 inch fish fights on 8 lb braid and a one handed spinning rod. Sh!t they even take drag.

As soon as the water in the ponds here on Cape cools enough which is about December 1st out comes the ultralight and it's back to wading and casting metal for trout on weekend mornings. If the water gets stiff enough to walk on by middle of January we drill holes in it and fish that way until it gets loose again at the middle of February and if it doesn't well we just keep wading and casting all winter. All of a sudden it's April 15th and uh oh, it's time to haunt the south cape shore for the first "bright" fish and here we go again.

No need to be depressed and at night we repair to our basement workshops and make plugs. No time to be depressed. And no reason.

maddmatt
10-17-2008, 12:55 PM
:rotflmao::laughs::hf1:

how do ya make a hormone???

don't pay her

(old but good)

ProfessorM
10-17-2008, 12:58 PM
I wonder if this disorder, this seasonal affective thing, could I take a two week vacation to Maui and bill it to my Blue Cross Blue Shield health plan? I bet Maui would heal me!

If you could we would have done it as my wife works for them and we luv Hawaii. Nice drive on the road to Hana will heal anything that ails you.

Sundowner
10-17-2008, 01:45 PM
No offense, but you sorry sons a *sons*, after another memorable season it seems like you are all belly aching, the fishing here has sucked and there is no way I am stopping till I cant feel my toes. I see everyone on this site say there are no fish in RI but I am still going at it. Makes me almost puke, like a warm vodka shot after a heavy night of drinking, pull over and let it out. C'mon, man up:musc:. Isnt there a bunch of guys that said they were gonna have a cook/fish out tonight? WHere is that happenig anyway

Goose
10-25-2008, 09:46 PM
A good book not fishing related works wonders. Trying to please our minds with the same thing day after day week after week isn't enough, its like eating from the same menu..it's not fullfilling.
For me its inspiring or inspirational reads , what ever soothes your palet. Books are unlike movie news ect. in that they expand your mind in every espect.

Jenn
10-26-2008, 08:37 AM
i guess i am one of the few who gets pumped up at this time of the year.

So many people get depressed when winter rolls around. I always tell them that they live in New England and have the joy of all four seasons. Make the best of it! Just like you wouldnt go to the water without proper gear you dont enjoy winter activities unless you have the proper gear. Winter can be fun (in fact last winter I had SO much fun I didnt want fishing season to start!) I go through phases where I cant decide if I enjoy the fishing season or snow season more and this year it was definately the snow....to the point where it put me in a "funk" as far as fishing was concerned.

and besides...if fishing is where its at for you....there is always winter forms of fishing! Depression not needed!