View Full Version : I need help with my 1989 GMC Truck

missing link
10-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Some of you know I used to drive older GMC trucks
My 1989 Gmc 1500 has a starting problem : I'm not getting any voltage to my fuel pump fuse on the fire wall my fuel pump relay has power but it ends there .
Any MOTOR HEADS OUT THERE wanna come down to the ranch for an afternoon I'll feed you or any explicit action you need ( not performed by myself or Mrs LINK )
If anyone can help I need a true MOTORHEAD you won't be dissapointed in your reward , HECK if you come down I'll take care of you.
any input thru this site or PM's I'll give you my cell# thanks
ML Sr:confused:

redcrbbr
10-17-2008, 03:29 AM
is the relay good? does power go thru it? may be the problem right there

missing link
10-17-2008, 03:45 AM
Thanks ,
I'll check that out , Power in Power out .
ML:conf:

UserRemoved1
10-17-2008, 04:21 AM
don't use a test light either I recommend a real voltmeter so you can see full voltages there Link.

Does everything else in the truck work right now...

First thing to look at is fusible links under the hood. You may have a mains fuse block under the hood, check your owners manual and see, then put a voltmeter on each side of the fuses and check the voltages...without touching anything or probing as little as possible so as not to disturb something as it could be an intermittent that when touched starts working again.

Alot of times you'll find corrosion on a leg of a fuse or in the fuseblock itself.

If anyone goes have Mrs Link make that Chicken dish you won't be sorry :hee:

Nebe
10-17-2008, 07:17 AM
If you have power out from the relay direct to the pump, check the connections.. also, check the wire. It may have been cut somehow.

missing link
10-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks for all the info , I'll do the volt meter thing tomorrow , Karl yes it's the Stroker truck and the fuel pump is in the tank
thanks ML
Salty it was the Chicken enchilada cassarole :kewl:

Adam_777
10-17-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm 14hrs deep into another electrical problem right now.I'm running out of hair.The truck hauls liquid nitrogen to add a twist to the issue.Do a good visual inspection of your fuse panel and wiring.Check all your fuses and relays gm has weird way of wiring up the trucks.How about the emergency cutoff switch did it trip ? Does it even have one? Good luck Link SR .Worst case scenario is rewire it to run off an accesory relay.May save you $$ and time in the long haul.

Reading somewhere that an oil pressure switch activates the fuel pump on some trucks.Needs at least 4 psi.

Backbeach Jake
10-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Take a peek at the connector at the tank. Mine was corroded and I had a no go situation, too.

UserRemoved1
10-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Man if I wasn't going to Maine tomorrow and working on Sunday I'd be down and fix it in a heartbeat. That dish is worth a 1000 mile ride :hee:

Thanks for all the info , I'll do the volt meter thing tomorrow , Karl yes it's the Stroker truck and the fuel pump is in the tank
thanks ML
Salty it was the Chicken enchilada cassarole :kewl:

UserRemoved1
10-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Any luck there Link?

missing link
10-18-2008, 07:27 PM
I got a call this morning from someone from Sandwich that wanted to come see the truck this afternoon. I get a call from him about 3:00 saying he's at the Red Robin in west wareham and his car won't start. I was on the way to the nursing home to see my parents when he called. I offered to come to the red robin and jump start his car (a cobra mustang). It started and he came to my house (kept the car running), his wife loved the truck and wanted it. Hopefully they will buy it. It's the least they could do.
ML
P.S. It's on craigs list.:bo:

UserRemoved1
11-07-2008, 07:14 PM
ML What did you find wrong with this I see you sold it

missing link
11-08-2008, 08:01 AM
Scott,
I didn't fix it , was sold to a mech. He wanted it for a winter project
Link

UserRemoved1
11-08-2008, 09:02 AM