View Full Version : electroics for center consoles...

Mr. Sandman
11-27-2002, 08:16 AM
I've got to equip a new 23' CC with electonics. It has been a few years since I have bought any and a lot has changed. I was thinking of getting something like a garmin 10" plotter/gps/depth (all in one) device (I love the screen)..and then get a decent color fishfinder and radio. (I may have to postpone the radar until next year or later in the season).

Do you think a laptop would hold up in the CC electronics box? Some of the Nav and charting software (ie: Nobletec) is really amazing these days and supports autopilots. I know you can download routes to the GPS device but have any of you guys done it? Is is a pain? I guess after you have enough stored trips in there is it pretty much select and go. It just seems that a computer is a good way to go (with a 15" screen). I have seen them on 50-60 footers but not on 23' open boats. I bet then would crap out pretty fast with the g-forces and moisture.

I don't want to go low end and I don't need commerical equipment either...what do you guys like for the serious sportsfishermen for electronic gear

(gps/plotter/radar/fishfinder/radio/even autopilots)

Also, do any of you know of any custom T-Top builders on the cape?

19Mako
11-27-2002, 09:09 AM
hey Sandman,
buy the largest screen with the best viewability and clarity that you can afford. I purchased all new electronics last year and opted for a smaller GPS to ensure a custom fit in the dash. I'm looking to add another unit for find a larger unit that will fit.

If you do decide on a laptop, check out panasonics tough book series. They are liquid resistant and shock proof but I'm not sure how well they'll stand up to a marine enviroment.

Anthony

JohnR
11-27-2002, 09:26 AM
Assuming that your fishing, I would get the kick a$$ fishfinder then a decent Chartplotter and radio. Out of the three, the radio is the easiest, most current radios are DSC/Ememergency today and you can get a decent radio for $200 or so (unless you're going way offshore), just be certain to get a good antenna - a cheap antenna will waste a decent radio... Backup the radio with a used job stashed away somewhere and backup the chartplotter with a handheld GPS.

Get a good color fishfinder, with or without chart capability and then get a decent chartplotter system with WAAS and some interface system to PC.

I doubt a laptop would be wise on a CC, certainly not in the electronics box. They fail too easily under normal use, pounding away in the electronics box might be too much.

I've been toying with a seperate idea by building a small desktop under the console. There are some solutions available now that allow sealed and fanless operation of a desktop that may allow a unit smaller than micro ATX to be stashed in the console - then you would be able to hook up directly to your electronics on the fly and do real-time manipulation and commentary of your data. The biggest issue at this time is screen - I should be able to build a cable that I can use older laptop LCD screens... Again just toying with the idea at this time. The only question I have is on the screens...

Mr. Sandman
11-27-2002, 09:53 AM
John,
How do you think the hard disk would stand up in a system like that? Also, I doubt you want to be reading a CD while cruising at 30Kn.

Fishpart
11-27-2002, 10:07 AM
Fishfinder, laptop, sounds like the beginning of a terrain following downrigger :D

Mr. Sandman
11-27-2002, 10:12 AM
fish...shhh don't give away my ideas;) (already wrote the code...)

JohnR
11-27-2002, 11:06 AM
Probably OK - some of the better hard drives can take a beating, I would stay away from a 7200RPM or faster but should be fine with a notebook drive at 4200rpm or a 5400rpm regular drive...

Could even use a 1GB microdrive which is even more shock resistant but that's probably a little too slow..

You fish at 30 knots? Wow - no wonder you won't catch 'em :D - you don't need to work detail at 30 knots, but when drifting of working a particular ledge - it'll come in just fine...

So what CC are you getting, did you get?

Megabyte
11-27-2002, 12:08 PM
I agree with John R.

I would receommend against the Laptop. The g forces on a boat 30' and under would give it a very short life span. I used them on larger boats for years and they still don't make a real "boat laptop computer" especailly if your power boat is under 30'

Radio - I suggest looking at the "Digital Antennae's". Mine made a world of difference on my Horizon.

I'm on my 3 GPS. The first two (both color) I could not see on a bright day (not even sum bright). I just sold the Garmin 225 (color) and finally just bought the Northstar. Now I can see.

I've a Furuno 600 FF that on all but the direct sunlight I have no problem seeing. Still looking for the FF that finds fish when I can't.

CC with T-Tops you really need to checkout the screens, especially if your going to go with color screens.

I just saw one of the new Raytheon screens installed on a 26' CC. WOW Big screen, no computer everything integrated. Big $$$$$

:)

Mr. Sandman
11-27-2002, 01:24 PM
megabyte...

In your opinion...is color plotter worth the extra $ ? I have to have a good color FF with big screen but I could save a G note by going with a B/W plotter. IMO you get moe info from the color FF then the color plotter.

The PC or notebook is a thought that will probably backfire...I have so many PC's (and PC parts) laying around my house it is just a matter of time before I put one in the boat...if it cooks itself it is no great loss. I have seen 15" flat panels for laptops on ebay for < 100 bucks. (used) I could see a simple all-in-one motherboard in the console with a flat panel in the box mounted on the panel. Mouse and keyboard ...I will have to create a space for. But the thought is interesting. I would not rely on it though...I would have established marine components for Nav and comm.

thanks for your input

Megabyte
11-27-2002, 02:39 PM
The difference is like day and night. Being able to tell the real intensity of the objects, rocks from bottom with major color changes.

It sort of like looking at your gas guage. Not many of us remember how much gas we have after looking at the guage. But we do remeber that we have enough. Well, I look for bright red/yellow objects and ignore the rest.

But, you've got to have a unit that you can see the color in a fair amount of sunlight, especially with a t-top. My Garmin 225 was undet the T-Top and in a small console and anytime the sun was from the port beam around the stern to the starboard beam I had difficulty seeing and at times impossible.

Most of the instrument manufacturers are now starting to address the direct sunlight problem.

Van
12-02-2002, 01:34 PM
I heard some bad things about the color chartplotters. Some have additional batteries to enhance the color and they dont last for squatt....

Some color units are impossible to see in sunlight, if its under a t-top it may be OK.

I have a monochrome LCD, and it works great, and i do not have any problem identifying structure.

Sometimes it the sun it just wrong, and its hard to see, I just tilt it to remove glare.

Its a Raymarine.....compact size....

Good Luck,
V

Mr. Sandman
12-02-2002, 03:02 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I have a lot to think about this winter....