View Full Version : Lightning does strike twice....keeping a log

ivanputski
10-19-2008, 02:26 PM
I started keeping a log last year, not that I needed it to remember
that on oct 16 of last year I caught a 35#. So I head out to the same spot on the 16th of this year, and DRAG my buddy with me... a year later , almost to the HOUR, my lazy buddy lands a 32.5# !!! only other fish landed was by me.. a 15#. And the funny thing is its a spot that no one would ever even give the time of day to... I guess there is something to be said for keeping a log, or just having a good memory.

My log entries include: Tide, hours fished, lure/bait used, moon, surf conditions, and when the larger fish were landed. hopefully it will pay off for me next year, although I realize every year can be way different.

Sea Dangles
10-19-2008, 06:34 PM
How many of the conditions were similar to last years? Most fishermen who keep a tight log value moon phase more than any other stat and I know that isn't even close. I have been told the value of a log from Crazy Al. I have also been told what a joke a log is from Tony C. I tend to go along with the waste of time theory.

Slingah
10-19-2008, 06:43 PM
I have been told the value of a log from Crazy Al. I have also been told what a joke a log is from Tony C. I tend to go along with the waste of time theory.

I agree with the waste of time theory .....but if keeping a log motivates, or ads excitement...then all the power...

ProfessorM
10-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Funny I try my best and not as often in the last few years to hit a place where I had my largest 2 fish on back to back nites in 1990. I try to line up the same tide conditions and wind direction and if they coincide I try. I have never done anything there on those particular nites again. It is this week and I was thinking about it just yesterday. Luck counts.

ivanputski
10-19-2008, 09:29 PM
my log is mostly a "what I caught When" to look back on how my season was, and so I have a seasonal "keeper count"... almost like a seasonal tournament against myself.

BassDawg
10-19-2008, 09:59 PM
i place a high value on me basslawgs,,,,,,,,,,,,
the more info, the better.

only 3 yrs running; yet, they do aid me in pinpointing
the PATTERNS of our species. i believe DZ calls them "preferred lies"
basically, if they like the SPOT, they will return,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

barring any major upheaval of the structure/current/tides related to moon
my lawgs tell me where, when, and SIZE of successes and failures
The Crazy One says that the Skunks are just as important as the Bites. and so faaaaaar, the feesh are there when they are supposed to be there~~~~from RI to Cape Ann. just sum thoughts, good luck!
:bl: :bl: :bl:

Clammer
10-19-2008, 11:14 PM
lOGS ARE FOR BURNING ;;

you,ll never get the same conditions / temp/ wind // as you did at a previous date /

If you know the pluses & minues of places, ?/ie tides, currents , best wind conditions / water temp
ya can add or subtract / water clarity / the bait situation ;;& If you have that 6th sense ..you,ll be close ;;

If you do kepa detailed log // number of fish / && size

& your log is close to accurate for the last 15 -20 years .. particually the last six .
dropping the exceptions ...which there will always be ...................... you should be noticing a steady decline of [true] schoolies 6-7#,s & under & more large fish ;;

For the old timers / that fished hard 20+ years ago & are still tuned in to whats currently going on ::

The same wakeup bell is ringing ..IMO ..back then we didn,t realize it >> now we have no excuses / many fishermen can see it coming ... but the guy with the marine degree / & all the data & resources he has available to him / can,t see it ;;' its kinda like they work in a strip joint & never see t its :cputin:

I,m kinda glad I,m nearing the end .. because I won,t be missing as much as I should //
F#$%^&*()_ educated nitwits ;;

have ya ever had or watched employees of your states fish & wildlife >>> Most have a degree in dirt/mud/ water /& bugs :sleeps:

But they can,t tell ya when a season opens or closes / sizes, daily quota,s // all the common sense %$%$%$%$ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Too many people that are involved in wildlife/fish management &&&&&&&&& the ultimate in BOOK SMART >> STREET STUPID ><><>:af: