View Full Version : Radon Testing

luds
10-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Any radon experts on this site? I have a home inspection on Saturday and was debating whether or not to have them do one. Based on the the public info available on-line it looks like I should.

Opinions would be appreciated.

Yes, I enjoy putting my life in the hands of my fellow fishing board members.

-Luds

The Dad Fisherman
10-21-2008, 03:04 PM
How much do they charge?....if its outrageous you can pick up a kit and do it yourself

Clogston29
10-21-2008, 03:05 PM
it'll probably come back negative and be a waste of money, but get it. it could cost you a ton if you don't.

Nebe
10-21-2008, 03:06 PM
are you buying or selling a house? If your buying a house, YES get that checked out. If your selling, you are legally bound to disclose the results..

I am not an expert though. :D

luds
10-21-2008, 03:06 PM
How much do they charge?....if its outrageous you can pick up a kit and do it yourself

Probably makes sense since I have to pick it up myself anyway. The inspection company gets $175 for it.

Clogston29
10-21-2008, 03:07 PM
looks like you can get one for under $20

The Dad Fisherman
10-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Probably makes sense since I have to pick it up myself anyway. The inspection company gets $175 for it.

Sounds like IT consulting...

here's a link to a kit...cost $40 and includes the lab fee for reading it.

http://www.homestoreproducts.com/cart/index.html?target=Radon_Gas.html&mid=RADONTESTKIT

UserRemoved1
10-21-2008, 03:09 PM
what he said. ALWAYS

it'll probably come back negative and be a waste of money, but get it. it could cost you a ton if you don't.

fishbones
10-21-2008, 03:09 PM
It's worth it for your peace of mind. When you consider all of the other nickel and dime costs when going through the home buying process, you won't even notice it. Which town did you decide on?

luds
10-21-2008, 03:13 PM
It's worth it for your peace of mind. When you consider all of the other nickel and dime costs when going through the home buying process, you won't even notice it. Which town did you decide on?

Weymouth. Central enough to keep me fishing the North Shore and only 15 minutes from the office. :kewl:

Raven
10-21-2008, 03:39 PM
i worked for a radon mitigation company for 2 1/2 years...

one of the tricks we did to lower the level of radon in a basement was to drill a 4 inch hole directly through
the concrete or where ever we could drill through wood
and install a short section of 4" pvc pipe and then simply install a 4 inch vent cover over the pvc stub.

this usually brought the radon level down to an acceptable level in most cases.

Jenn
10-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Sending you a P.M.

Back Beach
10-22-2008, 01:47 PM
i worked for a radon mitigation company for 2 1/2 years...

one of the tricks we did to lower the level of radon in a basement was to drill a 4 inch hole directly through
the concrete or where ever we could drill through wood
and install a short section of 4" pvc pipe and then simply install a 4 inch vent cover over the pvc stub.

this usually brought the radon level down to an acceptable level in most cases.

My house was built in 1990 and has the same type of system. Only difference is its piped right out through the garage roof with a fan as opposed to an open vent.
The only problem with testing the radon is the levels will change if you open windows and allow air to enter the house. Levels will sometimes rise in the winter if the air isn't circulated due the windows being closed.

nightfighter
10-22-2008, 05:08 PM
http://www.epa.gov/radon/realestate.html

If you can, negotiate it into the realestate transaction for the seller. Depends how hard you negotiated your price to be accepted.

Raven
10-22-2008, 05:14 PM
i have installed approximately 1000 systems most of which had several drops or single drops (meaning holes cut through the cement floor slab of concrete with each
pipe sealed with the grey 20 year silicon) ....then it travels up.... on an angle
to the up-stack pipe to the radon fan (installed in a non living space) and stays on 365 days a year exhausting the radon gas out through the roof.
~
we used 4" diamond studded hole saw cutting through tile or concrete... then you dig out some "under the slab material" (dirt and or gravel) so you have a good draw from underneath the cellar floor...
~
the under the slab material determines how powerful a fan you need depending on what it is...how dense, or coarse.... and what the initial radon test showed...
~
the 4" stubby trick is used when you only need a "small adjustment" to let some needed air in... to a fairly air tight basement.
technically unless your house is built on top of shale rock , Radon gas is usually -> not a major concern.

there's allot of unscrupulous stuff that goes on with radon testing.... some guys would go down to the basement with an empty jar....right... and swim it
back and forth as if to capture some air then claim to go have it tested for what ever they could get away with charging.... :mad:

Back Beach
10-23-2008, 10:29 AM
(meaning holes cut through the cement floor slab of concrete with each
pipe sealed with the grey 20 year silicon) ....then it travels up.... on an angle
to the up-stack pipe to the radon fan (installed in a non living space) and stays on 365 days a year exhausting the radon gas out through the roof.
~

That's an exact description of my house.