View Full Version : The "Golden Rule" for Fall Fishing...

Fish_Eye
10-21-2008, 05:26 PM
I thought it might be interesting to hear what key strategy or tactic you might employ on migrating fish.

Do you change techniques in the late fall, or do you just bundle up and brave the elements and hit 'em the same way you would if it were early spring?

What is your "Golden Rule" for late season striper hunting?

ilovetwofish
10-21-2008, 07:33 PM
More mobile then ever and more daytime sight fishing.

BigFish
10-21-2008, 07:39 PM
My strategy is to simply enjoy what is left of the season! Plugging is my forte'.....swimmers at night as always and lots of topwater by day! Tomorrow should be ideal if I can find the right spot where the fish are partying on top in the white water! I am just trying to store some mental firewood to keep me warm this winter!

numbskull
10-22-2008, 06:33 AM

Drink a lot of water before going to bed early, so that when the alarm goes off and it is windy and cold outside and warm and toasty in the bed, and so you shut it off and decide to pass, but then can't get back to sleep because your bladder won't shut up, which keeps you awake until you feel guilty enough to get up and go, then go. Loading the car before hand also helps.

JohnR
10-22-2008, 06:44 AM
Drink a lot of water before going to bed early, so that when the alarm goes off and it is windy and cold outside and warm and toasty in the bed, and so you shut it off and decide to pass, but then can't get back to sleep because your bladder won't shut up, which keeps you awake until you feel guilty enough to get up and go, then go. Loading the car before hand also helps. :tooth:

The Ethic of Reciprocity.

I will treat you neighboring angler with respect as long as you show me yours. Violate, then I will cross and tangle until you grab your white pail and go home...

Seriously, just fish

The Iceman 6
10-22-2008, 07:00 AM
One thing I know about fishing is that you have to be in it to win it.

Adam_777
10-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Keep your rod and reel in your car.Any chance to get out and check for life and signs take it.

maddmatt
10-22-2008, 08:01 AM

no fish....go find em

Fish_Eye
10-22-2008, 08:03 AM
I've often found that pockets of bait will eventually deliver schools of stripers. This time of year it's often feast or famine, the bass are on the move and looking for concentrations of bait fish, find one and you'll soon find the other.

Find a ball of bait hunkered down in the corner of the beach or at the tip of a point and it's only a matter of time before they face the hordes of south bound stripers.

Anchovies or menhaden start dumping out of salt ponds and it's not long before the predators shows up at the mouth of the breachway.

Here's a bass-eye view of menhaden and bay anchovies I shot within the last week.

Saltheart
10-22-2008, 08:16 AM
The golden rule for the fall is to keep warm and dry. You will fish longer.

Nocturnal 1
10-22-2008, 08:37 AM
Drink a lot of water before going to bed early, so that when the alarm goes off and it is windy and cold outside and warm and toasty in the bed, and so you shut it off and decide to pass, but then can't get back to sleep because your bladder won't shut up, which keeps you awake until you feel guilty enough to get up and go, then go. Loading the car before hand also helps.
My dad and grandfather employed this tactic,a couple of beers before bed helped them fall asleep and got them up and running in the wee hours(pun intended)
:cheers2:

The Dad Fisherman
10-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Keep your rod and reel in your car.Any chance to get out and check for life and signs take it.

I agree with that one whole heartedly....never know when something is going to pop up

Back Beach
10-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Don't expect too much and have a good time.
Most of my angling time during the season is spent on high intensity trips with little actual enjoyment as its all about the results and ensuing loss of sleep.
Late fall is a kick back time for me as you run into old friends and do a lot of B.S ing. What's caught is of minor importance.

As for rules, the daytime fishing can be very good and should come into play any time after mid october. Nights are still your best shot at the large though.

beaver
10-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Fish Eye, those are great shots. Whenever I'm feeling down I watch the Fall Run chapter of Stripers Gone Wild. Needless to say that's enough to get me out the next morning. Maybe a SGW II in the future?ha Thanks.

NIB
10-22-2008, 11:00 AM

I love it when I wake up with the skin splitter..

BatesBCheatin
10-22-2008, 11:47 AM
The golden rule for the fall is to keep warm and dry. You will fish longer.

Exactly - Went out from 4 to 8 this morning and was nice and warm while others fished an hour and left. It paid off. BTW: I highly recommend the NRS Powerhouse splash jacket unless you're swimming. Great deal for around 70 bucks.

Which brings me to my next rule - Do not wait for reports cuz most fishers ain't out there in the snot and the fish are moving fast.

Flaptail
10-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Bundle up and keep on fishing, it isn't over by a long shot. Those who think it is, well, it just shows how much you really know.

Last night, with two very good fisherman, I read the weather correctly after anylizing the forecast both marine and terrestrial, pulled up the weather radar's actual picture and made a decision to go as it looked like it was going to turn to sh!t today, which it has.

This old noggin still can have moments of brilliance and the three of us headed out to a forlorned beach as a thunder storm skirted us to the north and we dodged some lightning and the wind went around the compass from s/west to heavy n/west/north.

At the end of the tide we had many fish between us, a lot of teen sized and fortunately for me the largest was just 35 pounds just a shade over 45 inches long. I had teaser on as did my fishing friends and didn't notice the 24 inch fish that had eaten the teaser the big
fish towed around.

As the sand came exposed we actually found fish stranded in a couple cuts in between the bars and a couple flapping around in a puddle in back of a bar completely cut off from the water. Bait was all over the beach.

Walter and Nate, last night was just the beginning of at least a good three to four weeks to go. Hope we can hook up soon again. Great fishing with two men who really know how to fish and the etiquette that goes with it.

Over? No way, not even close.

BatesBCheatin
10-22-2008, 12:15 PM
^^^ Awesome. :claps:

It's so cool when things go according to plan especially when it's cold, wet, and windy. Makes it all worth it.

steve
10-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Fish 5 or 6 tried and true fall spots after dark until Nov. 10 or so. Then I'll look around to the west a little more. I'll wrap it up when it gets too cold, usally by T-giving. Then I'll try the toilet in Providence for winter over fish.

steve
10-22-2008, 03:10 PM
PS, There is STILL alot of good striper surf=-fishing left. I say at least 3 full weeks for southeastern Mass and all of RI. Most of my fall big bass have come in late October, say 21st to 31st, and nov. 1st to the 10th. It does go down hill rapidly for bigger fish, say 20 pounds, after the 10th however. And alot of those bigger fish mentioned til 11-10 have come from Gansett and a spot in Westport. Don't , by any means, give up slinging eels til the 10th of Nov. You may be surprised at the size and consistent action after dark up until that date. Good Luck.

BassDawg
10-22-2008, 06:47 PM
thanks Steve,

for your storied and valuable perspective!!

i am one of THOSE nuttttz that keeps fishing

into DEC, if it hasn't gotten brutally COLD by then.

i try to shorten the winter by as many days as possible!!!
:heybaby: :heybaby: :heybaby:

shadow
10-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Right about now I start to burn out.Whether or not more productive I fish more dusk and 2 hours after that ,If nothing has happened at that point call it and home to warm up.I also tend to head west a bit more.

BatesBCheatin
10-22-2008, 11:34 PM
i try to shorten the winter by as many days as possible!!!
:heybaby: :heybaby: :heybaby:

Ain't that the truth. Hitting the rocks and beaches of SoCo into early December does help to shorten the winter. Last year kind of sucked for fishing, but it still beat sittin inside and watching the TV.

:think: Winter sucks.

redcrbbr
10-23-2008, 01:10 AM
My golden rule is "No fish is worth dying for"

This time of year with the water temps cooling down, weather and the waves are not like a summer night in august. Be smart and don't be careless, keep an eye on the sea. Bring a friend if the area your fishing could possibly be hazardous

fishaholic18
10-23-2008, 05:55 AM
Mt Golden Rule is....give up on bass and go Toggin':bounce:,,unless a full blown blitz pops up in front of me...:faga:

Saltheart
10-23-2008, 11:27 AM
One year there was a 63 pounder taken at Weekapaug on Dec 1st.

The biggest Blue fish i ever caught (22-23 pounds after gutting with football size heads) were caught the weekend after thanksgiving along the South coast of RI.

Block Island sometimes has fish to Dec 15.

Montauk has acres of blitzing fish through November and into Dec .

There are usually tons of schoolies to be had along the RI coast through Nov. Not monsters but fun on a fly rod or light spinner.

Anyway , there is still lots of fishing left in this season.

ThrowingTimber
10-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Just go

Taking diff. role at work has seriously hindered me :crying:

Rockfishroger
10-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Top waters in the early morning,then shearch the mouths and deep points at sunup.