View Full Version : Umbrella rig

Channell99
10-23-2008, 08:14 PM
I am thinking about using and umbrella rig next year in the Boston area and was wondering what rod and reel works the best.Also what is a good line to use.
Thanks Channell99

MakoMike
10-24-2008, 06:45 AM
I am thinking about using and umbrella rig next year in the Boston area and was wondering what rod and reel works the best.Also what is a good line to use.
Thanks Channell99

Wire line set up works best.

thefishingfreak
10-24-2008, 04:28 PM
if your going to drag 9er rigs in boston I would use heavy gear because you will no doubt spend alot of time jerking your 35 dollar rig free of the bottom. quite the workout for the schooiles they mostly catch. you'd do better off with tube & worm on lead line.

Sea-Gar
10-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Technically you cannot use a 9ers rig for striped bass, as they have 9 hooks. You can always say you are targeting blues to tear up your $35 rig.

CaptMike
10-27-2008, 08:06 AM
wire line works best but I like to use 30 pound mono with a planer in shallower water. It's easier to handle than wire but it's up to you. Troll with the current either way.

Roger
10-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Technically you cannot use a 9ers rig for striped bass, as they have 9 hooks.

Since when?

quick decision
10-27-2008, 07:25 PM
I have caught many bass in the harbor on home made rigs. If you buy the premade umbrella, then add storm shads to it. With there weighted head it will get down enough in water 15 feet and under. Then I tie a piece of mono to the center and run it back 5 feet. I will use a different color like red on this one.

MakoMike
10-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Technically you cannot use a 9ers rig for striped bass, as they have 9 hooks. You can always say you are targeting blues to tear up your $35 rig.

Huh?

Sea-Gar
10-29-2008, 07:41 PM
May be taken with hook and line only. Hook and line is defined as a single line with no more than 5 hooks, including the commonly called rod and reel and handline. At least it is in Maine. Marine patrol questioned me on this before.

beaver
10-30-2008, 07:26 AM
Use the standard boat rod, somewhere between 5' and 6'. I use home made umbrellas, which I have coined "The Chandeliers of Death," but we'll leave the story behind that out, lets just they work well. If you are making your own don't be afraid to add spinner blades to the inside connections rather than shads with hooks. Blade, snap swivel, split ring, rig in that order. I only use hooks on the 6 arms, and the stinger down the middle. Cheaper than buying if you have the time. I've had success with leadcore line. Don't use too much in the Boston area because of all the small fish but they will work.

readyrock
11-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Where I fish on the Chessie , we use large umbrellas in the deep water . We are only allowed 2 hooks but normally just use one hook bait as a trailer . From the previous posts in this thread i take it that snags are prevalent and you will be fishing in shallower water . My suggestion is to use a smaller 4 arm umbrella with 6" shad teasers and a 3 oz bucktail or parachute with a 6" shad trailer . A 6' med-heavy boat rod matched with a penn 309 , 320 or 330 GTI spooled with 40 lb mono is perfect for this kind of fishing . Here is a pic of the kind of rig I'm talking about : http://www.junebugtackle.com/images/thumb_umb_12-4-complete.jpg You could also try a "spoonbrella" with a larger 9" shad on a parachute : http://www.junebugtackle.com/images/thumb_umb_12-4-sps.jpg

Surely Bassey
12-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Does a single treble hook count as 3 hooks??
If so then a needlefish lure with 2 treble hooks has 6 hooks. Is this a legal striped bass lure?