View Full Version : HOW DO YOU ATTACH A SLUGGO or FIN-S?

TheSurfcaster
10-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Lots of thoughts and suggestions on this in the past but I raise the question one more time.
How do you attach a 10 " or 12" Sluggo or Fin-S to either a 3 oz or 4oz jig even 5 oz without it spliting the Sluggo or Fin-S after making a few casts?
I've tried using plastic ties and tried different glues,(even Loctite Thread locker) the latest glue I've been using is Gorilla glue. I've tried filing/grinding the lead shank portion of the jig down all to prevent the spliting of the Sluggo or Fin-S. Anybody else?

Mike P
10-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Cut them at the fattest part, behind the head. An inch should do it. Then pinch the barb(s) off the jighead's collar, and use superglue to hold the plastic to the head. I've tried a bunch of glues, including both formulas of Zap-a-Gap, and found that the best is Loctite Precision super glue. Less than 2 bucks for 4 oz at Wally World.

tinyboatbigfish
10-25-2008, 02:20 PM
:kewl:i concure with mike p

JohnnyD
10-25-2008, 04:47 PM
That little barb seems to be the main cause of the sluggo splitting.

TheSurfcaster
10-29-2008, 05:00 AM
Cut them at the fattest part, behind the head. An inch should do it. Then pinch the barb(s) off the jighead's collar, and use superglue to hold the plastic to the head. I've tried a bunch of glues, including both formulas of Zap-a-Gap, and found that the best is Loctite Precision super glue. Less than 2 bucks for 4 oz at Wally World.

I picked up a small tube of the Loctite Precision glue and tired it. I also filed off the barb. I worked this magic on a few Sluggo's with 3 oz leads and now I just got to get out there and try them out.

Crafty Angler
10-29-2008, 06:24 AM
Geez, Mike - I gotta nominate ya for the title of World's Leading Authority on all things piscatorial regarding the art of this thing we do...

You're a warehouse of angling knowledge, pal - I'm serious, you've inspired me to a moment of sincerity.

Boy, is that rare for me...:hs:

kensac
11-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Cut back the head an inch or so, file off the barb and use zip ties tight 1/8" down from the jig. Works for me with no split or slippage.

lurch
11-04-2008, 08:32 AM

After cutting the barb apply the glue to the shaft and for a little extra hold apply some glue to the back of the lead head. There was a huge difference in holding power for me when adding the glue to the shaft.

The Dad Fisherman
11-04-2008, 09:09 AM
There was a huge difference in holding power for me when adding the glue to the shaft.

True...but doesn't that make it tougher to just roll over and go to sleep afterwards. :spin: