View Full Version : Surf Club Challenge - MS Tourney Wrapup

JohnR
10-26-2008, 12:04 PM
This morning (or perhaps last nights crazy weather) concluded the 2008 Surf Club Challenge to benefit the MS society.

Big thanks to Jim, Steve, and all of the folks who put this tourney together!

How did S-B do? Well, we didn't win but placed a respectable 4th out of 11 teams. Respectable because we did pretty good with the basses but we were unable to manage any bluefish- yep, no blues. Where is Clammer when he's needed.

Largest bass was 26#s
Biggest Blue 12 and change

RISSA took first
Narragansett Surfcasters 2nd
CT Surfcasters third
S-B fourth
not in best order: RIMS, Weekapaug, Newport, Pioneer, Hartford Surf, MSBA, MBBA rounded out the rest. I'll post the official results when I get them.

Team S-B had bass 25, 24, and 20 pounds for our top three - again no bluefish. Had we had 3 decent blues, we coulda been a contendah :deadhorse:

Last night, despite efforts to fish it, was a washout. literally.

Again, thanks to everyone that fished, the guys over running the tourney, and all that showed up for the cookout - that Soup was awesome!

redcrbbr
10-26-2008, 04:29 PM
My bad for not weighing in the 2 bluefish Milo and I had. Realized we had forgotten as we were going over the first bridge. Wouldn't have happened if weekapaug bait had been open.

ivanputski
10-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Congrats on the 4th place... I saw the look of disappointment on some of your faces when they announced it, and I would be too with the bass scores you guys had... the blues were THICK at watch hill saturday morning...I fished for Hartford Surf and was at the breakfast... Could not find a single bass in spots that I have found 20#+ fish in the last 4 weekends... tourny comes, nothing... thats how it goes. I'm one of the only younger guys in the club that will fish double all nighters no matter what in search of bass, and that lowers our chances big time... almost got washed off the rocks at watch hill light at 4am this morning! Again, congrats on 4th... wish you guys got into the 3 blues you needed....

JLH
10-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Was a great weekend even if the weather and bluefish didn't cooperate. Nice meeting some of you guys at the cookout.

Tried fishing Saturday night in some crazy conditions until around 1 when the lightning started but only got a few small bass. Got up at 4 and the winds had died so hit the beach but couldn't find the fish. Ran into Carl after calling it quits just before 8, thought about going to the breakfast but needed sleep...

Really can't believe I didn't get one stinking bluefish they have been harassing me all year and now nothing... :af:

JohnR
10-27-2008, 07:13 AM
IP - I was a little disappointed with myself for not being more aggressive on the bluefish but oh well :crying: - 0Next time, introduce yourself!

JLH - good meeting you Saturday :bl: . Interesting but I believe all of our team basses came from within 1/2 mile of each other even though we were all fishing seperately.

UserRemoved1
10-27-2008, 07:16 AM
nice job guys!

tynan19
10-27-2008, 05:37 PM
[QUOTE=ivanputski;632332]the blues were THICK at watch hill saturday morning...QUOTE]

Yeah but we didn't find any over 5 lbs. We had a dozen or so alone in the hr right before the cookout but didn't think those would help and I wasn't driving to Snug Harbor for that. :fishslap:

angler229
10-27-2008, 05:49 PM
I thought we would need at least 10 pound blues and probably released a have a dozen 7-8 pounders saturday morning. I did weigh in a 23 and change pound bass for SB hopefully that got counted in out total as well.

BassDawg
10-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Was a great weekend even if the weather and bluefish didn't cooperate. Nice meeting some of you guys at the cookout.

Tried fishing Saturday night in some crazy conditions until around 1 when the lightning started but only got a few small bass. Got up at 4 and the winds had died so hit the beach but couldn't find the fish. Ran into Carl after calling it quits just before 8, thought about going to the breakfast but needed sleep...

Really can't believe I didn't get one stinking bluefish they have been harassing me all year and now nothing... :af:

the breakfast was the best part!!!

good chow and a SHOT at sumthin' from the

raffle table,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yeah riiiiiii hite. i think Monsieur Paquette
won something, me and the Bossman ~~NADA.

i KNEW i shoulda hit The Hill SUN am, was sticking to the Q
and Quonny B&T's chili, coffee, and shelter thru the STORM.

George was very welcoming and it was nice to see Capt Don's tradition of staying open allnight Sat-Sun the weekend of the MS Tourney still going,,,,,,,,did i mention that there was chili and crackers and sum of the beefiest eeeeeels i've seen in a B&T available???

we'll get 'em next year Boss!!
:uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh:

tynan19
10-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Some pics from the tourny.

tynan19
10-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Big Surf.

tynan19
10-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Milo, Vick and RedCr

JohnR
10-29-2008, 08:38 AM
I thought we would need at least 10 pound blues and probably released a have a dozen 7-8 pounders saturday morning. I did weigh in a 23 and change pound bass for SB hopefully that got counted in out total as well.

Dan - nice fish - the bass certainly counted ;) (could have used the blues too :bl: ) - I think I was fishing withing headlight sight of you Friday night

Tynan - nice shots. Starfish modeling on the beach don't hurt either...

Here are a few:

JLH
10-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Looks like next year I’ll have to make a point of attending the breakfast!

Few pics I took - first is conditions at sunrise on Saturday Morning and second from Sunday Morning.

tynan19
10-29-2008, 10:47 AM
JLH nice sunrise. Naps?

Starfish
10-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Great shots everyone! But looking at those pics doesn't even begin to describe the surf we were in. It was a great time!!:spin:

t.orlando
10-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Very nice pic JLH, heres my one pic I took

angler229
10-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Dan - nice fish - the bass certainly counted ;) (could have used the blues too :bl: ) - I think I was fishing withing headlight sight of you Friday night

Tynan - nice shots. Starfish modeling on the beach don't hurt either...

Here are a few:

From the pictures most likely, that and I did cover spots from Narragansett to Westerly so there's a good chance I was close to alot of people at some point. It was a nice excuse to back to my old stomping grounds.

ivanputski
10-29-2008, 09:36 PM
where and how are you storing your cameras while you fish???

redcrbbr
10-30-2008, 01:32 AM
I store my cam in a ziplock.
here are a few more pics

tynan19
10-30-2008, 04:03 PM
where and how are you storing your cameras while you fish???

My Olympus is waterproof. I know a few guys who use the Pelican Boxs. I ruined my wife's camera on a kayak trip when it was in one of those folding dry bags so this time I went waterproof. There are a few brands that make them.

JLH
10-30-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm using a waterproof camera as well (Olympus SW 720). Never felt safe bringing my other camera into the surf or out in the kayak so I picked one up in the spring.