View Full Version : HELP! please

Channell99
10-26-2008, 05:42 PM
I know this has probably been cover before but does anyone know any books or websites that teach you how to make plugs because i have a lathe and would like to start building them over the winter but have know idea how to start any info would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Channell99

Grapenuts
10-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Lots of guys boston south..spit out a town ,could be a live one near you.

Mr. Krinkle
10-26-2008, 06:25 PM
No need to look any further. Many of the builders here are very helpful. The best thing to do for a beginner is try emulating different plugs that you like. See if you can get your version to do what they do. Then start messing around with styles of your own. This hobby can be frustrating, but very rewarding. There is a lot of trial and error. Good luck and have fun.

Pete F.
10-26-2008, 09:02 PM
There are a bunch of threads in a subforum of this one that people have found important for one reason or another. It's labeled favorites I think.

BigFish
10-26-2008, 10:15 PM
As others have said.....study the plugs you want to make! Pay close attention to weighting, lip placement, hook placement. When I started I just chucked a piece of wood and started to emulate a plug I liked....happened to be a pencil popper. Nice easy plug to start out with, its a quick study. There are 2 things I look for when I build a plug......I look for form (good clean lines and attractive curves.....proper placement of all hardware) and most importantly....function (that is that the plug performs in its finished state exactly as I envisioned in my mind). So get yourself some wood to first practice turning on.....MAKE SURE YOUR TOOLS ARE SHARP! This is the first lesson......the most dangerous tool is a dull skew! A nice sharp skew will make the turning easier! Good luck and have fun!