View Full Version : Basement Waterproofing

JamesJet
10-31-2008, 10:04 PM
Anyone have any stories? Success/failure/worth the $ for the professionals? I have a basement water issue that I am sick of in a non finished basement. It is bad (inch or more of water) during spring melt or several days of storms in a back room under where an addition was built. Problem is that this back room is where I want to set up the workshop area so I need to either fix it or go another year without a workshop and my wife saying there's fishing crap all over "her" side of the basement. PM's are welcome if you dont want to mention specific companies online.

Thanks

HESH2
11-01-2008, 06:57 AM
make sure rain gutters downs are taking water far enough from area

UserRemoved1
11-01-2008, 07:14 AM
And look at the outside first. Make sure the pitch is proper to funnel water away from the house...put in some dry wells if you can. Gutters to funnel away from bad areas. French drain is the right way to fix a high water table. $$$ though. There's alot of scams out there be careful.

Swimmer
11-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Anyone have any stories? Success/failure/worth the $ for the professionals? I have a basement water issue that I am sick of in a non finished basement. It is bad (inch or more of water) during spring melt or several days of storms in a back room under where an addition was built. Problem is that this back room is where I want to set up the workshop area so I need to either fix it or go another year without a workshop and my wife saying there's fishing crap all over "her" side of the basement. PM's are welcome if you dont want to mention specific companies online.

Thanks

The first problem is that the basment belongs to the guy. 30 years ago when we moved into our house I told my wife the 1st and 2nd floors were hers to do as she pleased. Cellar was and is still mine. I have my wifes permission to type this response.

JamesJet
11-01-2008, 08:59 PM
The first problem is that the basment belongs to the guy. 30 years ago when we moved into our house I told my wife the 1st and 2nd floors were hers to do as she pleased. Cellar was and is still mine. I have my wifes permission to type this response.

Very true, but I really never wanted thw side with the washer and dryer...

As far as the outside I absolutely agree, and I have addressed it as much as possible. I live in Melrose in an area with a fairly high water table anyways so its not an easy battle.

fishsmith
11-02-2008, 09:49 AM
JJ, I live in a high water table area also, my solution was to dig a hole outside my back basement door, put a 5 gallon bucket with a bunch of holes drilled in it, then when the water starts to rise, bucket fills first and my sump pump can get it before it seeps thru basement floor (or in thru the basement door).
Search the Scuppers, a few years ago this issue had been discussed.
Good Luck, a wet basement is no fun.