View Full Version : So Is It Over Or What?

Crafty Angler
11-05-2008, 06:40 AM
Ya know, I wish there was a date when you had to stop fishing for bass so I could just quit and stop freezing my butt off and beating up this old carcass of mine :hs:

Oh man, I need a fish intervention....maybe togging will help, it's that time of year when an old guy's fancy should be turning to thoughts of blackfish and a hot kettle of Drunken Blackfish Chowda at the end of a cold day.

I used to tell myself I could quit anytime I wanted to...:smokin:

vanstaal
11-05-2008, 07:41 AM
I used to tell myself I could quit anytime I wanted to...

yea right :rotflmao:

CaptMike
11-05-2008, 10:36 AM
it's trout time for me

FishermanTim
11-05-2008, 10:55 AM
I will say that it's close to quittin time, but there are still some fish to be had.
I fished the canal last night and managed over a half dozen fish with one keeper (35"+) to boot. The conditions were fantastic: no wind, flat water and fish breaking sporadically (you could hear them for most of the time I was there.)

tynan19
11-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Trout and Salmon time for me as well. Took my boys to SoCo yesterday and spent the whole day on the beaches. We didn't see anything anywhere.

JLH
11-05-2008, 11:07 AM
I’ll make a few more trips in the surf, even though the last two have been skunkings I still have hope there are a few nice fish around.

Will continue blackfishing until around Thanksgiving which is when I usually winterize the boat.

Do a little river fishing for trout in early December and then hit the ice as soon as some of the lakes in NW CT start freezing which is usually around Christmas.

BatesBCheatin
11-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Three 15lb fish the last 24 hours... but a lot of work just for those. This east wind has possibilities IMO. May give it a try tonight.

Got Stripers
11-05-2008, 06:02 PM
One phase, winter holdover fishing has started for me, which I find to be a welcome simple pleasure. Nothing like gearing down and fishing one rod, one jig, one bait (4" Legerunner Split tail if you had to ask) and knowing your going to catch. For me this time of year is relaxing, just hit my spots, bottom half of the outgoing and catching is a given.

ilovetwofish
11-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Ditto

One phase, winter holdover fishing has started for me, which I find to be a welcome simple pleasure. Nothing like gearing down and fishing one rod, one jig, one bait (4" Legerunner Split tail if you had to ask) and knowing your going to catch. For me this time of year is relaxing, just hit my spots, bottom half of the outgoing and catching is a given.

jimmy z
11-05-2008, 07:02 PM
A trip to SoCo this weekend will determine the season's end for me.:kewl:

Sea Dangles
11-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Kieth Salisbury has fished the race and valiant 4 times in the last 2 weeks without a decent fish to show. I would say it's over or they have lockjaw.

tattoobob
11-05-2008, 09:13 PM
I wish I could fish this week

I am on Block Island and fell down Black rock bluff Tuesday morning

and broke my ankle I am all done, I think I'm heading home tomorrow

BassDawg
11-05-2008, 09:23 PM
Holy Shiite Muslim, Bob!!!

sorry to hear about the fall and fracture
:doh: :doh: :doh:

hope you heal quickly and safe travels home, lad!

Starfish
11-05-2008, 09:34 PM
OMG...Bob I wish you well...quickly! Thats not any fun being on BI and not being able to fish it!:doh:

But I guess I am all done...I put my gloves away and my pole is hanging from the ceiling in the garage. It brings a tear to my eye as I think about how much fun I had this year! Thanks to everyone involved in my best year out there yet!:wiggle:

P.s. Snowmobiling is right around the corner!! :boots:

pbadad
11-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Bob sorry bout your ankle. That decend is hairy especially in the dark. I will be there next weekend. I will be extra careful. Get well.

Crafty Angler
11-06-2008, 05:47 AM
I wish I could fish this week

I am on Block Island and fell down Black rock bluff Tuesday morning

and broke my ankle I am all done, I think I'm heading home tomorrow

:eek::eek::eek:

Bob, that blows

Were you with DZ? Man, getting hurt on the Island can't be a lot of fun. I used to hurt myself on the Block every time I was there but usually it was a fall from a high stool :hihi:

If you know any locals, ask 'em about Lou Gaffett's Monday Night Club. It was legendary - they had lines secured to one of the support posts at the end of the bar so you could be lashed upright if you were too drunk to sit, much less stand.

Ahhhhh...those were the days! :buds:

But anyway, I'm curious, how did you get treated on the Island, I'm wondering :huh:

Man, getting back up the bluffs must've been a beyotch :hs:

Clogston29
11-06-2008, 06:26 AM
wow, sorry to hear that bob. hope you heal up quick.

numbskull
11-06-2008, 06:45 AM
That's brutal. Sorry.

nightfighter
11-06-2008, 07:07 AM
Ugh.... That sux. Hope you can still work after it has been cast. I am also hoping it is your left, so you can still drive.....

Raven
11-06-2008, 07:36 AM
your on there BOB-sorry to hear this

find an old sweat shirt to cut off the sleeves
to put over the top of your crutches.
(wrap and tuck -em under)

i highly recommend finding a physical therapy
location that has a heated wading pool which
makes rebuilding your calve and ankle strength
a whole lot easier when you only weigh half as much
while in the water... until your fully bearing weight again

even though this is many weeks away it's definitely worth considering.

make sure to ask for E-stim as it works wonders too.

heal up good...

HESH2
11-06-2008, 07:39 AM
bob that sucks wishing you well.i'm still at it some small blues all to show for it.water temps still pretty warm so maybe gonna be a couple more weeks for it to happen where i'm fishing.

tattoobob
11-06-2008, 08:01 AM
:eek::eek::eek:

Bob, that blows

Were you with DZ? Man, getting hurt on the Island can't be a lot of fun. I used to hurt myself on the Block every time I was there but usually it was a fall from a high stool :hihi:

If you know any locals, ask 'em about Lou Gaffett's Monday Night Club. It was legendary - they had lines secured to one of the support posts at the end of the bar so you could be lashed upright if you were too drunk to sit, much less stand.

Ahhhhh...those were the days! :buds:

But anyway, I'm curious, how did you get treated on the Island, I'm wondering :huh:

Man, getting back up the bluffs must've been a beyotch :hs:

I was with Tagger, DZ fished late into the night, Me and Tagger got up at 4 am to fish dusk.

There is a medical center here now they have x-rays and could look at it right away.

Getting up that bluff wasn't to easy I used my rod as a cain and took a while

Ugh.... That sux. Hope you can still work after it has been cast. I am also hoping it is your left, so you can still drive.....

It is my right foot and it is in an air cast so I can take it off.

piemma
11-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Bob;
Sorry to hear of your mishap. Take care of it.

ripitsik
11-06-2008, 09:35 AM
<------ PT here... E-Stim is considered a contraindication for any skeletal fracture, but indictated for SPRAINS not fracture. Bob if you need any advice please ask, check your pm. always willing to help a fellow fisherman

Crafty Angler
11-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Bob, ask DZ where 'Thumper's Rock' is - I'm pretty sure you could fish it wearing an air cast if you wanted to...it's sorta near the Chute. Well, kind of -

Only kidding, just trying to give you a laugh to make ya feel better - hope you heal quickly.

Raven
11-06-2008, 10:23 AM
<------ PT here... E-Stim is considered a contraindication for any skeletal fracture, but indictated for SPRAINS not fracture. Bob if you need any advice please ask, check your pm. always willing to help a fellow fisherman

i totally disagree having fractured mine .....and speaking from experience... plus my wife is in PT as i write this and the E stim she had made a world of difference on her fractured ankle...she was able to almost bear full weight directly afterwards

Finaddict
11-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Bob - man sorry to hear of your injury, recover quickly.

nightfighter
11-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Nope, not over yet here on North Shore as of this AM.

davisd
11-08-2008, 06:57 PM
:sleeps::sleeps:What ya kidding me with this weather it will never be over. Going to Bed now gotta be somewhere at 5:00 AM with some snakes!!!!

BatesBCheatin
11-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Nothing but a 1/2 dozen mini-bass the last 8 hours fished on big plugs. Great to be out in there though... Can't beat the warm weather. Might be it for me @ the ditch this year. Time to concentrate on other areas to the south until December.

TattooBob: Yeah that really sucks. An optimist would say that at least it didn't happen at the beginning of the season and you have the off-season to rehab it.