View Full Version : Season Highlights

BigFish
11-09-2008, 05:25 PM
What were the highlights of your season? Did you have a personal best or fish a place you had been dreaming about or did you have a particular trip this season when the fishing was just amazing??? Did you reach any of the goals you may have set for yourself? Also how would you rate your season??

afterhours
11-09-2008, 05:37 PM
pretty uneventful season for me...highlights would have to be cutty trips with friends and being at the canal more than a few times for some super topwater action.

BigFish
11-09-2008, 06:33 PM
I would say I had a pretty great season! My biggest goal for the season was to go over 40 pounds but that did not happen....however my second goal was to set a new PB and I did that at 32 pounds and I was pretty happy with that! The fact that there were some great guys from the site around to help me enjoy the moment was great too! I had a great trip down the Cape with Angie and the kids in July and they had one of their friends along and to see them hammer away at 10 pound blues on topwater plugs for 2 straight days was pretty sweet! My biggest personal highlight was that I spent so much time fishing the canal this season, a spot that has been nothing but torment to me in the past! This season I spent maybe 60% of my time there and did extremely well there! The wetsuit was also another highlight.....it put me in an entirely different comfort zone and because of this my fishing was much improved! Great 08' season and I plan on taking my 40 in 09'....guaranteed!

JohnR
11-09-2008, 06:40 PM
I had a lot of great times and a lot of season's best. Soon, when I get my mind off the season, I'm going to go into some detail and really appreciate what a year it was for me.

Until then, I'm going to leave a picture of the season highlight for me, my son, surfcasting (OK, inside-the-breachway-casting ain't a word)...

BassDawg
11-09-2008, 06:41 PM
best highlight, HANDS DOWN, was 0330 of
9/21, first cast, feisty and juicy snake~~
with The Striper Cup still on "our" mantle,
when i ALMOST landed my first fiddy++,
in the eleventeenth hour of the TITLE defense.
THAT waz some SERIOUS adrenlyn, gents!!!
:jump: :jump: :jump:

PB, YUP!!
35#+ Fatty; the night before on
9/20 ~~in the pre-dawn hours,,,,,,
ona BEEFY eeeeeeeeel, first cast.

didn't quite hit me goals of:
1)40#'s and up
2)fishing Cutty, Block, or MV
3)catching a striper w/ a jig anda pig
4)catching a striper w/ a needle fish plug
5)landing either SPECIES during the MS Surf Club Challenge

did hit me goals of:
1)a new PB
2)honing in the Honeyhole
3)catching a striper w/ a rigged eeeel
4)learning two new SPOTS on The OTHER Cape
5)keeping an accurate and complete season of basslawgs

how would i RATE this year??

SLOW to start,
SLAMMIN' during the moons that lead up to the Fall Run, and
DEAD at the end ~~since work prevented me from participating
in the FRun, AT ALL!!! is it me, or was this an extreeeeeeemly quick Run??

OVERALL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,my best season yet, as i turned the corner
on the 30 to high 30lb fish and landed them with decent consistency.
and i had an AMAZING 8 weeks of fishing, from Aug's Full to Oct's New!!! also,
i crossed the threshold to handling and fishing effectively BIG MOMBO eels :heybaby: :heybaby: :heybaby:

BigFish
11-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Kids a natural John! Great form! Did he make it across??:claps:

striperman36
11-09-2008, 06:51 PM
What season?

tynan19
11-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Great picture John!

BassDawg
11-09-2008, 07:56 PM
nice pic of the budding young
surfcaster,,,,,,,,,,,,JohnR!!

gooooood STUFF!!
:bl: :bl: :bl:

ilovetwofish
11-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Nothing real huge this year but caught more fish between 28 and 34 inches then ever before and released all but two.I DID MORE NIGHT FISHING THEN EVER BEFORE AND THAT IS THE WAY TO GO.I will BE FISHING THE THAMES THIS WINTER FOR THE FIRST TIME CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT! Next year I will get my fish over 35 lbs.

ProfessorM
11-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Well any year I am still standing after the fishing is done is good in my book. I had lots of highlights. I don't really judge highlights on size of fish but more on how I enjoyed myself. I am lucky enough to be able to fish most any weekday I want so I get to enjoy the lighter crowds. I also fish several different ways too so boredom never really takes hold. Spring I fish the tin skiff and plugs, mostly top water, and got to fish side by side several members, biteme ,ernie, Slip,Lower. Had a skiff day out on the flats with Flap and Saltfly one day. As usual the whole spring was a highlight. Then the canal came into play and was able to be there for several of the stellar days we had in June. Catching 30 plus lb fish at 11 in the morning with top water plugs. It doesn't get any better than that. Highlights every day during that stretch. Got to fish with Slingha and Big fish on one of those days. Fantastic top water action. They were hooked after that. I saw both of them many times down there after that. I also saw at the very min. 30 plus other members within the next week or 2. Then it was commercial season and into the 19' boat. My highlight was several all niters trolling CC Bay after work, something I look forward to every year, and the usual weekday stints. Still have not caught up on my sleep yet from those. Started out great for a couple weeks with several nice drag pullers but ended up being pretty below average for me. I was ready for the close 3 weeks before it came. The bluefish and northerly winds killed me. Then it was back to the tin skiff and raking sand eels and fishing Westport for fluke. Got a few but not like last year. Fished in striperman36, Bill's, boat and we caught bluefish along with 100 other boats, no bass but a nice day on the water. Then back to hitting the canal with eels after work and plugs at daybreak. Again meeting a few more members I didn't know. I was next to Lawrence when he had his PB that morning. I had been there all nite with eels and as it got light I called over is that you L.. I kind of new it was, as he likes the same spot. No bike. We fished the east tide and had a few nice fish. I gave up on the canal a week ago today. Tues. last week I had another of my highlights as I fished with Numbskull, George, in his boat casting plugs along his favorite area. We didn't catch much but it was a very enjoyable, informative, trip as I have always wanted to do that area and fishing plugs is the best and George is one of the best at it. He also gave me my best highlight last year when he got me into my first Albie. I was all geared up for chasing them this year but it didn't materialize. I did a trip 2 weeks ago in the tin boat along Sandy Neck on a Monday not much and then the following Monday a trip off of Gooseberry's ramp in my tin boat, again not much. I am done as of today, I am pretty sure. Going to go let 2 dozen eels go at the canal tomorrow on my way to work. I am sure that will be the highlight of their year. I am one lucky guy to be able to enjoy as much of this great sport we all luv. and I take nothing for granted. Keep it fun and have a safe and healthy new year and I look forward to fishing and meeting more of you guys next year. Peace. Paul

BigFish
11-10-2008, 12:11 AM
Peace back to you Paul! Another highlight for me was fishing next to Professor Moriarty so many mornings this season! Some of the most fun times I had all year! (Is that rubber I smell?!):rotflmao: Professor Moriarty is one of the classiest acts you will find on the water anywhere!:kewl: He has a bike and we still found ourselves side by side on the canal many times so either I walked a long way or he is lazy!!:rotflmao: See you next Spring at the turn Paul!

numbskull
11-10-2008, 07:00 AM
Sitting in a hole on a distant rock beach while the most intense lightning storm of the season passed over me.

UserRemoved1
11-10-2008, 07:05 AM
John great pic. That is awesome :kewl:

I had a lot of great times and a lot of season's best. Soon, when I get my mind off the season, I'm going to go into some detail and really appreciate what a year it was for me.

Until then, I'm going to leave a picture of the season highlight for me, my son, surfcasting (OK, inside-the-breachway-casting ain't a word)...

HESH2
11-10-2008, 07:14 AM
great pic john,remember 1st get together when he was just a baby.i'm guessing i'm getting old but still at it.

Sea Dangles
11-10-2008, 08:51 AM
I have to say there were a couple of highlights that were memorable for me this year. The foremost was taking my oldest son out for a sunset trip to the Elizabeth's when he caught a beauty of a bass at 37#. The smile on his face is something I will ALWAYS remember. He took the helm of the tintanic all the way back to Falmouth and then put the boat on the spot after I backed in the trailer at the ramp. The other highlight was taking advantage of a forecast which enabled my brother and I to take the tinny across CC bay to fish for bluefin. We left the east end of the canal at sunrise and made the run in about 45 minutes, it was flat as a pancake as predicted. We saw many breaking fish and hit them on the head to no avail. I called Keeprreaper and asked for advice on how to elicit a strike. After some wireless coaching I hooked up and fought a fish to the boat in 45 minutes.A swing and miss on the gaff combined with a straightened RonZ hook enabled the tuna to see another sunrise and ALL parties left happy. Nothing compares to time spent with family and friends on the water. These are the memories that not only get me through the winter but will also be cherished for a lifetime.

doc
11-10-2008, 10:38 AM
for me the highlight was taking my kids to a local dock so they could jig with sabiki rigs catching 6" baby bluefish, finger herring and mackerel...they would put them in a bucket...i would then live-line one when they were not looking and catch big bass and blues...and to see the look on their face..'how did you catch that dad?"...and having my 6 year old daugher reel in a 20lb bass...yelling the whole time that 'the rod is going to break'!

Sea Flat
11-10-2008, 10:45 AM
The best memory from the '08 season for me will be the unbelievable first week of June at the canal. So many large fish!!

I will also remember many an Elizabeth Island trip with many keepers caught even though I did not hit any giants out there.

I will also remember heading out to Stellwagen Bank for the first time in my 18' boat and seeing the whales come up. Even though i was unable to hook up to any tuna it was an amazing sight.

Clogston29
11-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Most memorable night as far as results this year was a lonely, cloudy night in mid September. Conditions and tides really didn’t line up this year for most of my favorite spots, but they did that night. Was into fish right away but as the tide dropped it just kept getting better. Got my three biggest fish of the season on three out of four casts in the middle of the peak of the action. Weighed in a 42 for the Striper Cup that night and had two better fish. First was on an eel, next two on riggies.

Most memorable fish was taken on a snotty, rough night. I was pretty convinced we wouldn’t be able to fish effectively because it was so rough, but I put on a big ass diving jointed plug and was on to a 35 right away. Took two waves during the fight that actually slid me a few feet across the rock I was standing on in my korkers, leaving nice white drag marks behind. Definitely scary, but fun at the same time. Backed off after that fish because that’s not an area where you just climb back up if you get knocked off your rock, your in a lot of trouble if you go down there.

Swimming around on a dark, calm night on Cutty was another memorable experience. I tested a lot of my “Oh, I wouldn’t swim that far” thoughts that night and really became a ton more comfortable in the water and with swimming greater distances. Only landed one modest fish, but still a great night.

capecodkid
11-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Probably the best was being out at Regal Sword at sunrise to thousands of whales spouting and jumping and no other boats around. None of the other crew on the boat had seen that many whales in one place yet either. Otherwise just a regular season with not many big fish caught. I made a goal to learn 20 new spots to fish harder in coming years, and completed that.

Rob Rockcrawler
11-10-2008, 05:01 PM
The june canal fiasco was a riot. First trip to block a place that ive casted towards a 1000 times was really great. Learned a lot from a guy who has fished it for 30 years. Blitz of 13-16 lb blues in Ri with my cousin whos biggest fish up to that time was a 20" schoolie. Leaving RI that night at 3 AM to hit a tide at the canal and got a 47" fish. Broke the PB 3 times, all in inches topped off with the 47. Finally got fish on a needle, i know a topwater fling at the canal isnt the typical needle scenario, but it worked for me. And finally getting a fish in a needle the way its supposed to be fished. All in all, a great season. Found some new spots, caught the most big fish i have ever caught in a season. And got into a nice mess of good fish with the GF, i hoped it reignited he flame of fishing.

MarshCappa
11-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Kind of a wierd season for me this year. I didn't accomplish my goal of catching something on live eels but I did manage to catch big blues on live pogies which was a first for me. I got the snag down and enjoyed some good fights on monster blues in Dux bay at the end of the season. I did manage a personal best but it's meager by this boards standards. It was caught the Thurs before Memorial Day on a top water plug. The main highlight for me though was watching my son catch a dink on his Spped Racer rod and being so thrilled about it. Spending time with him on the water is my favorite thing to do. Is it Spring yet?

Rockport24
11-10-2008, 06:31 PM
and having my 6 year old daugher reel in a 20lb bass...yelling the whole time that 'the rod is going to break'!

Doc, that is awesome!!!

luds
11-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Swimming around on a dark, calm night on Cutty was another memorable experience. I tested a lot of my “Oh, I wouldn’t swim that far” thoughts that night and really became a ton more comfortable in the water and with swimming greater distances. Only landed one modest fish, but still a great night.

I think that was probably my highlight also. Overall getting more comfortable in a wet suit was a huge benefit.

Plenty of good fish but nothing that quite satisfied me. I just wanted one 40 for some Striper Cup glory :bl:. Sweeping the North Shore Tourney with TDF, Clogston29 was another highlight.

BassDawg
11-11-2008, 06:37 AM
I think that was probably my highlight also. Overall getting more comfortable in a wet suit was a huge benefit.

Plenty of good fish but nothing that quite satisfied me. I just wanted one 40 for some Striper Cup glory :bl:. Sweeping the North Shore Tourney with TDF, Clogston29 was another highlight.

CONGRATS to you and yer CREW!!
:claps: :claps: :claps:

would that be the one run by Winchester's???

or, yet another weigh to earn schwag and bragging rights???
just curious as to which tourney you mean :huh: :huh:

Fish_Eye
11-11-2008, 07:28 AM
This year I have a lot to be thankful for:

Surviving a heart attack was a big thumbs up!

Getting back in the water and feeling terrific after that little cardiac event was truly special.

Filming a life-long fishing buddy going for a kayak ride with a big Pacific Sailfish at the end of his line...very interesting to watch the battle from underwater.

Capturing a photo of a leaping dorado just as it cleared the water...one of those split second deals where it was turned just the right way and in just the right position...what can I say, this is what photographers/videographers live for.

Being able to swim with a school of FULL SIZE bunker in clear enough water to actually see and film them.

Fishing trips with a friend who beat all the odds and survived stage four cancer.

luds
11-11-2008, 08:22 AM
CONGRATS to you and yer CREW!!
:claps: :claps: :claps:

would that be the one run by Winchester's???

or, yet another weigh to earn schwag and bragging rights???
just curious as to which tourney you mean :huh: :huh:

http://northshorestriper.com/standings.htm

What's the details on the Winchester one? I always love a good tourney. :uhuh:

Canalratt1
11-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Hitting the Canal and doing very little for hours on a snotty, rainy trip. Popping a 47" 36 lber then later a 49" 40+ that I released my PB!

johnny ducketts
11-11-2008, 10:56 AM
My most memorable moment was going out this spring with Biteme and Mr.Striper and catching my first keepers of the year on my own stuff. Losing my first ho'd plug a yellow Rockfish darter, the same day. Due to work I fished sporadically during the summer and missed the entire fall run. It was still a successful season imho, and I can't wait until next year.

Polar Express
11-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Just being on the water and spending time with my nephews and of course the new boat was awsome.

fishbones
11-11-2008, 12:55 PM
My most memorable trip was on the boat with my dad in early June. A flat calm night with big 20# + bass slamming pencil poppers every cast. That same night, I picked up my first fish on one of my own plugs and it was my best of the season. All in all a good year, but I have to get out more next season.

Finaddict
11-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Overall an interesting season for me ... probably my least productive season since before 1990 as far as numbers and sizes go ... and of course did not have the flexibility that I formerlly had ...

... but also spent more time one-on-one with my three-year-old daughter ... so I really cannot complain all that much, as she's an amazing little girl ...

... probably a few of my more memorable experiences include staying too long on a bar out in the middle of Joppa Flats so that I am wading back toward shore in water up to my chin, a little discerning ... and when I emerged from the water, the two belts I had to stop water from entering my waders released and allowed my waders to fill completely with water ... some guy was sitting on the shore taking photographs ...

... and of course one September weekend on the north shore fishing non-stop ... literally ... night, morning, noon and evening ... and getting good action on spooks, very often alone in a spot that is typically crowded ... very peaceful and zen-like, the kind of fishing I really enjoy - just me, great water conditions with lots of white water but also fishable and no one else around to get in the way and responsive fish.

Finaddict
11-11-2008, 10:36 PM
... oops, also catching two legal size lobsters back-to-back on eels while fishing the canal next to TDF who was catching bass back-to-back on eels, very odd but enjoyable all the same ... these things grabbed my eels and held on so that I could show them off to other anglers along the bank.

Wound up getting no fin fish that night/morning on eels, but did manage fish on plugs ...