View Full Version : Shore and boat access threatened in barrington

Young Salt
11-09-2008, 05:40 PM
I am the vice-chairman for the RISAA public access committee. I am writing this with the hope that you will be able to attend a very important meeting on Wednesday November 19 at the Town Library auditorium (upstairs) at 7:30 pm.

You may have already heard that this year, attempts have been made to restrict nighttime parking at the Daunis right of way, which is located at the end of Nayatt road. The two parking spots on the right of way is the only way to access the shore for miles in either direction, and restricting nighttime parking would eliminate the prime hours for fishing. Regardless of the outcome, this decision will set precedent throughout the state.

In addition to this, the council will now also consider doing the same at the boat ramp at Haines state park…one of the best and most popular boat ramps in the area.

We need town residents to speak out against these restrictions. Please attend this meeting and state that you live in town and want the right of way to remain open and accessible to the public twenty four hours a day. If you can’t attend the meeting for any reason, please write the town council stating your position. If you are married I encourage you to have your spouse attend or write a letter as well.

We also need people like me, who doesn’t live in town, but use both areas to be there and let the town council know how these ordinances would negatively affect you.

If you like I can email you a short letter, where all you will have to do is fill in you name and address.

afterhours
11-09-2008, 06:01 PM
dave, is risaa sending legal representation to this meeting? and what about crmc? to surrender juristiction of state parks and row's to towns and cities is assinine and will surley have an adverse affect on public access.

Young Salt
11-09-2008, 06:14 PM
I don't know if our guy will be there for sure...the crmc has washed there hands on the night time access here, hopefully the DEM will take a stand at the boat ramp.

JohnR
11-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Because this would be a change for the worse...

Crafty Angler
11-12-2008, 09:16 AM
This will be a lousy precedent if it passes :hs:

We've got a couple of issues on the Island here - one of which I may get started on soon - it's starting to get me PO'd and anyone can tell ya it's not smart to pi$$ off a Portagee even if he's only a half-breed :whackin:

Fisherman's rights to the shore in the RI constitution go back to the King Charles Charter of 1661 and there's no question about it's stand on the issue.

If I had to guess I'd say CRMC was told to lay off given the location and the neighborhood and threats of litigation - somebody's gotta pay for the lawyers unless you get one to do it pro bono - for free - and the State doesn't have the money to pay for 'em right now.

Is Bob Moeller still chairman of that RISAA access committee?

JohnR
11-12-2008, 10:18 AM
This will be a lousy precedent if it passes :hs:

We've got a couple of issues on the Island here - one of which I may get started on soon - it's starting to get me PO'd and anyone can tell ya it's not smart to pi$$ off a Portagee even if he's only a half-breed :whackin:

Fisherman's rights to the shore in the RI constitution go back to the King Charles Charter of 1661 and there's no question about it's stand on the issue.

If I had to guess I'd say CRMC was told to lay off given the location and the neighborhood and threats of litigation - somebody's gotta pay for the lawyers unless you get one to do it pro bono - for free - and the State doesn't have the money to pay for 'em right now.

Is Bob Moeller still chairman of that RISAA access committee?

I might be wrong but I think CRMS thinks that their job - ie the access, is not in doubt but it's the town's call on access to the acces - cheap, but I think that is why they are laughing their tail off sitting on sidelines

Crafty Angler
11-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Hmmm...let me try to unravel this :huh:

So is it just the town trying to eliminate parking to shut the place down - a la Middletown with the Clambake Club. That still makes it a de facto closure -

I dunno, somebody help the dizzy old bastard out here :wave:

I'm not that familiar with the most recent particulars, I guess...

You know, if you had a pro bono guy to do the lawyering, I think a lawsuit against the Town of Bore-ington would be in order if it hasn't already been done.

God, the idiots in that town are unbearably bourgeois - classic old-line Republican types. Guess they just don't want to allow seemy fishing people there - unless, of course, they're using a long wand.

I'm telling ya, biggest group of pretentious hypocrites I've ever known in my dealings with them - completely dry town, more clinical closet alcoholics than any other place in the state :hs:

Raven
11-13-2008, 06:09 AM

sounds like a printing of that charter and posting of it at
all r.o.w.'s would be in order. :rollem:

JohnR
11-13-2008, 08:03 AM
Chuckles, yes, you are correct. But the yahooooos will say that constitutional access to the right of way in 18whatever didn't include pahking spots for the old buggy, horse drawn. :devil2:

Crafty Angler
11-13-2008, 08:11 AM
No, I agree with you on that point, Cap - I know what their argument is, it was tried on Tuckerman Avenue in Middletown to shut down fishing at the Clambake Club at the end of Easton's Point and failed. And believe me, the members at the CC have the where-with-all to buy and sell those idiots in Bore-ington by the gross ten times a day

It really is a de facto closure and a violation of Fisherman's Rights - don't know if Bob Moeller is still the RISAA point man, but RISAA was involved in the Clambake Club issue and I would think it's a precedent.

Hey, what do I know - I'm not a lawyer, I just send checks to mine on a semi-regular basis :hs:

I can't imagine RISAA not having a lawyer there and actively involved.

Crafty Angler
11-13-2008, 08:15 AM
sounds like a printing of that charter and posting of it at
all r.o.w.'s would be in order. :rollem:

Ya know, Raven, I think that's a capital idea -

Then at least the yayhoos would know what the basis in law is for the rights of humble fishermen since pre-Revolutionary times - regardless of how much they spent to buy the waterfront.

I would think that oughta put their D.A.R. panties in a knot :hihi:

ronfish
11-13-2008, 08:37 AM
I am the vice-chairman for the RISAA public access committee. I am writing this with the hope that you will be able to attend a very important meeting on Wednesday November 19 at the Town Library auditorium (upstairs) at 7:30 pm.

You may have already heard that this year, attempts have been made to restrict nighttime parking at the Daunis right of way, which is located at the end of Nayatt road. The two parking spots on the right of way is the only way to access the shore for miles in either direction, and restricting nighttime parking would eliminate the prime hours for fishing. Regardless of the outcome, this decision will set precedent throughout the state.

In addition to this, the council will now also consider doing the same at the boat ramp at Haines state park…one of the best and most popular boat ramps in the area.

We need town residents to speak out against these restrictions. Please attend this meeting and state that you live in town and want the right of way to remain open and accessible to the public twenty four hours a day. If you can’t attend the meeting for any reason, please write the town council stating your position. If you are married I encourage you to have your spouse attend or write a letter as well.

We also need people like me, who doesn’t live in town, but use both areas to be there and let the town council know how these ordinances would negatively affect you.

If you like I can email you a short letter, where all you will have to do is fill in you name and address.Dave- If you wouldn't mind PMing me the short letter, I can't make it as I have to work that night, plus other appointments during the day. Ron(ronfish)
PS-Didn't the State stop Barrington from getting control of Haines park a few years ago because of the restrictions that Barrington is talking about now? ronfish

afterhours
11-16-2008, 08:16 AM
ttt. this is huge guys! this could set precedent over ALL state parks, access points, boat ramps. bring a freind to this meeting we gotta show bigtime support!

rphud
11-16-2008, 08:38 AM
The only effective thing I have seen here in CT was one completely pissed off lawyer that took the town to court. Think I heard of the same on LI. I have seen mass mobilization work with the Feds though. Towns basically don't give a s##t unless you are paying taxes there. Even when you show them a copy of the state constitution. Is there a lawyer in the house?

Sounds like the state folks are largely malfeasant on this one. Not that means much to them usually. You could try that one on them, at that point they may realize they are in for a legal fight either way and my decide to do their job and enter the fray.

Raven
11-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Ya know, Raven, I think that's a capital idea - :hihi:
--------------------------------------------------------------
I don't even get to go fishing .... Crafty. (this YEAR)
so i think completely differently (out of the box) than most of you guys...
i haven't fished a day this year..."because of disasters"
and i consider it the very worst year of my entire life.
but,,,, (not complaining) i'm just trying to survive this.
~
I think that a huge protest is in order....and since gas is allot cheaper...

(in my minds eye)

it would be SO grand to have everyone that can........
drive their boats around behind their vehicles with well made protest signs
in them made of white painted 4 x 8 plywood like a funeral procession ...

:uhuh:
that would bring NATIONAL attention to this right of way & access dilemma
:point: right on CNN :btu:

afterwards, we can have a tail gate party & BBQ :rolleyes:

imagine those old charters blown up that huge

afterhours
11-16-2008, 09:29 AM
malfeasant- now that's a $22 word. will have to use it, just hope they knoe what it means...Misconduct or wrongdoing, especially by a public official. good one.

JohnR
11-16-2008, 09:49 AM
This means a lot for access, now expanded to two places.

JohnR
11-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Please, if you can go to this meeting this is vital we show our support for keeping access open or this will have major negative impacts on access everywhere in Rhode Island. No nighttime access for Shorecasting in one location and no nighttime boat ramp access for boaters. See this thread: http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=53026

Wednesday November 19 at the Town Library auditorium (upstairs) at 7:30 pm

Those that are going (add your name onto this thread please) :

JohnR

(if you don't mind saying if you are a Barrington Resident too - that is huge)

Young Salt
11-16-2008, 11:00 AM
I'll be there.

Remember you dont HAVE to be a town or state resident to have a say at this meeting.

Redsoxticket
11-16-2008, 12:18 PM
I'll be there.
The outcome of this meeting will be the deciding factor and needs your precense.
Power in numbers.
Posted via Mobile Device

JohnR
11-16-2008, 02:02 PM
More Info: The Part on the Boat Ramp May or May Not be an issue as it is a little ambiguous and will be clarified, I'd think, at the meeting...

Details:

PLEASE HELP SAVE PUBLIC ACCESS AT THE DAUNIS RIGHT OF WAY

PUBLIC HEARING/VOTE
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 19, 2008 @ 7:30 P.M.
BARRINGTON LIBRARY AUDITORIUM, 281 COUNTY ROAD
ORDINANCE NO. 2008-13
AN ORDINANCE TO AMEND CHAPTER 179
OF THE ORDINANCES OF THE TOWN OF BARRINGTON

The Rhode Island Saltwater Angler’s Association (RISAA) has been monitoring the Daunis Right of Way (ROW) in Barrington for several years now. Members have put in a lot of time and effort keeping an eye of the ROW, picking up trash, and attending public meetings that would have any effect on the usage of the ROW

Attempts have been made to restrict nighttime parking at the Daunis Right of Way, which is located at the end of Nayatt road. The two parking spots on the right of way is the only way to access the shore for miles in either direction. Restricting nighttime parking would both exclude the public from enjoying sunrise and sunset during parts of the year and would eliminate the prime hours for fishing. Regardless of the outcome, this decision could set precedent throughout the state.

There has been more than one court battle over public access at this Right of Way, and each time the courts decided in favor of public access. Judge Procaccini ruled in Rhode Island Superior Court, “The Parcel is a right-of-way that is intended to accommodate the public at-large and not merely abutters for the property or those in walking distance. In such a case, automobile access is necessary and reasonable.”

I am asking all concerned anglers and members of the public, especially residents of the Town of Barrington, to show up to oppose any parking restrictions for the Daunis ROW. If you can’t attend the meeting for any reason, please write the town council stating your position. If you are married I encourage you to have your spouse attend or write a letter as well. Keep in mind that all CRMC designated public access locations are supposed to be open and accessible to the public 24/7. -- David B...

afterhours
11-16-2008, 02:08 PM
i'll be there, i'm sure pogey steve and mike will too.

Crafty Angler
11-17-2008, 09:04 AM
John - I'd be there if I could, Cap, but i'm already committed to a dinner celebrating the victory of a City Councilor my wife and I supported and worked to help re-elect - coincidentally, she's also the one responsible for maintaining and fighting for ROW's here in Newport.

Anyway, hope you get a good turn-out in support.

I told Mrs. Crafty just the other day I'm thinking of re-joining RISAA and volunteering for the Access Committee - she's already on the Board of Directors for Friends of the Waterfront here in Newport - and she's also the person who did the graphics for their waterfront access signs that are being posted all over Newport to denote ROW's - that's my girl!

Ya know, these recent attempts to deny access are starting to twist Uncle Crafty's man-panties in a knot :af:

Like crime and rust, apparently this c-r-a-p never sleeps :hs:

DZ
11-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Crafty,
I sent this ROW meeting info to Senator Paiva-Weed. We need the state to pressure CRMC to attend this meeting and stand up for the citizens of RI. They should tell the town it can't restrict parking and take them to court if they do. Another call to her from you or Kate Leonard would help. Maybe she'll send one of her staffers to the meeting.

DZ

SeaWolf
11-17-2008, 10:57 AM
daunis/barrington is is difficult situation w/ a lot of history. there's too much to summarize here. no matter the decision, each RI ST ROW needs to be treated differently and can't be balled up into one ruling that all others will fall in line with. everyeone agrees with the RI Charter on shoreline access and that is always one of the first things out of someone's mouth on these types of issues.

ultimately, daunis is a state ROW, but the parking in question is on town land. that is the issue. that state does not have input there. so, the decision to be made this week will be on the town and its residents. if you are a member of the town, you NEED to show up. RISAA will be there and yes Bob is still chair of the Access Committee, as am i. dave (young salt) is more familiar with this ROW than i am as far as the details. i would be very surprised if you see someone from CRMC show up.

it's easy to post on a public forum your opinion of the who, what, where, why, etc., but it holds absolutely no weight here. you NEED to be on public record in a town meeting and voice your opinion there. i'm always amazed by the amount of press a ROW will get on a forum, but the lack of support when it is before a town meeting. if you are part of a local fishing club, such as one near this ROW, it should have been in your club's business recently. if it was not, why don't you take the initiative? we ALL need to network on all issues such as these so nothing sneaks thru the cracks. internet forums are nice, but club/organizational representation holds more weight.

back to daunis. you have a very close decision right now. this may come down to a single vote carrying the decision either way. that vote, and maybe others, may come down to how many show up and speak on behalf of either side of this decision. whether it's "right or wrong" may not matter as the representation may be the single carrying vote. we can only hope more people show up (fisherman, surfers, residents, etc.) in favor of keeping the parking.

DZ
11-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Good points Seawolf. One thing - I was told that the parking spots in this case are in fact established ON the right of way - not on the town street. This could be incorrect. Either way, CRMC owes it citizens representation.

DZ

Crafty Angler
11-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Crafty,
I sent this ROW meeting info to Senator Paiva-Weed. We need the state to pressure CRMC to attend this meeting and stand up for the citizens of RI. They should tell the town it can't restrict parking and take them to court if they do. Another call to her from you or Kate Leonard would help. Maybe she'll send one of her staffers to the meeting.

DZ

D - The dinner we're going to is for Kate and Theresa will undoubtedly be there - I'll bend a couple of ears if I can while Im there and see what happens :)

I'll get in touch with Kate this afternoon and see if she can get thru to Theresa to get somebody to show for the meeting - I'll let ya know what transpires.

BTW, is the NCSWFC 1st meeting coming up soon :huh:

I was gonna email ya to see when at some point today -

SeaWolf
11-17-2008, 03:36 PM
dennis, as far as i know, the allocated parking is on the town property. it's all in how the area was originally deeded. i'll tell you more on wednesday.

Nebe
11-17-2008, 03:48 PM
A member of another fishing board documented with photos something pretty interesting. The lady who is fighting to close the ROW has been parking her car in one of the spots to impede others from parking there :hs:

afterhours
11-17-2008, 04:22 PM
i believe the parking is on the row property.

SeaWolf
11-18-2008, 09:35 AM
i believe the parking is on the row property.

it's not state property.

The lady who is fighting to close the ROW has been parking her car in one of the spots to impede others from parking there.

that's been going on for a while now.

Redsoxticket
11-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Bump

JohnR
11-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Be there, nothing can be more important than that, unless you are a Barrington Resident and you are there

JohnR
11-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Be there :btu:

JohnR
11-19-2008, 07:51 AM
Reminder for tonight...

afterhours
11-19-2008, 09:48 PM
barrington town council votes AGAINST parking ban at danus row 4-0 with one abstention. :jump::jump:

JohnR
11-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Success, in a vote of for against the ordinance and one abstaining, the Daunis Right of Way parking will remain open.

The meeting tonight was very encouraging and was successful based on the hard work of people to get Barrington residents, many anglers and some non anglers, to voice their concerns on the loss of public access to the right of way.

Good work by all :btu: and big kudos to David for keeping the pot stirred on this and the word out!

A sincere thank you to all that wrote, emailed, and especially showed up.

Crafty Angler
11-20-2008, 05:09 AM
Job well done! :kewl: :kewl: :kewl:

Nebe
11-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Parking ban was voted down 4-0.. :smokin:

BasicPatrick
11-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Parking ban was voted down 4-0.. :smokin:

Good job and thanks to all that worked on this issue.....

Together We Can:cens:

JohnR
11-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Threads merged...

Yes, success, because people got it done :jump:

DZ
11-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Best surf news I've heard in a long time. Well done to all involved. Now we should keep quiet about that location unless it's in the news again.

DZ