View Full Version : Winterizing Question

MarshCappa
11-10-2008, 09:40 AM
2000 15hp 4 stroke Yamaha

I'm trying to save some dough and figure I should be able to do this myself. What do I need to do? Thanks in advance.

thefishingfreak
11-10-2008, 04:33 PM
I would just change the lower unit oil. Spray it down with WD40, put it in my basement and call it done.
Maybe add some stabilizer to the boat tank.

macojoe
11-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Yep them small motors just come inside for the winter!! Go down and pull the rope once a month to keep things nice.

MarshCappa
11-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks guys. I've never taken it off the transom in the 2 years I've owned her. It's not light by any means. What do I spray down with the WD40? I had the lower unit oil change a few months ago.

thefishingfreak
11-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Open the motor cover and spray Everything.. The linkages the wires, The block. Basicly everything.
Don't SOAK the bajeezus out of it. Just mist coat the entire thiing.
Store it in the down position if your going to leave it outside. The water drains out of it.

MTC
11-11-2008, 03:54 AM
The most important thing on the HPDI motors which the 4 strokes are is to get treated gas into the VST tank. Remove the big screw on the tank and drain the gas. Put gas with an over mixture of Startron and Stabil in your external water separator... you do have one don't you!

You should also be putting a new filter on at this time.

Add Stabil and Startron to your fuel tank It would be good if you did this before your last run so it mixes in...

Run the engine for 5-10 minutes but shut off if your temp alarm buzzes...

Change your engine oil and filter... we use the Quicksilver 4 stroke OB oil syn-blend...

Change your lowerunit oil... we use the quicksilver high performance lube

Spray engine with 656 corrosive spray... WD40 will not displace water...

Leave your engine all the way down to drain than no more than about 5-10 degrees for the winter...

Remove your battery...

I could do this total service for you at my new shop in cohasset foe $175 including all oil and filters teaching you at the same time...

MTC
11-11-2008, 04:01 AM
oops its only 15 hp... I misread your post thinking it was a 150!

We hook a tank with our winter love potion (Startron, Staybill, Oil, Gas) in it and change the oil and filter

pull the plugs and fog the cylinders... turn it over and put the plugs back

Lower unit and spray with 656

$75 for that engine...

Stop by my boathouse on 166 King street (Cohasset) this weekend and I'm sure there is an engine that needs it that I could show you on...

Rip Runner
11-11-2008, 03:17 PM

We hook a tank with our winter love potion (Startron, Staybill, Oil, Gas) in it and change the oil and filter

$75 for that engine...

Stop by my boathouse on 166 King street (Cohasset) this weekend and I'm sure there is an engine that needs it that I could show you on...

You really can't get a better deal than that!

MarshCappa
11-11-2008, 08:50 PM

$75 for that engine...

That is mighty generous of you and I would love to do this but I need to visit my father in law on the Cape Sat. Probably the last time I'll see him alive. It's going to be a tough weekend for our family.

MTC
11-11-2008, 08:59 PM
sorry to hear about your Farther-in-Law... let me know if I can help...

tomtheboatguy.com