View Full Version : Any plans for the off season?

Rob Rockcrawler
11-12-2008, 05:40 PM
I know for some the season hasn't ended quite yet. It ended for me last weekend. I might make a cast or 200 on thanksgiving but likely it is over.
For the off season:
Try not to buy fishing stuff.
Home improvement
Tying all sorts of teasers and maybe try fly tying, dont fly fish though...
Try rod building again.
Make a spreadsheet of my log of the season.

Slingah
11-12-2008, 05:49 PM
take a break with hobbies........ and work hard @ work.... then maybe do some skiing after the holidays.....

thefishingfreak
11-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Gettin all the gear ready for next season.

Raider Ronnie
11-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Hopefully a tower and auto pilot for the boat !

Rocco34520
11-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Im looking foward to some winter reading and watching some new videos. But also to getting a new custom rod built for the Canal!

Crafty Angler
11-12-2008, 07:34 PM
:sleeps::sleeps::sleeps:

tattoobob
11-12-2008, 07:46 PM
I plan on working, Ice fishing, go thru all my plugs and sell alot of them, cleaning gear and maybe remodel a bathroom or two in my house.

The Dad Fisherman
11-12-2008, 08:20 PM
just got all the ice fishing gear out and got it ready for the upcoming season, Turn some wood, doing a few campouts, and I want to replace the carpet throughout the house with laminate flooring.

EricW
11-12-2008, 08:42 PM
My off season started a little early this year. I usually fish until mid nov or so. Put most of my gear away so we could head down to Florida. Just got back this evening from a week and a half down there. Felt great when I stepped out into the 30 degree air tonight. :) When I got on the the plane it was about 85 and sunny.
Looking forward to working on my shop this winter and making some plugs.

ilovetwofish
11-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Fishing the thames all winter no breaks for me.

Nebe
11-12-2008, 08:51 PM
survival. :smash:

niko
11-12-2008, 08:51 PM
learn to build a rod, tweak my tuna rigging, learn a little about ice fishing, put more energy into my business, put together the new babys' room, get a little sleep - it's been a long season

tynan19
11-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Gas is down so that will certainly help with the travel and snowmobiling in general. Tie a lot of flys. Maybe build some plugs.

fumifish
11-12-2008, 09:41 PM
clean/fix up the basement/garage
get the baby room ready ....again!
give wifey plenty of quality time and earn points toward plenty of spring fishing time!

l.i.fish.in.vt
11-12-2008, 09:50 PM
i really don't have an off season ,as soon as the fishing poles get put away i take out my ski poles and skiis. only a couple of weeks between each season to get things done around the house.it is starting to get white in the higher elevations and the snow guns are blasting as i type.

Clammer
11-12-2008, 09:58 PM
AS OF THIS EVENING MY {SEASON} OFFICALLY STARTED :eyes:

&&&&&&&&& It S/B A good one /unless the lack of small bait this other season /has a negative effect on THIS saeson ..........................Already ..tonight / there was a visiable lack of bait :huh:

capecodkid
11-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Florida/Florida keys in 9 days.:tooth: After that holdover trips in Boston Harbor, Thames River, and some other spots. Maybe some winter trout in the Swift. Tie flies and load up on gear for next season.

numbskull
11-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Waste time in the basement

Flaptail
11-13-2008, 10:13 AM
I was out last night, lonely but productive and some shad to boot. Amazing how your hands are suddenly not cold anymore while your catching.

Picked up a brand spanking new 5-1/2 St. Croix Premier ultralight and a brand new Symetre 1500 to go on it, in preperation for late fall/winter/spring trout fishing, this week. (Yes George, it made me feel good) so that Numbskull and Fifa, ESL, Stifftip, Sauerkraut, Art and myself can haunt the trout ponds til the bass come back .

Nights it will be in the basement, making plugs for XMas presents and after the Holidays whipping up something for PlugFest 09'. Hope to make it 4 years in a row with an award.

reelecstasy
11-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Wrap up a few of the blanks I have...thin out my collection of gear to just what i use and need.....

bassballer
11-13-2008, 10:23 AM
My other "season" officially starts in another 3 weeks or so. Ive already got the snowboard out and about to be waxed up for another season of riding. Its nice when fishing just rolls right into snowboarding. No off time. I need to keep busy.

fishbones
11-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Fishing-wise, I'll be finishing some plugs that I started last spring. Then going through my gear and seeing what needs replacement. Unbelievably, I didn't lose a single plug the whole 2008 season! I'll hit a few of the shows and probably buy a buch of stuff that I won't have time to use. I'll also be looking to pick up a kayak for both fishing and family.

Most of the rest of my time will be spent doing work around the house and teaching my son to skate. I can't wait to get him out on the ice. I may even make a small rink in my yard this winter for him.

Rappin Mikey
11-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Ice fishing or hitting Norwich just about every weekend and finishing up this house I've been working on the last two years.

CaptMike
11-13-2008, 11:31 AM
what's an off season?

I'm trout fishing this weekend and all throughout the winter, hopefully getting down to south florida at some point

FishermanTim
11-13-2008, 11:52 AM
I agree with CaptMike: What off-season?

I will fish ALL year round when possible.
I just received a "reminder: in the mail yesterday for "The Great Rotary Fishing Derby" in NH on February 7 & 8, 2009.
I did it last year, and although I wasn't out with the main crowd in Meredith and Center Harbor, I caught my share of fish up in Moultonborough.
I keep kicking myself for not weighing the white perch I caught, because I didn't think it was big enough, until I saw the final results and realized that it could have wonsome $$.

One project I may tackle this year may be to build a bobhouse for the lake (Winnipesaukee).
Other than that, it will be hardwater fishing until it starts to thaw in March, and then it's back to trout and spring stripers.

EarnedStripes44
11-13-2008, 12:47 PM
switching over to conventional

keeperreaper
11-14-2008, 05:00 AM
Relaxing. Off to Aruba for some R & R and then to Carolina to fish the giants with my brother for a few weeks. After that enjoy the colder weather, ice fishing and hanging out with the kids.

Uncle Matt
11-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Working hard, taking grant writing classes and starting a second masters degree. But then again I may just say screw it and go to California with Matt and fish giants!

Jenn
11-15-2008, 08:31 AM
hmmm...I think striper season WAS my off season this year....anyhoo I am hoping to please the snow gods for a good return again this year. :uhuh:

Raven
11-15-2008, 08:33 AM
gutting

basswipe
11-15-2008, 08:35 AM
:sleeps::sleeps::sleeps:

I'm on board with that.

Its been a hell of a year outside of fishing.

Raven
11-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Working hard, taking grant writing classes and starting a second masters degree. But then again I may just say screw it and go to California with Matt and fish giants!

that would be a Mattly crew :rotf2:

quote:
Five-thousand people were ordered out of their homes in Sylmar, California, early today as near-hurricane winds quickly spread a wildfire along on the northern boundary of Los Angeles. "This fire will move faster than you can walk or run," a fire official warned.

better Bring roller blades :nopain:

Bigcat
11-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Hunt ducks :)

Clogston29
11-15-2008, 09:38 AM
get in better shape. drop about and bulk up a bit afterwards.

pay off, or atleast down, my credit cards

hyefisherman2
11-15-2008, 11:22 AM
get A's in school and start looking around at some colleges. :D

getting my license, finally!

loading up on stuff for next season...

Bazza
11-15-2008, 11:35 AM
I am looking forward to some skiing with my kids. No big big fishing purchases for me this winter.

beaver
11-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Praying for ice this year to do a lil fishing and a lil pond hockey. Will make a few more trout and small mouth trips if I can. Looking to build some plugs and re-wrap an old pole for the ditch. Love the snow but I'm hoping it is all gone by the start of lacrosse season in Feb. Oh yeah and looking for one of those things you guys call jobs. Its about that time. :(

BassDawg
11-17-2008, 07:08 PM
purchase and read:
DJ's book from last year
Zeno's book from this year
Coleman's vintage stuff ~if i can find them.

purchase and view:
Mike Laptew's latest production
just view SGWild,,,,,,over and over and over again.

attend RISAA, MSBA, and PI Surfcaster's Seminar.

rig a sheetload of Riggies
rig sum eelskin plugs, and
maybe go custom Lami for next year??

fine tune the basslawgs with maps,
lose sleep over the LOST monstahs,
and give me body, me mojo, and the species a break!!

try to stay gamefully employed up on the IRON,
while NOT frrrr eeeee zazaza zing my arse off!
:bl: :bl: :bl:

Pete F.
11-17-2008, 11:54 PM
purchase and read:

Coleman's vintage stuff ~if i can find them.

go to surfcasting-rhode island
Joe has bass from the beach and zenos for a deal, or did