View Full Version : Block I weekend report

sand_man
10-30-2000, 10:34 AM
Whew! It was cold, dark and a steady NW 25+. A good amount of guys fishin but I did not see a lot of catchin. (keepers that is) I fished myself out this weekeded. I got 6 sat night and 5 sunday night (I just got back). All the the fish were were in the 10-15 lb except 1 which was smaller.

What few keepers I did see I wouldn't have kept. IMO there are few big fish there. Not the kind of big fish I am use to seeing out there is time of year. I spoke to A LOT of fisherman (which is unlike me I am normally a quite loner kind of surfcaster) but I had to find out if anyone was hammering them. For all the plugs and eels that were dragged thru the surf this weekend it was a discrace what came out.
I am stopping my weekly trips to the Island, until I hear big fish are there. The water was cold, the conditions were tough but good for bass and I kept it honest and fished the hell out of that rock. It was a slow pick for everyone NO ONE really connected with the fish big time.

I spoke to a local guy I know who fishes there regularly and he got 3 fish on saturday night one went 24lbs. (the other 2 were shorts, this is sad for BI, IMO) He also said Sept was far better then Oct (for big fish out there) He said at least he got a few 30's and 40's in sept, In October he is scrapin and clawin just to get a keeper. He thinks it may just be over for the year excpept for a stray cow here or there, and these schoolies.

#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& may be right. This year looks done in RI. All I kept thinking was that they are killing them "over there" with each flash of Montalk light. I will still keep my ear to the ground if something breaks out there I will make another trip but I plan on cleaning up the truck (a bad sign). I will have to shovel out the sand to see the carpet again.

BTW, some of the peanut bunker got blown over to the island. I saw some around Charlestown and Dories. Overall there is not much bait around the Island, there is some but it is not thick by any means,

sandman

JohnR
10-30-2000, 10:58 AM
Welcome aboard SandMan!!!

That is sad about the Block!! That place is probably the best overall for Big-a##ed, two-handed stripers! I was hoping to hear better news from you but between what you've said and what #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& found from several reliable sources, its looking pretty thin. Not good news... At least you got some fish.

How was the surf while you were out???

sand_man
10-30-2000, 11:48 AM
On the south side under the bluffs it was nice, calm seas at Black Rock, turn the corner to SW point and it was a cold 30deg in your face howl. Sandy point was the same. the west side was fishable but very sloppy and the east side was a little better but became fishable south of ballards., I was hoping it would go NE so I could work the west side better, but it was NW the whole weekend. From the sh#t-shoot thru Old harbor point and around to the light was pretty good. Water was pretty clean considering the wind and not much weed. Last night I saw quite a bit of the phosphorescent jelly fish in the water near Old Harbor point.

Also, The water must be getting colder I saw a 1.5lb lobster actually walk out of the water onto the beach! At least I caught something decent to eat!

The best news is I was able to get the 8am ferry on standby out of there this am.