View Full Version : Need good source for wood pellets.

Mr. Sandman
11-18-2008, 01:51 PM
got the stove, need to make a mainland trip to get some pellets...&7.95/bag here...more expensive than oil.

ProfessorM
11-18-2008, 02:00 PM
good luck. I paid 6 something in Middleboro because I was too lazy and busy during the summer to find a better price. I got a ton. He has had plenty so far. I heard Walmart has had some too. Just call ahead to make sure as some dealers won't sell them to you if you are not a customer that bought a stove off them. To be honest with you if I didn't already have a stove , mines a 1993 Harmon, I don't think I would bother at this point with the stoves and pellets being so much. Take a long time to make you $$$ back but could be worth in in that long run if you are going to stay put and hopefully the $$$ will come down once they get more manufactures making pellets. Plenty of stove makers but not enough pellet makers thus the high,not much competition prices. I heard there is a year or so wait on Harmon stoves now. I am sure some of the other burners will give you some options. Good luck

UserRemoved1
11-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Jim if your willing to come up to the shop I will get a few tons for you and load on your pickup. I'm thinking about getting 2 more tons myself. Prob $6-7 a bag though.

Mr. Sandman
11-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Scott, you should be heating your home with plug-scraps not pellets.

I bought this stove early last spring after that horrific last heating season and finally got it in October. It is nice but pellets sure went up in price after a bought the stove... I bet it is no cheaper that oil heat now. I notice they are not pushing the savings any longer...just that it is "green". I told her..."the only person making any green is the guy selling these pellets.

Fishpart
11-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Pellets go with the lumber industry. Unfortunately with the decline of the furniture industry, the raw material for pellets is disappearing especially in New England.

UserRemoved1
11-19-2008, 11:13 AM
HOME DEPOT $299 ton, $399 for 1.4 Ton pallet.

That's $5.98 and $5.70 per bag. I don't think you'll find any cheaper than that right now. I do not know the quality of them however and if they are hard or soft wood...buyer beware.

Swimmer
11-19-2008, 12:31 PM
You should get a group together now for next year. Fill a trailer or large straight body with orders now for next year. You could get yours for free.

UserRemoved1
11-19-2008, 12:37 PM
I wanted to do that this past May. I have room here to store it until people pick it up and have the forklift to move it around... I'd take 6 tons in the spring...there's 1/4 truckload right there.

ProfessorM
11-19-2008, 02:46 PM
I wanted to say something about quality of pellets. I mentioned about wal-mart and home depot selling pellets. They are cheaper because they are inferior most likely. They are soft wood pellets more than likely. Soft wood is good but it has to be northern grown soft woods not southern soft woods which most of these big box stores sell. There is a big difference between British Columbian soft wood pellets and southern soft wood pellets. Much faster burning and much more ash. Not worth the savings of say 50 bucks for a ton to buy the inferior product. I just got back from the Harmon dealer in Mansfield and he was selling soft wood pellets from BC Canada. Eagle Valley I think,A 70 bag pallet, as that is how they come, is like $460 I think he said. Roughly $6 something a bag and high quality product. Good luck in your search.

Slingah
11-19-2008, 03:27 PM
You should get a group together now for next year. Fill a trailer or large straight body with orders now for next year. You could get yours for free.

yup...

gone fishin
11-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Bought three tons at 3 buks a ton + 33 buks a skid for delivery. Pellet is premium and comes from Canada - delivered from NH. Goffstown I think. www.pelletsales.com. Drop in your zip and see if they will deliver to your area.

They burn well and are low ash.

Scott - I havent turned the oil on for four days and the house is WARM as toast.

ProfessorM
11-20-2008, 09:36 AM
I have looked at their website before Don. Looks like a good deal.

UserRemoved1
11-20-2008, 09:40 AM
$300 a ton delivered for a truckload...I think we should do a group buy if the quality is good.

Mr. Sandman
11-20-2008, 09:49 AM
$300 a ton delivered for a truckload...I think we should do a group buy if the quality is good.

If we got a bulk buy I would be interested in a ton. (that is all I can carryin in a single load...and I am pushin it as it is)

ProfessorM
11-20-2008, 10:03 AM
A ton is too much for my old truck. I usually do a half ton, 2 trips, but the dealer is just 5 min. away. By the time I'd figure gas for 2 trips going up your way I would be better off getting them down the street from me, but if they come down cheaper I may be interested.

UserRemoved1
11-24-2008, 05:27 AM
Jim these guys seem to have a decent price, didnt' check to see what MV delivery would be though.

http://www.orderpellets.com/wood_pellets.php