View Full Version : On The Water Article

Got Stripers
11-18-2008, 09:14 PM
I really enjoyed the article in the November issue by Anuszewski and when I read about the school of 40lbers he talks about hitting on the cape in 81; I have to wonder if that was the same school I hit that year one late September day at Pegoty Beach in Scituate. How many have been lucky enough to get into a massive school of 40lb+ fish, with bigger fish mixed in, to the point your muscles ache after being at it for only a couple hours? That day for me would be the most memorable day I've ever fished, one trophy fish on each cast and I'll never forget the monster I fought to skinny water, only to watch her come unbuttoned at my feet. Having landed a 52 and 55 lber, I'd estimate he to be 60+, probably my best and only shot at joining the 60 club; but I'll never forget that day. I can still picture the entire cove covered with white water, large boils and fins everywhere you looked, poggies airborn in a vain attempt to escape the preditors below, never seen it before or since. I count myself lucky to have experience a blitz of a lifetime and that article brought back some great memories of that day.

BasicPatrick
11-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Hi Bob

FishNH
11-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Very good article. I happen to like the article about pollock fishing only because I am the guy holding up the 20 something lber

Raven
11-19-2008, 06:19 AM
Hi BoB- hows that Cozy cabin...?

i can picture that Blitz the way you described it. :cheers:

steve
11-19-2008, 07:29 AM
That article was very accurate. However, it failed to mention that BI was great EVERY fall from 80 to 87. Yes , that's right, big fish nightly for 7 years from mid October to early December. I fished with a group of guys out there during that period every fall. The fishing was superletive! No day time blitzes, but the action was something else after dark. At times, big bass where all around the Island. We figured the average size fish caught one year was 33 pounds! I think the fishing was so good then because of the massive schools of large sand eels that invaded BI every fall. The sand eel s then were about the size of the standard needlefih plug we fish with today. I could go on and on about this special time in surf striper history and may write a story some day, but for now, I can only thank God thant I was fortunate enough to have experienced such great fishing!

Crafty Angler
11-19-2008, 08:46 AM
:agree:

Hey, Stevie - between your account and DZ's Snowstorm Blitz from that same period that would make a pair of incredible first hand accounts of legendary surf fishing for striped bass on the Island :uhuh:

Historic accounts like that are once-in-a-lifetime experiences - at some point ya gotta put that in ink, that is surf-casting history.

I know it's getting to be tough for any of us to admit that we're all becoming museum pieces :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

God knows I feel like one this morning :yawn:

I swear, I had no #$%**# idea I was gonna live this long...:hs:

Screw it - if I had it to do all over again, I'd do it all over again :zup:

steve
11-19-2008, 09:58 AM
CA, I plan to some day in a two part story or a chapter in a book? It does deserve alot of print though, somewhere, in something, or whatever because it was a wonderful time to be bass fishing from the surf. It was so usual because it lasted for weeks and years even, unlike most other notable blitzes. The only other long term bass blitze in my time was the 1977-78 , two seasons (july,august,two weeks of sept.) on the outer Cape. That was also unbelievable with alot of monsters landed from the surf. It was thought that those big bass were the ones we had on BI from 78 to 87. Talk to Frank Daignault about it. It was really special like BI.

Sea Dangles
11-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Outstanding article, I always wondered what DZ was doing out there every November. Old habits are hard to break.

NIB
11-19-2008, 09:06 PM
I wonder how Dennis feels about it.He has all this info in book form and someone has trumped him with a article.

Sea Dangles
11-20-2008, 08:07 AM
Dennis has been trying to put together a book deal for years. He had to assume that at some point one of the other fortunate anglers to be there would share their account of the carnage. I've had some great nights and some good weeks, I even witnessed the almighty NIB pull in a 40, but nothing like what I read about in this story. I got a great impression of the determination these fellows had, to be out there night after night, all around the porkchop fishing different tides. I saw what can happen out there 5 or 6 years ago when Dave caught a monster while fishing with Tattoobob.

Crafty Angler
11-20-2008, 08:58 AM
I wonder how Dennis feels about it.He has all this info in book form and someone has trumped him with a article.

I don't think it should bother him very much - from my perspective it's almost a case of the more the merrier - I haven't had a chance to read the article yet but I'll probably p/up a copy of OTW today.

When you get guys of the surf-casting caliber of DZ, Steve and others recounting that sort of stuff from their own first hand experience, it gives even old pharts like me the strength to go on with dreams of glory.

Of course, in my case, a large sack of rosary beads in my plug bag would be a big help too :rollem:

DZ
11-20-2008, 10:31 AM
I have not read the article and am not really bothered that someone wrote about the topic. My friend Al Pallini also wrote a great article about that period on Block for OTW a few years back. A short magazine article simply can’t do justice to what transpired on Block back in those days - if you want to read the real story you’ll just have to wait for the book ….and it will knock your socks off.
Maybe if there is enough interest I can resurrect the Snowstorm Blitz presentation I gave a few years back. I know the SWE is looking for presentations for their “Surf Fishing Nights” this winter. Maybe we can work something out.

DZ

tattoobob
11-20-2008, 05:20 PM
I saw what can happen out there 5 or 6 years ago when Dave caught a monster while fishing with Tattoobob.

Yup right place right tide, that was a night I will never forget

NIB
11-21-2008, 09:40 AM
I have not read the article and am not really bothered that someone wrote about the topic. My friend Al Pallini also wrote a great article about that period on Block for OTW a few years back. A short magazine article simply can’t do justice to what transpired on Block back in those days - if you want to read the real story you’ll just have to wait for the book ….and it will knock your socks off.
Maybe if there is enough interest I can resurrect the Snowstorm Blitz presentation I gave a few years back. I know the SWE is looking for presentations for their “Surf Fishing Nights” this winter. Maybe we can work something out.

DZ
Dennis,
I'm glad it did not bother you,The article was a good one..As i read it you came to mind..thinking a greater story is out there.
I have not been one of the lucky ones to see the presentation. Maybe if they do decide to do it agian it will coincide with some other event up there so I can justify the long trip.
So many good stories from when the fish where large.Seems kinda unfair to all those who work so hard for em today.
I have been in large fish blitzes ones that folks only dream of.
No giants for some reason threy are not yet as prevelant.Plenty of 30+ lb fish.Hopefully time will change that if we don't kill em all.

Dangler,Dave's fish was taken in 06'.Around the first week of July.Just prior to my trip there.I was not as lucky..:o

Clogston29
11-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Maybe if there is enough interest I can resurrect the Snowstorm Blitz presentation I gave a few years back.

I would certainly be interested.

bassballer
11-21-2008, 12:52 PM
I would certainly be interested.

As would I. DZ pumped that out.

The Dad Fisherman
11-21-2008, 01:13 PM
make that 3......I'd love to see it

DZ
11-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Just read the article.Brings back some nice memories. The author did a nice job - historically accurate - right down to how hard needlefish were to find. Good info on how the redfins were the other great plug of the time. I didn't know the author personally but he and I have a mutual friend from NY who was also there. Article showed how good it could be out there - not always that hot as you often struggled when things were slow but if you found them it could be memorable. The fishing slowed toward the late 80s but by then I was hooked by island fever. Now I love the island just as much as the surf casting.

DZ

saltwateredge
11-22-2008, 05:57 PM

This would be excellent. I've always wanted to hear the presentation.

-chris

Zeno
11-22-2008, 06:45 PM
I too truly enjoyed reading it. Some day ,I would like to hear the account from the main figure in that group who attained almost legendary status before suddenly departing our shores.
I'd also love to see DZ's book in print. I'd be the first guy in line to buy it.
Dennis ,stop teasing us and get it printed :-)