View Full Version : Nautical charts???

MountainBreeze
12-06-2002, 12:36 PM
Do you folks feel it is useful to look at nautical charts when looking for spots to fish from shore?

Ok... Stop laughing! Geez! ;)

Seriously, are they detailed enough to get an idea of the coast's bottom structure to assit in locating possible feeding spots? (Rocks, rivers, inlets, ...)

As ususal... I have NO CLUE, which is why I'm askin'. :confused:

Thanks,
Rob

JohnR
12-06-2002, 12:51 PM
Shhhhh!

fishsmith
12-06-2002, 12:55 PM
Mtnbrz1,
They're very detailed. The larger the scale the more the detail.
It'd be a great christmas present too, find out the # of the chart for your area and have your santa put one under the tree, it'll be a gift that keeps on giving.

Saltheart
12-06-2002, 01:41 PM
I have both nautical charts and aerial Photographs of every inch of the coast I've ever sailed or fished! So ...yes , I think its a good idea. :)

MountainBreeze
12-06-2002, 01:44 PM
Thanks folks!

In your opinion, who makes the best detailed charts? (Since I only fish the surf, I'd like detail of the shore line. Montauk to Chatham.)

Thanks again,
Rob

BTW:

Saltheart,

Did you take those aerial shots or purchase them?

JohnR
12-06-2002, 01:57 PM
NOAA makes the best charts :D

Numerous places are good - online & on paper

Maptech.com is excellent and the detailed NOAA marine charts are fantastic - which you can get at many boat shops...

fishsmith
12-06-2002, 02:10 PM
MTNBRZ1,
The charts will not go into to much detail on the shoreline and surf, but with a handheld gps and your chart, you could keep a good log of where you had luck, where you see the waves breaking, and how the bars are shifting with different weather.
There might be some points where you see deep drop off near the beach and try that.

To figure out what all the symbols mean on a chart, get the book called chart No.1 (I think).

Saltheart
12-06-2002, 02:19 PM
i got them off the net. Some from a link here and some from the MSTerraserver. For Cape cod and the islands I have a big purchased picture.

Young Salt
12-06-2002, 02:31 PM
Don't forget about Capt. Seagull. :laughs:

hooked
12-06-2002, 04:00 PM
The charts on this site are easy to use.

http://www.topozone.com

$$ to download but free to print.

I have also checked out this one too. It looks like it has more options and gives GPS info as you mouse over the screen.

http://mapserver.maptech.com