View Full Version : Gramps was tougher than you...

Karl F
11-21-2008, 06:11 PM
In my email today...thought I'd pass along

Why your grandfather is tougher than you.

He could live off the land, and never need a grocery store.
Farm his own vegetables, raise his own beef, poultry, and pork.
He could repair his own machinery, buildings, plumbing, and electric.
He knew how to get 25-30 years out of a pickup truck.
If Grandma needed a new car he paid cash, or she made do with the old one.
If he could not afford something he did without, and did not cry about it.
If he was overwhelmed with bills, he worked harder, longer, and did without. The bills were paid, and on time, and he did not cry about that either.
He knew how to hunt, fish, and trap. He knew how to kill, skin, clean, and get the most out of what he took, and he never took more than he knew he was going to use.
He would pay to fix your teeth before his own, he didn’t waste money on clothes, or anything fancy. If he bought new clothes, the bought quality, and made it last, and, just like everything else he purchased, he knew how to take care of the things that he bought.
He never knew what a vacation was, and did not care about anything like that either. Time off was Sunday, or a Holiday, and spent with family.
He cared not about celebrities, of any kind, and thought little of those that did. He read the paper, made up his own mind on things, voted accordingly, and more than likely, volunteered in the community he lived in.
He took crap from no man. He trusted others, until they proved him wrong.
His word was his bond, and good with everyone that knew him.
He could kick your ass, even on one of his off days.

If he saw the world today, he would laugh, but also, be very sad.

It is time, we become more like our Grandfathers.

eastendlu
11-21-2008, 06:34 PM
So true Karl i am so glad i am a grandpa now.

BigFish
11-21-2008, 06:49 PM
I am gonna make a great Grand Dad!:uhuh:

justplugit
11-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Karl, that was the real America ,unknown unfortunately, by the present generation.

Men found ways to take care of their families in ways many men of today wouldn't have a clue.

We have become a high tech nation where we need each other's honesty and integrity
in doing the things for us that we can no longer do for ourselves in this materialistic society.

We need now, more then ever, -" a man's word being as good as his bond", and that's been left in the dust by the ME generation. :(

We have out smarted ourselves with our insatiable desire for material things rather than the meaningful things in life,- family, service and patriotism.

The old adage, - a man in quest of material things is compared to a man drinking saltwater ,until he drinks so much of it he goes mad, kinda rings true.

HESH2
11-22-2008, 08:02 AM
how true that was-thanks

Raven
11-22-2008, 08:38 AM
as far as movin like a grandfather....i'm there. ;)

the only way to be self sufficient in today's world is via solar energy ....imho