View Full Version : Reading Books while in Drydock

LT. DAN 2
12-07-2002, 09:50 PM
I can't find the thread but I seem to recall someone recomending "Reading the Water" as an excellent read. Was the Author Hughes? Post? or other?
Also.."Tides" author? HELP!!:)

Scotch Bonnet
12-07-2002, 10:01 PM
Robert Post

LT. DAN 2
12-09-2002, 06:24 AM
Thank-you....the book store had 2 books by the same title...saved me some bucks..:)

JohnR
12-09-2002, 08:06 AM
LT - you found the Post book and saved a few bucks? Did they have another? (I'm serious - they sometimes get over $150 for that)...

Mr. Sandman
12-09-2002, 09:26 AM
The current price for Posts Hard cover in good condition (used) is pushing 250 bucks now in a few places . I check last week at two places 240, 250.

I got mine for 150 + shipping about a month or so ago at second story books in MD. I saw it when in came in the mail nearly new and the wife will not let me read it until Xmas....(It has a signed note from Bob Post..."Hugs and Kisses...Love Bob".) Amazon has a few links to a couple used dealers for the book too. Do a search.

I had to settle for Jimmy Buffet's book this past weekend at the ski house. Good but not quite the same.

If you got it for less then 150 your doing pretty good! I went to about 4 book stores (have not had a copy in 5 years they said, and said a used copy would run several hunderd) and 2 lib's (copies were stolen)...broke down and bought the used copy. When I am done...I may post it on the classifieds here....

LT. DAN 2
12-09-2002, 05:50 PM
John..Sorry if I midled you with my last post.. I just meant I didn't
want to take a chance and buy a book with the same title and not the same content. I need to get back to that bookstore and see if either book was written by Post.
Based on Sandman's reply, I now have my doubts.
:(

Mr. Sandman
12-09-2002, 06:03 PM
You may want to try...Surfcasters Quest by Roy Rowan. reasonable cost and a good read (esp if you like BI)

there is another "reading the water"...
Reading the Water : Stories and Essays of Flyfishing and Life
by Mallory Burton and Holly Morris. I bet it is quite a bit different then Posts.

JohnR
12-09-2002, 08:22 PM
LT - if it is, silently let me know so I can get a copy before everyone else :D ... Seriously, if that's what you found, grab them all but the one I get
:smash:

MountainBreeze
12-10-2002, 07:52 AM
LT,

I'm not sure but... you may be looking at "Reading the Water: A Fly Fisher's Handbook for Finding Trout in All Types of Water" by Dave Hughes.

Sells for approx $17.00 at the local book stores. I have not read it so I cannot comment.

Cheers,
Rob

striperswiper
12-10-2002, 08:44 AM
I JUST RESERVED THE BOOK AT THE CRANSTON LIBRARY, THERE WERE TWO AVAILABLE, ONE IN COVENTRY AND ONE IN LINCOLN. NOW THERE IS ONLY ONE.... JUST IN CASE YOU DIDN'T WANT TO SPEND THE 150 BUCKS...I HOPE IT IS A GOOD READ..

LT. DAN 2
12-11-2002, 06:49 AM
The search to BUY ''Reading The Waters" ended yesterday when the bookstore informed me the authors of the 2 books with that title were Hughes and Burton.
Sandman: I did see them on Amazon.com for $149.95 and UP:(
21' Gradywhite I like your resource...since I'll have time this winter, I'll be visiting some southcoast libraries to peruse their catalogs. :D