View Full Version : whats the difference lead line /wire

mrmacey
12-08-2002, 07:31 PM
i want a rod and reel combo for bigger fish this spring i want to troll alot what kind of set up do you need for tuna how much line should the reel handle and at what lb! what can i expect to pay for a decent reel! i have my 113h for bottom fishing but that has 40lb on it and not much yardage i understand a tuna will take your line quick so you need more and heavier lb test some names of reels that can handle this with out breaking the bank would be appreciated

12-09-2002, 08:09 AM
I have a pair of Shimano TLD-25's filled with 50lb mono, and 80lb leaders. I think these would be ok for the Tuna, actually you might get away with your Penn 113's spooled with 40lb. I am no expert on Tuna's though, still looking for the first one in my boat.

JohnR
12-09-2002, 08:17 AM
Mr Macey - no expert here either but you would be best using mono or a braid on the tuna and leaving lead-core and steel to get to the bottom for bass...

mrmacey
12-11-2002, 11:26 AM
a penn mariner or 114h or hlw let me explain the situation wife says nothing over 250.00 for x mas so i want the best combo i can find was wondering if m and d could put something together for me i see on the internet reels for all different prices but i would rather cash and carry so far west marine has what im looking for any advise on the best deals even refurbished reels would be good probably get something better refurbished im looking for something that can handle big fish!!!!

JohnR
12-11-2002, 11:38 AM
Mr Macey - e-mail him miket@capecodtackle.com and mention that you are a member here - He may even have some quality used stuff too... As for his prices - he usually has the best prices on average...

mrmacey
12-11-2002, 11:40 AM
i was just looking at his website he has everything im looking for wonder if hes open during winter ill take a ride today and talk with him

JohnR
12-11-2002, 11:46 AM
Mr Macey - call first. He is hunting a lot this time of year and the shop may or may not be open so it really is best to call first: (508)-291-0820

mrmacey
12-15-2002, 05:08 AM
its used to slow you down while trolling was wondering if anyone used or seen one of these before and do you think it would be worth it

Slipknot
12-15-2002, 08:30 AM
That's the thing I was telling you about, also check to see if your idle can be lowered a bit.
If you are going to be doing trolling for bass, that's the thing you need for your boat.

Canalratt1
12-15-2002, 12:34 PM
You can do other things like drag a 5 gallon bucket, trolling for bass with lures like tubes requires a very slow troll around 1.8 to 2 mph you can go faster trolling bunker spoons, jigs or umbrella rigs but only up to maybe 3 mph. The fish will tell you how fast but it takes some practice. I like leadcore better than wire but if the fish are deeper than 40 ft you will need wire. A good fishfinder will tell what depth the fish are at alot of times they are not right on the bottom. We use 113 penns and you can get 100 yards of leadcore plus backing on it. It is also easier to fish with than wire.

mrmacey
12-15-2002, 02:12 PM
when we talk of backing that is quality mono attached to the lead line so it would be like this mono lead line swivel leader snap hook i want to set up my 113h with mono, lead and then have two 114hls set up with quality braid will use weights with them on a braid line the set up would go like this? line, weight with swivels, leader then snap hook is this right then ill have 3 casting rods for lure casting into the rocks that should do it the boat i have to do something about slowing it down will try idle then try sea anchor or bucket see what happens I have been reading online about trolling cant find articles for striper trolling though!!! one more question i can bottom fish or jig with braid line right!!! i want to use 50lb braid with 10, 15 ft 30 clear mono to bottom fish with does this sound right!!!!

Canalratt1
12-15-2002, 03:17 PM
For backing I like a braid but you do not need a superbraid just the regular dacron. Then goes your leadcore/wire then usually about ten to twenty feet of flourocarbon or quality mono leader matierial. There are a few other tricks too such as rod holders but trolling speed seems to be the key. You have to go fairly slow and have a way to track speed and hit your productive spots a good GPS/chartplotter will make alot of differance plus time on the water.

mrmacey
12-16-2002, 04:39 PM
im gonna have m and d after the holidays spool all 3 of my reels that way i know it is correct for each reel thanks for advise i found this set up to troll with if i keep searching ill learn

"Lou"
12-16-2002, 05:22 PM
About throwing a bucket off the back to slow you down, can you tie the rope to the handle or do you need to drill a couple holes in the sides at the top and attach rope to those? It seems to me like those metal handles would just rip out?

"lou"

mrmacey
12-16-2002, 05:39 PM
my boat has a water ski hook in the middle that is what i would use on mine

Scotch Bonnet
12-16-2002, 06:08 PM
You can use a zig-zag pattern to slow down.^^^^^Also that diagram shows you'll have 36' of line in the water when you reel up to the sinker(???). I would go with something a little simpler.

Megabyte
12-16-2002, 07:43 PM
mrmacey,

I tried that "Chesapeake rig" this summer. the rig ig 35+ feet frtom the rod tip when reel all the way in. My boat is only 21'. What a mess I had, way too long.

After I reeled it in as far as I could I started hand lining the 35+ in and said too my self "What happens if I get hit right now"?

35' of twisted tangled mono with hooks :-)

I cut it down a lot.

mrmacey
12-16-2002, 08:58 PM
for bringing this to my attention 36 ft by hand i didnt even notice that i seen all lengths but it didnt register how you get that in hmmmm!! looked good though over the summer i was trolling tube worm and big swimmers caught alot of blues which tells me im not deep enough so thats the problem at hand between getting leadcore and slowing boat down it should do it i was useing 50lb mono with tube putting it out 200yds with no weight and thought i was doing it right never caught any that way!! over the summer i caught 1 keeper and that was by accident saw birds and threw a lure in there and low and behold my very first striper and a keeper at that this year i want everything right and in balance with each other the right rod for the reel,line that goes with reel,proper weight,length,depth and most important THE RIGHT SPOTS WITH STRUCTURE!!! never knew about things like this thanks to everyone here and reading im learning and hopefully it will produce more this summer coming up thank you for all your help

Slipknot
12-16-2002, 09:22 PM
mrmacey, I'll get out with ya in April sometime and show ya what I know, it might be a help, who knows. ;) Remember in Spring ya want shallow water, it warms quicker.

mrmacey
12-17-2002, 05:57 AM
your invited anytime,but didnt you say you would be my daycare when the new baby comes so i can go out fishing!!!! lol !! oh to have those hot summer days again out there! this winter thing is very boring i guess i could take the dog down to the feild and practice casting a bone and reeling her in!! 100lb german shepard would give you a fight lol!!wow you know im bored with thoughts like that!!!! see you in the spring unless you want to make a trip again for some practice and no you cant borrow the dog!!!! lol!!!

mrmacey
12-17-2002, 04:29 PM
to that troll set up says use thick mono cause your gonna be handlineing that 36ft, in ok!!! on to something else!!!

mrmacey
12-18-2002, 07:52 AM
ever try this one i found it on a site looks cool to get over rocks

mrmacey
12-18-2002, 06:55 PM
charlie more fishing the north shore for stripers they were catching left and right with chum slick and drifting herring made it look so easy!!!!

Van
12-19-2002, 09:18 AM
MM:

That rig looks intersting, but IMO its got too much hardware.
Stripers tend to be gear shy, so i try to keep it to a minimum.
Fishing shallow in the spring is productive, but again I use the minimum amount of tackle. (a hook)..

When I tube and worm, I drag a drift anchor and let out line (lead core) till it taps the bottom then bring it up. I am also ususally in shallow water.

CAN"T WAIT FOR SPRING