View Full Version : Do Something about River Herring Mon & Tues Evening

BasicPatrick
11-29-2008, 09:26 PM
RECREATIONAL FISHING ACTION ALERT

IMPORTANT RIVER HERRING HEARINGS IN PLYMOUTH ON MONDAY
AND GOLUCESTER ON TUESDAY

DON’T LOOSE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO GET SOMETHING DONE---SHOW UP & BE HEARD

THE ISSUE: For years fishermen have been complaining at fishing clubs and on internet message boards about the many problems with river herring. This week fishermen in MA & ME have the opportunity to not only complain but to step up and do something by giving comment at hearings held by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission which is the agency that regulates river herring. These management hearing do not come up often and they do count. If we don’t show up, we will loose.

Recently, Matt Cieri, a scientist from the Maine Department of Marine Resources presented a study suggesting that at-sea, small-mesh fisheries could be taking as many as 2.5 million pounds of river herring annually! With very low observer coverage on these vessels, almost none of the river herring by catch is ever reported. Given that river herring runs throughout New England have declined by 95-99% and populations are at historic lows, continued at-sea fishing mortality is a huge threat to this important forage species.

WHY NOW: The Atlantic States Marine Fishery Commission is currently working on an amendment to the interstate River Herring Management Plan that could vastly improve the monitoring and regulations of the small mesh fleets especially the sea herring fishery. The sea herring fishery can land over 1.5 million pounds of sea herring per trip. Although they are targeting sea herring, river herring may also be mixed in (sea herring and river herring are related, but not the same species). Managers can not accurately account for the impact the sea herring fishery is having on river herring and they need to set regulations to change this.
The plan will also urge states to improve spawning habitat, fish ladders and complete studies to determine the size and health of the river herring stock. The Commission needs to understand the importance of immediate action. There are a number of scheduled public hearings on this amendment, which will provide interested groups and citizens a forum to be heard. If you can not attend the hearings, they are also accepting written comments.

WHAT TO SAY AT THE HEARING:
Suggested items to include in your comments at hearings:
Ask for 100% observer coverage on the high-volume herring fleets
Ask for limits on the number of pounds of river herring taken per-trip and l
Ask for limits on how much river herring is taken annually by at sea fisheries
Ask for date and time specific closures to keep vessels and small mesh gear out of areas where history has shown high numbers of river herring in by catch
Ask for regulations to improve river herring spawning habitat and migration corridors
Ask for a formal river herring stock assessment to determine population size and health

HEARING DETAILS
12/1 (6:00 PM):
ASMFC Public Hearing on Draft Amendment 2 to the Interstate Fishery Management Plan for River Herring, Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries, Plymouth Radisson, 180 Water Street, Plymouth, Massachusetts. For more information, please contact Melanie Griffin at (617) 626-1528.
12/2 (6:00 PM):
ASMFC Public Hearing on Draft Amendment 2 to the Interstate Fishery Management Plan for River Herring, Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries, Annisquam River Marine Fisheries Station, 30 Emerson Avenue, Gloucester, Massachusetts. For more information, please contact Melanie Griffin at (617) 626-1528.
12/2 (6:00 PM):
ASMFC Public Hearing on Draft Amendment 2 to the Interstate Fishery Management Plan for River Herring, Maine Department of Marine Resources, Wiscasset High School, 272 Gardinner Road, Wiscasset, Maine. For more information, please contact Terry Stockwell at (207) 624-6553.
12/8 (6:00 PM):
ASMFC Public Hearing on Draft Amendment 2 to the Interstate Fishery Management Plan for River Herring, Maine Department of Marine Resources, Ellsworth High School, 299 State Street, Ellsworth, Maine. For more information, please contact Terry Stockwell at (207) 624-6553.
12/11 (6:00 PM):
ASMFC Public Hearing on Draft Amendment 2 to the Interstate Fishery Management Plan for River Herring, Maine Department of Marine Resources, University of Maine Machias Science Center, 9 O’Brien Avenue, Machias, Maine. For more information, please contact Terry Stockwell at (207) 624-6553.

BasicPatrick
11-29-2008, 09:35 PM
The question is who is going to meet me at the hearing and step up. We need people there or we face the same fate as always.

If this room isn't packed we will get what we, the recreational fishgin community deserve...poor management of important forage fish.

This is a time for action so I ask....Who is coming????

BasicPatrick
11-30-2008, 01:17 PM
bump

JohnR
11-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Tomorrow night? Plymouth? Even money I will be there

redcrbbr
11-30-2008, 02:31 PM
not promising, but a good chance I will show.

BasicPatrick
11-30-2008, 09:20 PM
We need all the help we can get.

BasicPatrick
12-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Big Kudos to Redbrabber and Danny from MSBA for showing up...it's a shame we cant get more people out to these hearings when the process is ongoing...I guess we just give up the right to complain when the actions formed at these hearings are enacted.

JohnR
12-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Couldn't make it Patrick, I was working.

redcrbbr
12-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Patrick, any word on how the meeting in Gloucester went?

TheSurfcaster
12-03-2008, 06:19 AM
12/02/2008

Division of Marine Fisheries
251 Causeway Street
Suite 400
Boston, MA 01221

Re: Public Hearing in Plymouth, MA

To Whom It May Concern:

I tried, I guess in vain, to gather fishermen to attend the public hearing last night in Plymouth. I was disappointed by what I thought was a low attendance, small turn out. Could you give me a head count of the people in attendance at last night meeting held in Plymouth, not by name just by group if possible?

Thank you,

and here is the response............

The following is a list of groups that were represented at the public hearing in Plymouth MA last night:
SRPEDD (Southeast Regional Planning and Economic Development District)
MA Striped Bass Association
MBBA
Stripa Tackle Co.
Cape Cod Comm. Hook Fishermen's Assoc.
The Nature Conservancy

In total, there were nine members of the public who attended, as well as three state representatives.
There is also a meeting tonight in Gloucester, MA at 6 pm where we will be collecting additional public comment.

If you need any more information on Amendment 2 please feel free to contact me.

Cheers,
Kate Taylor

- - -
Kate Taylor, FMP Coordinator
Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission
1444 Eye St., N.W., 6th Floor
Washington, D.C. 20005

www.asmfc.org
p: 202-289-6400
e: ktaylor@asmfc.org

IF ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO GET MORE TO ATTEND PLEASE POST THEM,

MAYBE AN E-MAIL TO ALL MEMBERS BELONGING TO FISHING CLUBS?

JohnR
12-03-2008, 07:24 AM
IF ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO GET MORE TO ATTEND PLEASE POST THEM,

MAYBE AN E-MAIL TO ALL MEMBERS BELONGING TO FISHING CLUBS?

More people simply need to decide to go. Some people go to a lot or a few meetings/hearings but most don't go an let others do it.

We simply need more and better representation of individual anglers.

Recently, the Daunis R.O.W. issue was settled largely by the unexpected turn out of many Barrington Anglers. This worked by people getting the word out and getting people to show up.

We need to be able to do the same on other issues, yeh, it's a pain in the arse, but if we don't do it, we'll lose it.

maddmatt
12-03-2008, 12:21 PM
patrick, is there any way to get a meeting in ct?we've got the same issues down here. tell nmfs ct should be represented too.