View Full Version : Winter Moths

ProfessorM
12-01-2008, 05:22 PM
They are out in force this week.

BigFish
12-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Got that right! There are about 100 of em' at my back door!! Doesn't the cold we have had kill them???

saltfly
12-01-2008, 05:36 PM
sitting at the dining room window tying flies and the lights have attracted a window full of them.Got to be a couple hundred of them

striperman36
12-01-2008, 06:01 PM
millions along the streets here.

Raven
12-01-2008, 06:40 PM
they think it's spring

striperman36
12-01-2008, 07:07 PM
there have been moths around for a couple weeks, even when it's been 18F at night. What kind of bug, doesn't die off in a hard freeze

Tagger
12-01-2008, 07:15 PM
They're in Brockton Also ..

Squid kids Dad
12-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Almost as bad as the cicadas..less noisey tho

ProfessorM
12-02-2008, 09:48 AM
This is the time of the year they mate. If you got loads of them expect lots of defoliation next spring. Between them and the gypsy's it is a losing battle.

FishermanTim
12-02-2008, 12:09 PM
They are another import that has been left to "go forth and multiply" unchecked.
They are a unique insect that can survive in freezing temps, mate at night and will most definitely be back 100x in the spring as those annoying little green caterpillars us see hanging from every tree.
They will do considerable damage to all new growth this comong spring, and since they cannot be completely irradicated, they are here to stay (like the gypsy moths and the red lily leaf bettles).
Since they mate in late fall, there aren't any predators to eat them, and since they do it at night, even the birds are able to benefit from a free meal.

Here's a neat winter moth fact: The ones you see fluttering around are all males. The females don't have wings. They will crawl up on wall, trees, fences etc. and wait for the males to come to them.
Your best bet would be to begin spraying for them when the bushes/trees begin to put out new growth in the spring.
The common wisdom says using a horticulteral oil mix is best, but I may try my own homemade bug spray: chewing tabacco juice and anti-bacterial soap mixed in a hand sprayer.
Soak the tobacco in a quart of water, add 1-2 tbls. of soap and mix.
put in sprayer and hit the plants. I would suggest using a mask/filter if you use a fine spray since this stuff is nasty both to you and the bugs. (If you have ever chewed tobacco, or know someone that had, ask what happens when you swallow tobacco juice!)
I would also keep the kids and pets indoors while spraying, just to be safe, because the main ingredient in this mix is nicotene. This stuff is basically a cancer causing poison.

I suggest doing this early in the spring, because you will ruin any fruit and veggies that get sprayed because it will be absorbed into the fruit of the plants.

Best of luck with this blasted moths.

striperman36
12-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Thats the best use of chewing tobacco I've ever seen.

Swimmer
12-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Volcks Oil Spray and there is a fruit tree all purpose oil spray that kills the eggs that are laid on trees by the moths in the winter along with all the other useless (aphids and such) that live on your yard trees in the winter. Usually spray while trees still dormant and once afterwards.

ProfessorM
12-02-2008, 01:23 PM
You have to get them early. They feed on the buds mostly not the leaves like Gypsy moths. You don't really even see them until it is too late. They wiped out my blu berries one year. Oil spray should only be used if it is not going to be below freezing that nite which it can be in early spring. I use it on all my fruits. Personally I like something more powerful in the early spring to get the little buggers. Sevin is what I use. I only us it once as I don't like to use powerful chemicals but it is necessary in some case's this being one. Contact your county extension service for more info as they have several info sheets available for the asking. That is what they are there for.

PRBuzz
12-01-2010, 05:31 PM
The only good winter moth!

striperman36
12-01-2010, 07:29 PM
I need to video my flamethrower moth eater