View Full Version : Small boat hydraulic steering

SAUERKRAUT
12-02-2008, 10:36 PM
I did this on a 17' Montauk seven years ago with a Seastar 1.7 cu. in. cylinder system. Subsequently, they came out with a far cheaper "everything included" system called Baystar, with cut to fit hoses, rated for up to 150 hp. OB's single engine instillation.

Anybody have any experience with this Baystar hydraulic steering system? What am I losing between this and the far more expensive Seastar system?

Any help appreciated; thanx

ProfessorM
12-03-2008, 11:45 AM
I put one in 2 years ago after the rack and pinion seized up. Honda 90. Easy install. The only thing I think you will loose is $$$$. Obviously if you have a bigger motor you need the bigger system. I got mine on line for a good price. If you want the location let me know and I will PM you.I think I remember. Paul

MakoMike
12-03-2008, 04:48 PM
I can'tr help you with the baystar system, but I do have a seastar system on my boat that I have repaired several times.

SAUERKRAUT
12-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Thank you for replies. My application is a 115 hp., and well within the supposed range of this less expensive Baystar hydraulic system. Maybe there is a smaller helm pump with this cheaper Baystar system;and therefore, a larger no. of turns lock to lock on the steering wheel? But most of the time we're going straight.

I like my hydraulics on my 17' Whaler even though it's overkill. I agree that I spend some time, periodically, on hydraulic system seals, leaks, refills, and repairs.

macojoe
12-03-2008, 08:38 PM
I can't help as I am new to hydraulic steering, But I have a question, mine seems to work fine, but man it has to be 6 turns lock to lock! Not sure on the real number of turns but man its a lot.
Is this normal on some??

Gary
12-03-2008, 09:49 PM
I have installed both, and the baystar system is just a lighter duty helm and the outboard piston is a little different. There both made by teleflex. IMHO there both good units.

Rockfish9
12-04-2008, 12:39 PM
I installed a baystar system a number of years ago on my 18' Jon Dory... powered by a 115 Merc....Best investment I ever made...no more fighting steering torque.. the biggest advantage i gained was getting into my slip, I have to parrellel park in a limited access mud slip on a corner... spinning the wheel that fast to back in and change thrust direction with cable steering was a tough go.... with hydraulic.. it's never a challenge...

numbskull
12-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Switch the Sea Star to your bigger boat and replace it with the smaller unit you cheap baztard.

MTC
12-09-2008, 01:45 AM
I could get you the Baystar HK4200A Kit for $508 fob my cohasset shop...

SAUERKRAUT
12-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Thank you for your comments and replies (except Numbskull's...). I haven't yet purchased the Baystar kit yet, but that price of $508 sounds REAL good. Has the HK 4200 cylinder been discontinued or updated in this Baystar kit system?

MTC
01-05-2009, 02:46 AM
How's it working?

SAUERKRAUT
01-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I did by the Baystar hydraulic system and it was simple to follow the instructions and fit it to the 115 E-tec. The hydraulic cables are run, but I am awaiting delivery of the consule to do the helm portion.

Electrifying the stbd. rubrail to wire in a bowlight worked well also as the middle portion of the Whaler rubrail is just a black rubber tube and made to pull out, and to hammer back into the molding (with the wires behind it).

For the better, I believe, I managed to stuff the battery, oil reservoir, fuel/water filter, bilgepump and battery switch under deck aft through the splashwell hatch opening. Access is a hassle for maintenance, but it sure makes for a neat clean boat topside, and preserves absolutely critical weatherproof, waterproof under consule space, which is always too small already in anybody's small boat.

Dick_od
01-19-2009, 10:37 PM
I bought a unit on the THT site paid $300 , easy install worked great last year hope it holds up over the winter. I bought it because I fish by myself most of the time and whe I have a fish on I lose track of where I am, found my self close to structures many time and needed the ability to power up ad turn the wheel at the same time with one hand , I am glad I did it.
O'D

MTC
01-28-2009, 06:45 PM
I bought a unit on the THT site paid $300 , easy install worked great last year hope it holds up over the winter. I bought it because I fish by myself most of the time and whe I have a fish on I lose track of where I am, found my self close to structures many time and needed the ability to power up ad turn the wheel at the same time with one hand , I am glad I did it.
O'D

Was that new or used?