View Full Version : Seatrout on MA water

Notaro
12-10-2002, 03:49 PM
Hi, I'm a new member here. My name is Joseph Tien and I am an avid deaf angler. I would like to know if seatrouts are around MA water. Can anyone here tell me where and when to find them?
Thanks.:D

JohnR
12-10-2002, 04:26 PM
Notaro - welcome to S-B..

The ONLY place that I'm familiar with with "Sea Run Trout" is Scorton's Creek in Sandwich - just over the Sagamore bridge on the Cape... I don't chase those so I really have no more to say

Now if you are talkin Weakfish, a/k/a Seatrout, Sqeet, Squeteague, about as far north as I've seen them is into Buzzards Bay but better in Narragansett Bay & Mt Hope Bay.

Which one do you mean?

Now, for Stripers :kewl:

bassmaster
12-10-2002, 06:17 PM
Salters can be found in the some of the rivers in falmouth and Mashpee
I forget the names

mikecc
12-10-2002, 06:51 PM
They are in Wareham in the Weweantic river below the Horse shoe mill dam.

Watch out for the Pickle puffers.

Notaro
12-10-2002, 07:11 PM
John, I was refering to weakfish. Seatrouts and weakfish are same. I am not familiar with Rhode Island. I would like to go on a trip with someone who has experiences fishing in Rhode Island.

Notaro
12-10-2002, 07:16 PM
hey mikecc, is this place a shore fishing? how should i fish there? wading, surf, etc? and what are pickle puffers? isn't onset beach on wareham?

Notaro
12-10-2002, 07:17 PM
BM, what are salters? do you mean by weeakfish? and do you really live in mecca or are you just joking around?

bassmaster
12-10-2002, 08:06 PM
salter=sea runs brown trout here....
I only seen 1 weakfish in parkers river up the road here but that was 11 years ago:smash:

JohnR
12-11-2002, 07:38 AM
Notaro - BM lives in a FISHING Mecca (or so he believes ;) ) ...

Weakies don't really go past the canal all that often and are really found from Rhody to points south. Best time in Rhody is probably late May thru June but they are still pretty hard to find and get - especially from shore.

Have you caught a Striper before?

mikecc
12-11-2002, 09:01 AM
hey mikecc, is this place a shore fishing? how should i fish there? wading, surf, etc? and what are pickle puffers? isn't onset beach on wareham?

It can be accessed by shore. mose guys wade in the river and cast small rapalas & spoon type lures.

Pcikle puffers are a few guys that have adopted the parking area as their owne :humpty: :humpty:
they will follow you if you are alone .
nothing a 9mm cant solve :nailem: :nailem:

Onset is part of Wareham O B is in the center of Onsat below the town Pier

Saltheart
12-11-2002, 03:04 PM
You'll have better luck getting where to's if you call them weakfish or Squeetegue. Not many people around here call them trout. I believe in jersey where they are plentiful , they call them trout.

STEVE IN MASS
12-11-2002, 05:54 PM
Saltheart....nope, in Jersey, they are still weakies.....ya need to get down to Maryland or Virginia, North Carolina before they are trout....

Grey Trout down there = Weakfish
Speckled Trout = well, speckled trout, or Specs......don't see many Spec's north of Southern Virginia, that I know of....

:)

BasicPatrick
12-11-2002, 07:39 PM
Four Years ago
Captain Mike of Ave Maria fame and myself got a 7pound Weakfish in Boston Harbor. At the time Rick Nrecomb of Four River Bait & Tackle told us that every few years one is caught in the Harbor. I have not heard of once since ours.

Notaro
12-12-2002, 01:54 AM
So you guys are telling me that it isn't worthy for me to hunt for specks and weakies? Okay, can you guys tell me what is rocking at Rockport? You dudes should try fishing at Rockport. It's my favorite spot there. Cape Cod gives me difficulties.