View Full Version : Putting New Guides on a Blank

Crafty Angler
12-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Just picked up a pair of matching J Kennedy Fisher 8' boat rods, both wrapped conventional and they're pretty danged nice - I've been thinking of having one redone as a spinning rod so I'd have one of each.

Obviously, ya gotta flip it over when you do it to get the spine correct - any other things to watch out for? Or is it just not advisable -

What do you think a reasonable fee for doing it might be - assuming I'm probably just gonna go with Fuji guides?

Also - what do you have to do to remove the reel seat - is it a matter of Dremeling off the old one?

Sorry for the multiple questions - never had this done with a rod before, wanna make sure I've got my bases covered.

Thanks in advance -

stcroixman
12-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Call wickford rodworks

Crafty Angler
12-07-2008, 06:16 AM
Thanks, stcroixman -

I guess I'm just trying to determine the degree of difficulty in converting a convench to spinning -

Goose
12-07-2008, 02:57 PM
as far as the reel seat goes...you should have no problem if its metal but if its graphite and done right you may a have a difficult time. also, your going to have to strip and paint the blank.

I done bunch of rods like that but imo your better off buying a blank and compontents because its very time and labor consuming and that add$ up. not to mention it may not have the action you think it might.

canalbeach
12-07-2008, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE=Goose;644576]as far as the reel seat goes...you should have no problem if its metal but if its graphite and done right you may a have a difficult time. also, your going to have to strip and paint the blank.

Goose why would you have to strip and paint the blank?

striperman36
12-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Most rods will show wear where the guides and reelseat are.

You can do this, but I would agree with others on this post, sell them and get a spinner made. much less hassle

SeaWolf
12-08-2008, 10:16 AM
most production rods are built on the straightest axis and not spined, as many custom rod builders would do. you may be fine just throwing guides on it as is because on a spinning rod, spine is not as important as it is on a standard, non-spiraled conventional rod. on a spinning rod, the line is on the bottom of the rod, so it is already stable under load. as far as guides, stick with fuji's. if you want to keep prices down, go with hardloy or alconites.

RIROCKHOUND
12-08-2008, 12:14 PM
I second Wickford Chuck;
Bob does great work!
if he can keep guide spacing and such the same cosmetics shouldn't be too bad....

Crafty Angler
12-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks, men :kewl:

Just wanted to get a feel for what was involved - definitely don't want to wreck the rod - if that was the risk, I'd just leave it a conventional.

Just thought with one as a spinner it would give me more options next season to have both rigged and ready to go for different apps.

I've had good luck with hardloys so far - that's probably gonna be the call.

Actually, I have to go over to the Mainland this week - Bry, do you have a number for Bob at Wickford RW - you can PM me if that's more appropriate. I've had him recommended before. If he's around I'll bring the rod over for him to look at.

I won the Spring trip with piemma at The Habs Raffle - I just want to make sure I'm locked and loaded for that one...:uhuh:

Goose
12-09-2008, 10:01 PM
You want to strip and paint because you always want the blank to look knew.. you shouldn't be able to recognise it was ever messed with.

Crafty Angler
12-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Thanks, Goose