View Full Version : Wife wants a fly rod....need help

Mr. Sandman
12-11-2002, 08:46 AM
OK, my wife (who can hold her own surf fishing) has ask me to get her a fly rod. I don't do too much fly fishing and only have one rather old rod that I won maybe 20 years ago.
What set up (rod/reel/line) would you guys recommend to a average size (5'7")woman. She would be mainly using it from shore but might take it on-board a CC from time to time. It will be used 99% of the time locally for blues/bonito/bass/albies....ect, and if she gets lucky a bull dolphin offshore in August.

Cost? I am willing to drop a some coin on this but don't desire to go completely overboard. So suggest something mid-upper range...

I was going to head over to Larrys B&T which has a lot of fly gear but wanted to get your thoughts before I did...
thanks

fishsmith
12-11-2002, 09:09 AM
In '99 for just over $400, I got a 9ft 9/10wt, Redington rod medium action (they said it has a lifetime warranty), and a Tioga reel with two filled spools one for medium line one for sinking.
This rod is battle tested on the shore and boat, it has held up very well for me.
I use the sinking line 99% of the time.

Good Luck.

saltydog
12-11-2002, 05:43 PM
:smash: mr.sandman, e-mail me Ive got all instock rods and reels on sale, you will be :happy: :happy: :happy: you did.
'GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN"