View Full Version : Etex/createx adhesion question

steelhead
12-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Did my first bunch of plugs pinted with createx the other day. Scuffed them up with 320 grit sandpaper before I applied my etex. Did my usual mix and stir for 3 minutes. I stopped after the first three cause I noticed it's not adhering evenly. I'm getting spots where it pulls back, leaving small spots on the plug that are still finished in paint only. Should I be applying a clear enamel finish coat before I put on the etex? The three plugs I was doing were all pearl paints. Does that make a difference?

I assume I can strip the three I did and repaint or reseal. Just a PIA...

ProfessorM
12-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Sounds like you handled them with dirty fingers. I used to use a clear coat but gave that up. 1 less step. I put right over createx usually with no problems. Just need to keep you hands very clean and don't touch. No need to scuff the createx either. Just make sure you heat set the paint with a hair dryer. I heat set every coat, color, I do. Makes a difference. I don't use E-tex I use sys. 3 clear coat but I wouldn't think it would make a difference on what epoxy you use. Good luck and practice makes perfect

steelhead
12-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Dirt could be the culprit as a few RI fishing buddies of mine fondled them last week. At this point, the best bet would be sand them down and redo? Or could I give them a good wipe with acetone and apply another coat of epoxy?

I always hit the etex with heat. What's it do for the createx paint?

numbskull
12-06-2008, 05:06 PM
System three is fussier. Any silicone will mess you up. Don't use medical syringes, wash and wipe your cups, stirring rod, and brushes with alcohol first. Don't touch the plugs. Put it on right over the createx, don't sand first. Sacrifice a small animal or child first.

steelhead
12-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Latex gloves, too?

eastendlu
12-06-2008, 05:52 PM
System three is fussier. Any silicone will mess you up. Don't use medical syringes, wash and wipe your cups, stirring rod, and brushes with alcohol first. Don't touch the plugs. Put it on right over the createx, don't sand first. Sacrifice a small animal or child first.

Use chickens much cheaper .

ruhroh
12-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Alcohol wipe and then re-coat.

Striperknight
12-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Alcohol wipe and then re-coat.

This will destroy the paint. Just clear coat with a flat clear coat spray paint or createx clear. DO not touch them and let the e-tex fly.

You can use latex gloves but have to wash them off 1st. A lot of gloves are packed with powder. Ask me how I know that.:wall:

gone fishin
12-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Sounds like a silicone or oil problem. The plugs must be clean. Don't handle them after touching anything contaminated. Professor hit it right on the head. Createx should be set with heat. I also use a hairdryer and found that it saves lots of painting problems.:chatter

Pete F.
12-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Animals all gone, does the child also have to be small?

Slipknot
12-07-2008, 10:52 AM
don't forget, pearl paint has a surface that is not easily adhered to. I like to put a clear coat on pearls and scuff it with a scotchbrite pad before epoxy. and yes, contaminants like oils from hands and silicone can cause trouble

steelhead
12-07-2008, 01:00 PM
I put a coat of clear enamel on a couple last night and epoxied them this AM. The results look much better... Looks like the solution for the rest of this batch to be sure the epoxy covers evenly. Then better handling next batch.

ruhroh
12-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Oops, forgot you said createx. I've done it with rattle cans. Sorry.

steelhead
12-07-2008, 07:32 PM
That's okay. I still have a bunch of rattlecans on the shelf.... I'll remember your tip.

Rockfish9
12-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Everybody here has pretty much addressed the issue, I let the paint ( I use delta, or Anita's) cure for 48 hours, because most of my plugs get a pearlized belly( as Slip knot refered to, adhesion issues at times), I clear coat with clear gloss lacquer first, I allow 24 hours before applying etex, I always handel with vinyl powder free gloves and coat with e-tex, this combo through lots of tria and error gives me a strong perminant bond... no issues..It's all about cleanliness, the oil from your skin can be enough to cause problems, never use hand creames, lanolin soaps or other soaps with conditioners prior to handeling plugs....

smac
12-08-2008, 07:02 PM
I screw in some 3" screw hooks into the end of the my plugs and they wiped with mineral spirits before painting. The hooks don't come out til the epoxy has dried for a couple days and I am about to assemble the hardware. The hooks make it much easier and sturdy than wire to move the blanks from paint, to the spinner, to the drying rack.

Bottom line, dont play/touch your wood til it's time. :jump:

good luck,
Scott

Mugz
12-11-2008, 01:00 PM
I didn't realize createx needs to be heat set? I have never done it.....and my plugs are fine.

ProfessorM
12-11-2008, 03:30 PM
It doesn't have to but you are better off. Try scratching the stuff off after you just spray it and let it dry and then after you heat set it dry. Also aids in the removal of any patterns or templates so you don't smudge the paint when you don't have the patience to wait . A definitive difference IMO.

smac
12-11-2008, 10:49 PM
It doesn't have to but you are better off. Try scratching the stuff off after you just spray it and let it dry and then after you heat set it dry. Also aids in the removal of any patterns or templates so you don't smudge the paint when you don't have the patience to wait . A definitive difference IMO.

Sounds good . I will try it. Thank Prof.

Mugz
12-12-2008, 11:27 AM
I will definitely try this.......THANKS