View Full Version : Hurts so good

Got Stripers
12-13-2002, 03:48 PM
and no I'm not talking about some spike healed, leather clad women digging her heels into my butt:). My thumb is worn past skin and is a bloody mess, after setting a personal record for numbers anyway today. I lost track at 100 fish, and quit after my thumb became just too sore to continue, but I'd guess over 120 today on what was a beautiful calm morning and early afternoon. What was amazing to me is that this happened between 9 when I started and 1:30 when I'd had enough, it was cast & catch all day. Nothing big, but I did manage maybe 10 fish pushing 5-8 lbs, when I switched over to dragging my 8 inch grub around. Saw one 10-15 lber follow a hook fish up, but wasn't lucky in the large department. Still it's December and I'm not complaining:).

STEVE IN MASS
12-13-2002, 04:06 PM
That's only cause ya didn't have me on the boat.

You're a jerk.....;)

Just kidding, bud, I am so jealous............glad ya had fun!!!!!:cool: :)

fliboy
12-15-2002, 08:44 AM
Got Stripers - where are you picking them up. I'm up in southern NH, but wouldn't mind hitting the beach one more time before hanging up the gear.

TL,

Dave

JohnR
12-15-2002, 08:49 AM
He's getting them in the "Rose of New England", also known as the Thames. He's also getting them from boat but it's still conceivable to get them from shore...

fliboy
12-15-2002, 08:57 AM
Hey John - thanks. That's one area I haven't even been to. Willing to share a couple good spots that are accessible from shore that I could try? I may head down later this morning. Probably will be bringing my 12 year old son, as he wouldn't mind catching some fish. With schoolies around, I should be able to keep him interested.

Thanks!

TL,

Dave

JohnR
12-15-2002, 09:28 AM
Norwich, CT - I have not fished it from shore, only from boat. But you can sometimes find them along the V of the shore between the branches of the river. Think small soft plastics & sluggos on jig heads... You'll need a CT freshwater license which you can get at the Fish Connection in Preston, CT

Got Stripers
12-15-2002, 01:41 PM
There are a couple spots from shore that you should be able to hook up fairly consistantly. In front of the scrap yard there is a green and pale yellow building, the longer yellow building has a 30 foot hole no more than 25 feet out from shore and it runs the length of the building. I don't know if the owners will allow you to park and cast, because I rarely see people there, however that would be a good spot. On the opposite shore and slightly down river there is a yellow crane and some pilings on sort of a dirt pier, good spot right out in front on a dropping tide. Up from there all along that shore to the boat slips is a good bet on a rising tide. I'm always looking for people to share in the expense of the drive down for me, so keep a watch, because I've gone solo the last two trips down.

Young Salt
12-16-2002, 09:13 AM
How do you keep an accurate count of the number of fish you catch? :confused: I personally have a tough time keeping track after 10 fish. So when people ask me how many fish I caught and I tell them I lost track they think i'm holding back on them or lying about it.

DRUMCORPFAN
12-16-2002, 11:59 AM
wow bob, you really got stripers. go get-em pal :happy:

Jenn
12-16-2002, 12:27 PM
and no I'm not talking about some spike healed, leather clad women digging her heels into my butt

hey...uh no nevermind...I wont try analyzing that one!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

ragfly
12-17-2002, 07:26 AM
I used to have the same problem with my thumb getting raw. Then about 3 years ago I got some trebles stuck in my thumb and went looking for a solution. I found it, a fish gripper. I purchased one from Cabelas for $10 and have used it for 2 years now and I can honestly say. WHY did I wait so long to get one of them! You can go the expensive route of a Boga grip. there is also the middle of the road grippers out there.