View Full Version : Tuna Wrestling

fishbones
12-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Anyone on the Cape hear about this? It happened in November.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ker1KtZgyY

thefishingfreak
12-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Amazing and quite Illegal !!

Gary
12-17-2008, 06:02 PM
In Chatham we refer to that as the Liginza Special, Ive seen it done on the flats of monomoy more than once. Most of the times the fish were much larger than that football, in the area of 400-600# It is usualy done without alot of hands on, chase the fish into a tidal pool and wait for the tide to go out. a 500# fish Vs. a 175# shelfisherman is an interesting battle to say the least. :bl2:

RickBomba
12-17-2008, 06:28 PM
That's about 150 feet from my uncle's back porch. I was in the same spot as the cameraman fishing one night in Late October, and the stripers were going crazy under the lights from the pier. Lotsa bait there, guessing the guys in the wetsuits had seen fish in close before attempting this (note how fast the guy got the knife and bled the fish).
Crazy (and yes, muy illegal).
Later,
Rick

numbskull
12-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Someone needs to show him how to bleed a tuna.

Pete F.
12-17-2008, 09:30 PM
I always wonder why you can't catch tuna from shore, is'nt it a real shot in the dark. Never mind corraling one barehanded. Is there any way this will affect the population?

likwid
12-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Someone needs to show him how to bleed a tuna.

Someone should show HIM how to bleed.

Circlehook
12-17-2008, 11:03 PM
That tuna's tail was flapping like crazy on the sand, so much power. Could only imagine one on the end of my line.

BasicPatrick
12-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Rumor has it this video was investigated and a six digit fine was issued.

MakoMike
12-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Rumor has it this video was investigated and a six digit fine was issued.

Good! I hope its true!

Sweetwater
12-18-2008, 02:25 PM
This is a comment that appears on Youtube and was posted by one of the people who wrestled in the tuna.

Youtube handle: squider9

"if you look closely there is a coastguard guy cheering us on about 2/3 the way through the video... the guy in red -- this all occurred pretty much under the coastguard pier with five of them watching. I brought a harpoon from the boat I work on but they said I had to take it by hand so I went home an got the wetsuit.

I guess under the law its just a really intense form of beachcombing."

fishbones
12-18-2008, 02:44 PM
There were quite a few comments posted on youtube by the guy who supposedly did it and it sounds like they didn't get in much trouble at all. I still don't understand how it could be "beachcombing" when they corralled the fish and physically pushed it up onto shore.

thefishingfreak
12-18-2008, 05:31 PM
seems to me it's haul seining without the net. that fish would not have beached itself if those two hadn't forced it to do so.
regardless, you need a permit to land them and you can only get a permit for a boat.
"Beach fish do not count" :hihi:

Circlehook
12-18-2008, 10:28 PM
That isn't technically landing, right? I mean landing is a rod and reel fishing term, and they didn't grab it and drag it on shore, they didn't actually touch it till it was on shore.

With haul seining, the fish gets corraled and trapped physically in a net.

Sounds to me like they found a loophole.

Gary
12-19-2008, 07:03 PM
I don't understand why so many bed wetting liberals are up in arms about this. It would not be any different than catching one from a boat or the thread on here tuna from the shore. no one would complain if he were doing it with bluefish. sorry if i pissed any one off but thats my opinion and we all know what opinions are like...........

likwid
12-19-2008, 07:09 PM
This is a comment that appears on Youtube and was posted by one of the people who wrestled in the tuna.

Youtube handle: squider9

"if you look closely there is a coastguard guy cheering us on about 2/3 the way through the video... the guy in red -- this all occurred pretty much under the coastguard pier with five of them watching. I brought a harpoon from the boat I work on but they said I had to take it by hand so I went home an got the wetsuit.

I guess under the law its just a really intense form of beachcombing."

I really doubt most CG know the fed tuna laws by heart.
They may know about the necessity for a boat to have a permit but I doubt they know its illegal for a fish to be taken in this manner.
And his followup about the "sample"? Yeah. Sure.

I don't understand why so many bed wetting liberals are up in arms about this. It would not be any different than catching one from a boat or the thread on here tuna from the shore. no one would complain if he were doing it with bluefish. sorry if i pissed any one off but thats my opinion and we all know what opinions are like...........

Because its a combination of stupid rednecks with attitudes like yours and greed that is causing BFT to be wiped out and people like these idiots ruining it for the rest of us.
That explain it for you?

thefishingfreak
12-19-2008, 07:42 PM

It's called POACHING. Look it up wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poaching) #2 #5 and #8 and #9
The poacher does not possess a license.
The hunter used an illegal weapon for that animal
The means used are illegal
The animal or plant is protected by law

Sea Dangles
12-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Some have been known to poach stripers while tuna fishing.

thefishingfreak
12-19-2008, 08:00 PM
if your talikng about me? that fish was released alive!

Circlehook
12-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Gary, hows your sweet A$$ canal cruiser doing? Don't see you on here much.

RickBomba
12-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Snowstorm, flame wars...guys, winter hasn't even sarted yet!

Cabin Feeeva

I hate seals!

thefishingfreak
12-19-2008, 09:51 PM
that will be all out of me.. kool video none the less :zup:

Pete F.
12-20-2008, 12:04 AM
Without getting into the legality of this subject,
1. How many tuna do you think could be wrestled to shore each year?
2. How many tuna could be caught by rod and reel from shore each year?
3. How many tuna are caught on rod and reel from boats each year?

wheresmy50
12-20-2008, 09:48 AM
You guys go too far sometimes. How many boats run out to slaughter football bluefins "legally" whenever they're unfortunate enough to come within range? Everyone who can read, which means about half of the guys in these boats, knows bluefin are in trouble and they do it anyway. But it's legal right? I mean, as long as it's legal. Some people would slit their mother's throat if it was legal.

New law, I just made it. You can kill as many tuna as you want as long as you do it with your bare hands. First ammendment, knives are allowed.

I bet my law helps the population recover a lot faster than yours.

Backbeach Jake
12-20-2008, 10:45 AM
You guys go too far sometimes. How many boats run out to slaughter football bluefins "legally" whenever they're unfortunate enough to come within range? Everyone who can read, which means about half of the guys in these boats, knows bluefin are in trouble and they do it anyway. But it's legal right? I mean, as long as it's legal. Some people would slit their mother's throat if it was legal.

New law, I just made it. You can kill as many tuna as you want as long as you do it with your bare hands. First ammendment, knives are allowed.

I bet my law helps the population recover a lot faster than yours.

I would have kept that fish if I could bare hand it.

Isambard_Sypher
12-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Thats similar to trout tickling..... Sort of. To spite my ethical views on the video, I'm surprised no one was injured in that stunt.

Pete F.
12-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Without getting into the legality of this subject,
1. How many tuna do you think could be wrestled to shore each year?
2. How many tuna could be caught by rod and reel from shore each year?
3. How many tuna are caught on rod and reel from boats each year?

The total alloted landings I think are 1669 Metric tons
Do you think the half ton captured from shore would affect the population?

RIROCKHOUND
12-21-2008, 09:09 PM
It's not the point.
If it was illegal to catch Bass after 1 Nov, and you caught one on 2 Nov on a toothbrush, floss and some crest for bait, it wouldn't make it right just because it never happens.

Pete F.
12-21-2008, 11:47 PM
The total alloted landings I think are 1669 Metric tons
Do you think the half ton captured from shore would affect the population?
I realize it is against the law and am not advocating doing it. I just find it slightly absurd that you are required to be in a boat to capture one. It's not like there would be a significant impact on the population if it was legal to take one from shore or would there be?