View Full Version : Basic Ice Fishing Info

BasicPatrick
12-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Hello all,

Since moving to the Cape I have developed some interest in Ice Fishing this winter. I have a bunch of knowledge of open water winter fishing (holdovers and sea run browns) but have not ice fished since before I quit drinking over 13 years ago, hence I remember very little.

I have started to gather a set of basic equipment for this winter but want to make sure I have what I will need. Could any of you Iceliners give me some suggestions on basic equipment and comments on pros and cons of various options.

My list so far is:

I have the following...
Hand Chipper Ice Breaker Thingy (not willing to spend $300 on a Power Auger...yet)
I have a Skimmer
I have two green wooden tip ups
I have a pkg of two "sounders" for setting baits and determining depth.
I have a plastic sled type of unit for pulling gear and thermos.

Questions I know to ask...Tip Ups...I have only seen the green wooden ones'...are there others?
I would like comments on experience with a Jigging Rod & Reel
What jigs should be on the mandatory list?
I need some info on options for line.
What Kind of Hooks?
What are the best baits?
What am I missing?

The Dad Fisherman
12-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Patrick, PM sent.

i got bit by the bug too.....gearing up for it this year and will be out as soon as there is some safe ice around

check this place out for ice fishing jigs http://www.jamminjigs.com/

Flaptail
12-18-2008, 11:36 AM
If the water is stiff I and Stifftip are on it. This is an ice fishermans paradise if we get ice (and that is a big if) I specialize in trout and salmon ice fishing but do get over to a big lake in Hyannis where some of the best jig fishing through the ice in the state is located (except when the pike bite off your Rapala ice jig)

call me. Glad to have company. Be ready to eat like a pig because thats all part of the experience when ice fishing. We set up, drill extra holes then the stoves come out the coffee gets brewed and I start the hash browns, eggs and whatever is supplied to cook like venison marinated in Montreal rub, pheasant, fresh trout, steaks it goes on and on.

I have 30 tilts all rigged and ready to go, trout, bass/pickerel, salmon I am rigged and ready so is Stiffy.

Stiffy is a master ice jigger. You have to see him and some of our buds from up Worcester to believe it.

Steve:cheers:

FishermanTim
12-18-2008, 11:57 AM
I've been hard-water fishing for just around 5 years now.
This is what I bring on any given trip:

Jet sled for hauling the gear
8" (size of hole it cuts) hand auger if ice is under 10" thick
10" gas auger for 10" or more (trust me, a hand auger will wear you out when cutting many holes through 10"+ of ice.)

5 gallon bucket to hold up to 10 tip ups, jigging stick, ice skimmer, and bait hand net (aquarium size)

Bait bucket that can hold up to 3 dozen shiners
(I have 2 different buckets. one that can hold 2 dozen and one that can hold 3-5 dozen, but only use the one needed for that day's bait supply. I usually carry the bait since some ice can be rough and will cause the bucket to slosh around. I also use an portable (battery op'd) aerator to help keep the fish lively.

thermos of hot spicy cocoa and tackle bag/box and a rag to dry my hands

I like to bring extra tip-ups and bait because you don't know how the fish will be biting, and if you lose a hook, you will have a spare rig ready to go.

I was up in the Lakes region last weekend and fished on Chocorua Lake in Tamworth, NH. I fished early in the day and managed 2 rainbows and a pickerel. They had 7-8 inches there, and with the current forecast, will be adding more over the next week.
Here, we may have to wait til the end of the year before we see any really safe ice east of Worcester.

They have had some safe ice out west, but that's one heck of a day trip if you ask me.
My favorites are Long Sought for Pond in Westford, Newfield Pond in Chelmsford, Heard Pond in Wayland, Lake Chauncey in Westborough, Winnicunnet in Norton and Russel-Sawmill Pond in Plymouth.

If you're looking for ponds in your area, or elsewhere, check out the pond maps on the Masswildelife website. They can give you ideas about what species you may want to target, and where to enter onto the pond/lake.

I hope this was helpful, and Good luck!

The Dad Fisherman
12-18-2008, 12:25 PM
In Mass you are allowed 5 hooks per person when Ice fishing so what you would probably do is set 4 traps and jig for the 5th. NH is 6 hooks if i'm not mistaken.

What I have for my setup is a sled which holds 9 tip-ups and a couple of jigging poles, 7" old school spoon type hand auger w/ extra blade, a couple of scoops to get ice out of the holes, a net for digging the minnows out of the bucket, a couple of sounders, extra hooks, split shot weights, box o' jigs, hook remover, creepers (korkers), Tape Measure, and a Minnow bucket. I can also strap a folding chair and a cooler to the sled and drag everything out at once.

I got a great deal on this stuff a couple of years ago from MD2020 on the board here.

I've only been out a few times but the one thing I find about Ice Fishing is the Fishing always seems secondary....Its more about getting together w/ people out on the ice. Fire up a portable stove, eat, drink, and be merry.

FishermanTim
12-18-2008, 12:37 PM
I did my first derbies last year. Prior to that, it was either fishing for the relaxation, or fishing to catch fish. Funny thing, they're both the same. If you fish by yourself (which requires extra caution on the ice) or fishing with a group you will enjoy yourself.
I will fish by myself a lot, and will always end up making friends with fellow anglers. It's just a fact of nature: Great minds think and fish alike!

a few more things I would suggest:

Let others know where you are going, just in case they need to reach you, or vice-a-versa.

Pack extra clothes in your vehicle, should you, or someone else happen to "get wet". Hypothermia is nothing to joke about.

Remember to bring your fishing license. Games wardens do patrol some smaller bodies of water, and they WILL ask to see your license.

All this being said, let's get some good ice and get a fish on!

Flaptail
12-18-2008, 02:16 PM
The pretiest trout of the year come through the ice. My fav days are when it is snowing lightly with little wind on 6 to 8 inches of ice. Just beautiful.

AND WE TROUT FISH THROUGH THE ICE AT NIGHT AS WELL!!!!!

Rappin Mikey
12-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Don't forget the 100 proof lereux peppermint for the hot chocolate.

The Dad Fisherman
12-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Hot Apple Cider w/ a shot of the Captain.....thats livin. :drool:

saltfly
12-18-2008, 05:59 PM
The tin jon boat"jaws" went into the rack today.That means snow.Hopefully the ice is only about 3 weeks away:claps:.one thing not mentioned is foot gear;stabl-icers,korkers,creepers,etc.When there's no pak-snow on the ice i've seen concussions,fractured elbows,and wrists.A fun day ruined real fast.

BMEUPSCOTTY
12-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Plenty of advice here Patrick so I wont add on, but when you do get geared up and we get some ice give me a call, I'd love to do a little ice fishin with ya. To me ice fishing is a relaxing and social endeavor. Set up your tip-ups and then its just about the creature comforts. Nothing like cooking up some venison and enjoying some fine coffee on a sunny 35ish degree windless winter day on the ice. Oh, I almost forgot, one safety item I didn't see mentioned is a pair of hand-held spikes for dragging your ass out of the water back onto the ice. I have a pair my father made, basically two L shaped pieces of wood with metal spikes out of one end. They mate together and have a lanyard which I wear around my neck.

FishermanTim
12-18-2008, 06:30 PM
I have hand spikes that have a retractable sheath over the nails.
I ALWAYS bring creepers, just in case.
I can't tell you how many times I've started to slip and had only a portion of one creeper grab ice and hold.

numbskull
12-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Oh, I almost forgot, one safety item I didn't see mentioned is a pair of hand-held spikes for dragging your ass out of the water back onto the ice. I have a pair my father made, basically two L shaped pieces of wood with metal spikes out of one end. They mate together and have a lanyard which I wear around my neck.

I'll second that :agree:. I went through the ice once playing pond hockey as an adult with only my young sons and a few of their friends around. Very helpless and scary experience. You are not getting out without picks unless you are very lucky.

striperman36
12-18-2008, 08:02 PM
First stop is the market for sausage
Second stop is the Packy for refreshment
third stop is the box store for propane
fourth stop is the b&t for bait
fifth stop is more gas for the auger
sixth stop is were are too drunk and full to fish.

RickBomba
12-18-2008, 08:26 PM
I agree with the spikes and always wear me korkers. Find a buddy with a gas powered auger...spent enough time splitting wood as a kid, don't need to prove to anybody that I'm a tough guy chipping ice.
Buddies on ice with you, always a must.
I agree with the change of clothes, me and Mikey had a buddy who went through 16" of safe ice one day (stay away from the reeds!)
Tip ups are as much as you make'm.
Good shiners a must.
Grab a jiggin rod.
State license, you know you'll use it later in the year, any way.
Crazy bald brother (he has the power auger).
Cajoling fat man fishing buddy (he brings the eats)
Patience, motel room close, in case you want to make my brother's signature cocktail dreamed up at Cutty (the Captain Gay)...Cap'n and gatorade...he still says thanks Kevin!
Have fun, don't fall in. Heck, why don't you join the Bomba Bros Ice Fishing Tourney, while you're at it!
Later,
Rick

JohnR
12-18-2008, 08:51 PM
How much is a "non-resident" m%$%$%$%$%$%$%$ fishing license anyway? Guess I need to get one now. Suppose I won't get a break for paying all those years of Mass taxes, eh?

saltfly
12-18-2008, 09:48 PM
How much is a "non-resident" m%$%$%$%$%$%$%$ fishing license anyway? Guess I need to get one now. Suppose I won't get a break for paying all those years of Mass taxes, eh?Non-Res. is $37.50 yrly.

The Dad Fisherman
12-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Thats not Bad....costs me $50 in NH for outta state

jeffsod
12-20-2008, 10:30 AM
I spend a lot of time on the ice in the winter and no matter what you are doing a set of "picks" the most important thing to have on your person before setting foot out onto any frozen body of water.

They sell a commercially available set of picks (Walmart has them I think) that have bright orange handles.

Or you can make them. The simplest set can be a couple of screw drivers with holes drilled in the handles for a line or cord to attach them together. The other way to make a set is to take a decent diameter dowel say half inch and cut two 5 inch pieces and drill holes straight up into the ends. Take a couple of good strong nails and set them in the holes using 5 minute epoxy. Then cut the heads off and sharpen the ends to a point. Again always best to drill holes in the end and add a cord to keep them together.

Guys I know who have made this latter style will drill another hole next to the shaft of the nail so you can put the two ends together fitted like a puzzle so the sharp points are not exposed. The will then wear them around their necks so they are ready in case of emergency.

A set of creepers or spikes is an absolute necessity on new black ice. If someone goes thru you will be help less to pull them out without them. One of the better brands is Stabilicers which you can find thru LL Bean, Cabelas and Sports Authority for around $49.00. Just make sure you get them sized large enough to fit over winter boots.

Last but simple piece of safety gear would be a whistle. Sound can carry across a pond and a whistle creates the most noise for the amount of energy expended. I keep on on the cord for the picks.

So while the fishing gear is important I guess what I am saying is don't overlook the safety gear.

Remember there is always thin ice somewhere!

Here is a more adavanced set of homemade picks-

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j67/jeffsod/Iceboating/IceboatingPicksB.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j67/jeffsod/Iceboating/IceboatingPicksC.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j67/jeffsod/Iceboating/IceboatingPicksC-1.jpg

BillM
12-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Hey those things are cool looking.I think I feel a little woodworking project coming on:claps:

Gary
12-20-2008, 09:51 PM
I like to keep my priorities strait, I refer to it as Ice Drinking. :cheers2: I also agree that one does not go out on the Ice alone. I have fallen thru and it is cold.... This is coming from someone who has done marine construction and shellfished in the winter to put food on the table. As soon as there is safe ice Ill be out there and anyone that wants to head to the mid cape area is welcome to come along. nothing like hot cup of joe and fresh perch or trout fried on a coleman stove.

BTW the sled is nice, but the canlal cruiser with old tires and pop rivets thru them if much faster, and after a bit of blackberry brandy provides lots of entertainment.:jester:

stiff tip
12-21-2008, 05:21 AM
pat ......dont do it , it sucks u stand there freezing u ass off , the fish never bite , cost way too much for bait , the gear n tilts wicker basket , jet sled for bait fishing.......... all you need is a home made ice cutter plus snowsuit and pac boots.... a good jigger stick and a group of friends to fish with ...it helps wish the winter away .... its all about waiting for spring...

stiff tip
12-21-2008, 05:29 AM
obtw ......pat ....if you go through..u loose........f--k the ice picks.....2 inchs of black ice will hold a man and 4 inchs will hold a horse.

The Dad Fisherman
12-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Best Part...No Such Thing as a $700 Tip-up...:hee:

RickBomba
12-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Thank God for that!
I do feel that I get nickled and dimed to death, though!
Kevin, I can't believe that you didn't pick up on the Cap'n Gay reference!!!

And JR, you can get a non-resident three day for $23.50 I think! Ice be lookin good for the tourney!

Later,
Rick

cow tamer
12-22-2008, 08:24 AM
I now wear a life vest. Having partially fallen through, in 20 ft of cold water, has taught me to be extra careful.

The Dad Fisherman
12-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Kevin, I can't believe that you didn't pick up on the Cap'n Gay reference!!!

Its Christmas......I'm being Nice :hee:

Flaptail
12-22-2008, 10:11 AM
It was an ice fishing trip to Herring Pond in Eastham some 20 years ago that Capn' Cupcake AKA Stifftip aka Dave LaPorte got his nickname.

A bunch of us were out there fishing trout on 6 inches of black ice with 6 inches of fresh powder on top when a gentleman we new from the Worcester area who was fishing near us but not with us came over with a fifth of Rumplemintz with the seal unbroken. It was midday and he sauntered up with the bottle in hand and asked if anyone wanted a taste. Stiffy takes the bottle, tears of the seal and uncrews the cap and throws it down a tip up hole and says "I'll show you how to drink that" to which the gentleman who brought over the bottle says, "I'm game if you are Cupcake".

Several of our little gang imbibed and at the end of the day, after picking up Stiffy and Dave K's tilts and such we went out with my ice sled and loaded them one at a time into it and dragged thier drunken carcases off of the ice as the could not stand up anymore without assistance. When I got home I had to chip frozen puke off of my trucks passenger door. It wasn't Stiffy's puke but anothers.

What a memorable day whatching the human condition deteriorate over the course of two hours from thinking thought processing human beings to slobbering incoherent useless piles of flesh.

That's how ice fishing was back then.:uhuh:

Rob Rockcrawler
12-22-2008, 11:12 AM
I dont do much ice fishing anymore. Im sorta lozy and really enjoy being warm. If i do it, i set the tilts go inside and watch for flags by the fire. When i lived in michigan we ice fished all the time. Tilts, jiggin sticks, the usual stuff. The most helpful piece of equipment i used on unfamiliar bodies of water was a portable fish finder. All you need is a skim of water on the ice and the transducer works just fine. I looked for quick changes in water depth, and if i happened to find structure all the better. Ice fishing is the only time i would chase fish on the fishfinder. If there was a school of fish milling around i would drop a jig with a waxworm on it and clean up on panfish. It was important on lake huron. You can go a mile out and be in 4 feet of water with 3 feet of ice. Not a lot of action.