View Full Version : Braid, and reel size

Isambard_Sypher
12-19-2008, 10:56 AM
If I surfcast with braided line can I get away with using a smaller spinning reel? Currently I'm using a dirt cheap Daiwa Opus, but I'd like to buy a Penn Spinfisher for next season. Should I just buy the Penn in the size appropriate to the monofilament I'm currently using (20 lbs)?

JohnR
12-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Smaller reel might buy you some capacity with a thinner line but it will also have less drag and fish fight ability than a larger reel. Also, while lighter tackle is considered by many to be more "sporting" and fun, heavier tackle will get a bigger fish in faster and with less chance of losing. That faster fight means that fish can be turned around and released quicker with less possible harm.... Also keep in mind, you would really be bleepin' in your pants if you hooked into a Real Big Fish and lost it due to inadequate gear

sean curry
12-20-2008, 06:16 AM
Isambard,

What size rod will you be using? You want to match the reel to the size of the rod. I am mostly a conventional guy, but have the 710, 704, and 706 on 8', 9', and 10' rods. The Spinfishers are good reels, strong and easy to repair and clean. Fireline works well for me with these reels.

fcap60
12-20-2008, 06:37 AM
Isambard:

Generally, I agree that using braid line allows you to scale down in reel size. (the reason being that you don't need the larger reels (with larger spools to hold monofilament line).

the next issue becomes matching your reel and rod to the type of fishing you expect to do (e.g. lures for albacore, bass and bluefish or fishing bait for blackfish ?).

If you can provide that information, I think you will receive more helpful inputs.

Isambard_Sypher
12-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Hey guys, I have a 10' Tsunami rod, and I'm doing mainly south shore (Long Island) surf casting for Stripers, and Blues. Both inlet, and open surf. After looking at the reels again I should probably go for the 750 or 850. Or go whole hog for the 950? Basically, I want a good versatile reel that will last me a long time, like my father's old Abu 7000.

shadow
12-20-2008, 11:57 AM
slow down there, you don't need anything bigger then a 7500,I my self wouldn't go bigger then a 6500.That being said what I would really do is look for an old 704 or 706 put plenty of mono backing on there and then your braid.

Isambard_Sypher
12-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Those are the green reels right? is there any advantage to owning that reel over the new spinfisher?

Pete F.
12-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Look around for a 704, cut the bail off and put 20# Fireline on it. Don't overfill it. The best thing about them is you can undo three screws and add some oil. You don't have to take the whole reel apart. They don't have a ton of ball bearings but you don't need them.

sean curry
12-22-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm with Pete,

The 704/706 reels are built to last. The 704 has 1ball bearing, the 706 has 2. They are both strong reels that will last a long time if you take care of them. By the way, your Dad's Ambassadeur 7000 had no ball bearings, just bushings. I fish with 3 of the old red versions. They are very smooth reels that cast just about as well as my newer 7000CL Big Game with 3 ball bearings.

The 704/706 are very smooth reels, they get smoother when they break in.

sean

shadow
12-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Those are the green reels right? is there any advantage to owning that reel over the new spinfisher?
not all of them are green just the older ones,most are black.The 704/706 are much more simple then the spinfisher and will last you much longer and you will have less problems.

Tman1
12-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Isambard- if you want one of the reels you mention go with a 650 series reel if you will be plugging. The others are way too heavy except for bait fishing.

Others here are recommending a penn 704/704Z or 706/706Z (Penn Spinfisher) these were great reels in their day and can usually be purchased used on some action sites. If you go this route the reel (with care) should last a long time).

Good luck!