View Full Version : Plugfest 2009 entertainment/demos

ThrowingTimber
12-19-2008, 01:27 PM
What do you want to see demonstrations of?

Lets hear what you want to see and we'll see what we can rationally do to make it happen.

eastendlu
12-19-2008, 01:33 PM
l Love the painting and offsett turning demos also salty's tail wire tying demo and cannot forget stripercrazys dipping demo.:claps:

johnny ducketts
12-19-2008, 02:14 PM
I liked bigfish's painting demo last year, maybe we can bring primed blanks with us and each take take turns with an airbrush or something, for the guys who have never used one before

ThrowingTimber
12-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Ok so maybe a bit more interactive with the painting then? Get a few guys who want to airbrush and have them bring primed blanks and paint something simple like a yellow over white. To get their feet wet? Tough with the equipt. and necessary ventilation etc. But I'll check with John and Slip etc and see what we can do.

eastendlu
12-19-2008, 03:49 PM
I can probably supply the spraybooth Vic.

striperman36
12-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Flaptails collection on display

ProfessorM
12-19-2008, 04:21 PM
strippers?

eastendlu
12-19-2008, 04:45 PM
strippers?

LOL could always hold it a the bada bing club.

johnny ducketts
12-19-2008, 06:59 PM
or golden banna

good2hook
12-19-2008, 09:19 PM
strippers?let me know ahead of time, so i don't bring the wife:btu:

Flaptail
12-20-2008, 10:09 AM
I think Numbskull plays the accordion and washboard.

ThrowingTimber
12-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Alright for sure we'll ask a few of the guys if they would display their collections for us. I know Flap, Adam R., vb, CapeSams and a few of the other guys have some killer collections. It would be cool to see what they would be willing to put on display.

Turning demonstration: I know about 4-5 yrs ago at slips, Cape Sam just hopped on a lathe and whipped out one of his paper templates that had all the necessary dimensions for I believe a norris squid. It wasnt a demonstration per-se but I personally learned a TON just from watching him do that. I think if he would be willing to do something along those lines it would be fantastic!

Maybe getting some of the folks with those fantastic collections to give a sort of intro. to collecting talk or how they got into collecting etc, what to look for what to stay away from?

I know Salty did a tail loop demo if he's up for doing something along those lines I know its very helpful.

Previous years Salty did a dress tail tying demo would folks like to see something like that?

I was thinking maybe we can give the sponsors a moment to speak about anything new they've got coming down the pipe, or some just in general plug talk.

Also I was thinking that since we're all going to be at one place I was wondering strictly voluntary if anyone would be interested in gathering up some lures to donate to the Fishing academy, with the msba show coming up and the risaa show coming up I know they put together raffle baskets I think it would a good chance to help out.

I know PNG did an awesome demo on turning off center maybe he'd be willing to give a talk and demo about that.

Keep the suggestions coming guys!!

striperman36
12-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Demos Demos

ThrowingTimber
12-20-2008, 11:42 AM
specific specific

Full sentences help.:hihi:

eastendlu
12-20-2008, 12:06 PM
I missed Numbskulls carving demo 2 years ago would like to see that happen again as i am attempting it this year.

Dad 818
12-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Perhaps a thru-drilling demo? Maybe tough unless there is a place for a vise, but thought I'd throw it out there.

good2hook
12-21-2008, 10:48 AM
tail loop demo, i can never get that right.:fury:
how to secure the lip.
explaining the different lip sizes
how to dress up a treble or siwash hook with buck-tail
how to correctly applying devcon for us beginners. Bill, can do that one.:)

I'd behappy with any demo, I learned alot last year.

Backbeach Jake
12-21-2008, 11:20 AM
I keep missing the off-center turning demo. If it can be done again,please...

Dad 818
12-21-2008, 12:27 PM
tail loop demo, i can never get that right.:fury:
how to secure the lip.
explaining the different lip sizes
how to dress up a treble or siwash hook with buck-tail
how to correctly applying devcon for us beginners. Bill, can do that one.:)

I'd behappy with any demo, I learned alot last year.

Lip sizes tutorial would be awesome.

ProfessorM
12-21-2008, 07:51 PM

at the same time? i have to see that

redneck24
12-21-2008, 08:08 PM
I missed Numbskulls carving demo 2 years ago would like to see that happen again as i am attempting it this year.

carving demo would be great

outnumbered
12-21-2008, 10:29 PM

As long as there isn't anyone playing bangos they make me nervous.

The Dad Fisherman
12-22-2008, 08:53 AM
As long as there isn't anyone playing bangos they make me nervous.

ask my Son what the number one thing to remember when your camping....."If you hear banjo music...RUN!!"

How about something basic , Like Wood types and there properties and Uses.

"Trick Tools of the Trade" Everybody knows the basics lathe, Drill, Bandsaw.....but maybe something on the gadgets or modifications that guys have made that make the little tasks easier

eastendlu
12-22-2008, 09:30 AM
ask my Son what the number one thing to remember when your camping....."If you hear banjo music...RUN!!"

How about something basic , Like Wood types and there properties and Uses.

"Trick Tools of the Trade" Everybody knows the basics lathe, Drill, Bandsaw.....but maybe something on the gadgets or modifications that guys have made that make the little tasks easier

The first rule of Fight Club is, you do not talk about Fight Club.
Gadgets we don't need no stinking gadgets.
Never heard of any such type of tools.:fishslap:

The Dad Fisherman
12-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Uh-oh......I think I'm about to get cast into the Pit of Despair.

pbadad
12-22-2008, 08:23 PM
How bout demoing how to get started in using a duplicator. How to start the piece from square , then setting up to the finish product. Also maybe seeing a homemade duplicator and explaining in laymans language how to make one.

Diggin Jiggin
12-23-2008, 08:41 PM
I like seeing what kinds of jigs guys are using to make things easier and consistant. I think Mike had a few last year he used on his big drill press. . Rockfish9 just posted a picture on a darter thread that showed a real nice one for cutting darter slopes on a bandsaw that would be nice to see in action...

Flaptail
01-06-2009, 06:46 AM
Even though it is plastic we should have Stifftip do a demo on loading and modifying Cotton Cordell pencils. A lot of people are using them and he has it down to a science. They are plugs afterall.

Swimmer
01-06-2009, 12:34 PM
I liked bigfish's painting demo last year, maybe we can bring primed blanks with us and each take take turns with an airbrush or something, for the guys who have never used one before

I love the above idea, good one JD

Raven
01-06-2009, 12:44 PM
i am 5-11 feet tall... well probably shorter now that gravity
has compressed my spine over that last 40 years..:af:

my point is...at some of the demonstrations all i see is the back of the taller guys heads and hear the demo more than see the demo...

No way to correct that unless there is either a raised deck stage or the people viewing it are all seated :cputin:

VTBasser
01-06-2009, 11:10 PM
I like seeing what kinds of jigs guys are using to make things easier and consistant. I think Mike had a few last year he used on his big drill press. . Rockfish9 just posted a picture on a darter thread that showed a real nice one for cutting darter slopes on a bandsaw that would be nice to see in action...

I second the motion to see any jigs folks have.

Hoping to make it there and meet everyone that has been so helpful. I am planning to bring a couple of thing I use for show and tell.

ProfessorM
01-07-2009, 11:47 AM
I'll throw the homemade dup in my truck and a fixture or 2.

mikecc
01-07-2009, 11:54 AM

I'll bring my jigs to show you

wahlie
02-09-2009, 07:53 PM
I think that jigs are a great idea as well. Mike CC brought a few last year. Proff. M had some goodies as well

Slipknot
02-15-2009, 02:19 PM
OK, who's gonna step up and demonstrate something?
I 've read in many threads where people have offered and would like to see it all on one thread so we can organize some kind of schedule of events with times etc.

I can bring my lathe and demo thru drilling with the lathe and demo my simple duplicator.

Anyone else?
anyone bring a paint booth?

mikecc
02-15-2009, 05:17 PM
anyone bring a paint booth?

I can bring the paint booth , compressor. and a drill press . Each person to paint should bring his own Air Brush.
I can show how to make the drilling jigs.

redneck24
02-15-2009, 06:30 PM
what do you need done? ill help if you need something.

mikecc
02-15-2009, 06:43 PM
I am also bringing a dust collector

JohnR
02-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Captain Cupcake is in for loading plastic swimmahs :fishin:

Slipknot
02-15-2009, 09:21 PM
what do you need done? ill help if you need something.

Thanks, bring your chisels and you can spin some wood since Mike is gonna bring a dust collector, we can hook it up to my lathe.

Didn't someone say they could tie some jigs or something?

mikecc
02-15-2009, 10:21 PM
:wavey:

Dad 818
02-16-2009, 10:08 AM
I can bring my small compressor as well if needed.

ProfessorM
02-16-2009, 08:38 PM
I can demonstrate the fine are of procrastination. I have a doctorate in it, hence the Professor title.

outnumbered
02-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Jigs are definately a great idea and hopefully PNG can do his off center demo again.

chumbucket
02-18-2009, 12:09 AM
I think that jigs are a great idea as well. Mike CC brought a few last year. Proff. M had some goodies as well

I hope VB brings his Eelskin jig collection again. Definitely something to see the great history and variety of a Canal favorite.

chumbucket
02-18-2009, 12:23 AM
I can demonstrate the fine are of procrastination. I have a doctorate in it, hence the Professor title.

If you have a Doctorate, I am the Einstein of Procrastination.

ProfessorM
02-18-2009, 02:52 PM
LOL. Yes Matt you may be just a wee bit ahead of me but your stuff is worth waiting for.

eastendlu
02-18-2009, 03:14 PM

LOL. Yes Matt you may be just a wee bit ahead of me but your stuff is worth waiting for.

I am your best student as i am learning from the masters.

eastendlu
02-18-2009, 03:16 PM

I am your best student as i am learning from the masters.

ProfessorM
02-18-2009, 03:20 PM
get to work

PatrickD
02-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Chum is such a procrastinator that he is considering not coming to Plugfest till Sunday:rotf3:

Digger

NIB
02-18-2009, 04:20 PM

I have ya's both beat..big time..and my work looks like a frogsass in comparison.
I can do a demonstration on smoking ciggarettes..and eating ones self out of any size pants he owns..
Seriously though I can bring a box with some stuff to show how to tie NIB jigs..
If I have to,I would rather not though.
NIB is lazy..

Slipknot
02-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Tony, I have plans for you behind the lathe, so brush up

steelhead
02-18-2009, 06:14 PM
I've brought my tying stuff along before and done both formal and informal demos. I'd be happy to do it again. One time, I tied up a special tail for Tagger for a huge pikie he had brought along. Bucktail, splayed rooster cape feathers, flatwing, spun deerhair, etc.... All can be done and used for different effects and purposes on treble or saiwash hooks. Tell me what you'd like to see....

NIB
02-18-2009, 07:41 PM
What do my toofuses have to do with turning..I haven't turned my lathe on in months.If everyone signs a waiver I'll do it.I need a gouge for the rough out and a skew 3/4 or 1 " I'm not sure the big flat one.

PNG
02-18-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm in

ProfessorM
02-19-2009, 11:17 AM

bring your catchers mask too