View Full Version : Dell or HP?

rwilhelm
12-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Thinking about getting a new computer and I have narrowed it down to a dell or hp. Would like to hear your on opinions on which brand you think is better.

stcroixman
12-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Dell is the best. I have bought 3 and I am on my 8 year old pc right now. Every business I go to uses Dell. Every laptop I see kids with is dell. Toshiba is a great laptop if you want a Van $taal. I use Daiwa (Dell)

JohnnyD
12-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Dell isn't that bad. However, they are not the same company they were 5 years ago. When they first came to the scene, they were incredible. Individually made, easy to get almost the exact system you want for a very reasonable price. In my research and experience (I own a company that rents audio, video and computer equipment), Dell has gone downhill quickly. They do not have nearly the same quality as they used to.

Fortunately for Dell, they did a very good job in their early days with quality and marketing as the easiest and most reliable company. The average consumer still thinks as such, which is why you still see everyone with one.

I assume when you say "computer" you're talking about a desktop, if so, I'd suggest looking into building your own computer. With a little research, it's extremely easy and you can typically get a much better machine for the same price as a Dell or HP.

rwilhelm
12-23-2008, 08:38 AM
Yes I am going to buy a desktop. I am not computer savy enough to build my own. I have put in extra ram and a dvd burner but to start from scratch would be too involved for me.

Swimmer
12-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Dell takes back computors for warranty problems and then resells them as new. HP, IBM, and a couple of others don not.

Swimmer
12-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Just bought an HP and I am please with it so far.

JohnnyD
12-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Yes I am going to buy a desktop. I am not computer savy enough to build my own. I have put in extra ram and a dvd burner but to start from scratch would be too involved for me.

Before I built my first, that's all the experience I had. It's really just a matter of turning a few screws and plugging in a few wires. You also get the benefit of not having all that pre-installed garbage that manufactures put on there.

But if you want to buy a manufactured desktop, I'd say go with the HP.

rwilhelm
12-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone.

JohnR
12-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Tossup - Dell does not sell its returns as new - they are in the outlet... Same with HP