View Full Version : When did it happen?

FishermanTim
12-19-2008, 05:58 PM
When did we, as a state, become a bunch of wussies?
A storm is forecast to start "around" noon (actually closer to 2:00pm) and the schools are closed for the day, the state tells all "non-essential" employees to stay home, yet the rest of us still have to show up for work!

Hell, I'd love to have a job that gives you PAID days off for flurries, heatwaves and very obscure holidays on top of your vacation.
I know this may be a dramatization, but when you hear the announcements on the tv and radio, it tends to get to you.

(Unfortunately, teachers don't qualify, because snow days are "no pay" days for them.)

Sorry for the rant, but after seeing plenty of co-workers having to scramble to take care of their kids, it just got to me.

I need to go ice fishing!

The Dad Fisherman
12-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Sorry for the rant, but after seeing plenty of co-workers having to scramble to take care of their kids, it just got to me.

Because if one of those kids gets hurt because they fell in the snow.....its in the news and the school gets sued......Sad, But true

can't blame them for wanting to get rid of the little liabilities as soon as they can.

It ain't the state that created the "Wussies".........its the people that run to the lawyers because somebody didn't wipe little johnny's arse just right and he got a rash.

leo33
12-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Because if one of those kids gets hurt because they fell in the snow.....its in the news and the school gets sued......Sad, But true

can't blame them for wanting to get rid of the little liabilities as soon as they can.

It ain't the state that created the "Wussies".........its the people that run to the lawyers because somebody didn't wipe little johnny's arse just right and he got a rash.

that pretty much sums it all up.:claps:

spence
12-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Imagine if, god forbid, the storm actually did hit during the afternoon commute.

Workers released early would choke the already congested roadways causing instant gridlock. Busses full of children would be stranded. Emergency services would be unable to move.

Wasn't this like just last year???

The schools and government workers are the only thing the State can really control without declaring a state of emergency, and it's probably less disruptive to call it off rather than have a mad scramble at noon.

Considering that at 2:30pm cars were unable to drive up the streets in my own neighborhood, It would seem that staying off the roads was a good idea.

Does it suck for the working stiff with kids in day care? Sure, but hopefully people can deal. It just may be that we're all better off in the end...

-spence

The Dad Fisherman
12-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Also remember that for every parent scrambling to pick up a kid theres another parent that is bitching because they haven't released there kids yet....schools can't win...there always a parent bitching no matter what they do.

Slipknot
12-19-2008, 06:20 PM
part of the wussification of America I guess

it sucks and is rediculous I agree

better brush up on your Chinese soon, won't be long if we as a country just sit back and let it happen

Backbeach Jake
12-20-2008, 07:33 AM
Better brush up on your Canadian, eh, those guys know what Winters aboot, dontchaknow.

BigFish
12-20-2008, 10:34 AM
I love how the media has to "NAME" every friggin storm! "BLIZZARD OF 08":doh:

The Dad Fisherman
12-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Well last year we had the BIG DISSAPPOINTMENT '07, BIG MISSED FORECAST '07, and the memorable BIG BLOWN CALL '07

afterhours
12-20-2008, 01:18 PM
or the april fools day storm a while ago...... 10" and the state's ready to call fema :doh:.

stcroixman
12-20-2008, 02:39 PM
the best thing is this is only storm#1, the media is in midseason form already

Backbeach Jake
12-20-2008, 10:49 PM
or the april fools day storm a while ago...... 10" and the state's ready to call fema :doh:.

we got nearly a yard of snow here. I'd shovel and the plow would block the drive way again. After the 6th or 7th time I said to hell with it, call in, and walked to the Packy.