View Full Version : I hate snow now

Saltheart
12-20-2008, 11:28 AM
There was a time when I loved snow. I would get up early and walk around CF looking for shoveling jobs. Then when all that wound down it was off for sledding , snowball fights , etc. I remember some of the best sliding was on cardboard sheets and cafeteria trays. I had a sled but as I got older the sled was too small and the cardboard was way faster! I skied until I was 45 years old. The more snow the better and there was no kind we couldn't ski. From fresh snow to packed powder to icy as it gets we would scream down the steepest slopes.

Now fats forward to the last ten years. The only thiongs I do with snow are a PITA. Shovel snow. Brush off the cars. Drive slower. No place to park. Wet , dirty feet. I mean there just seems to be no good use for snow once you get a little older.

I will say that I still enjoy the beautiful landscapes you can see when it snows. An think as hard as I can , nice scenery is about the only thing good I can come up with now when I think about snow.

Anybody else at that stage in life where you have no use for snow at all?

spence
12-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Took about two hours to dig out the cars and clear the walks. I found it relaxing and good exercise.

-spence

ThomCat
12-20-2008, 11:41 AM
:whackin: :fury: :cens: :eyes: Can't suck enough!!!!!!!! :crying: :yak: :skulz: :hidin: :hang:

Swimmer
12-20-2008, 11:45 AM
My wife just called me at work and said my across the street neighbor is snowblowing our driveway. The guy is so quiet and only speaks about three times a year and he is clearing my driveway. That is so nice.

I hope he doesn't think I am taking him fishing...........

joe the plumber
12-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Took about two hours to dig out the cars and clear the walks. I found it relaxing and good exercise.

-spence

Thats a good attitude.Took me 5 hours,just finished.Yes,as I grow older the snow does irritate a little more.I try to use Spences attitude.Now if this winter pans out the way I think it is,I'll see if I still have that attitude in March......

Pete F.
12-20-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm ready to move to Florida for the winter.

redcrbbr
12-20-2008, 12:53 PM
it does keep beer at perfect operating temperature

ThomCat
12-20-2008, 01:19 PM

:btu:Ahhhhhhhhhhh, the silver lining within the dark cloud. Bottoms up, CrabGuy!!:cheers::rotflmao:

joe the plumber
12-20-2008, 01:27 PM
I just cracked open a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. Ahaaa.....

Slingah
12-20-2008, 01:58 PM
hate it, hate it, hate it.....Im ready for Florida winters too....

good2hook
12-20-2008, 02:18 PM
It's a love hate relationship for me.
loved it when i was a kid.
hated it when i was old enough to shovel.
Loved it again when my daughter was young, and now that my son is 5.
Hated it this morning, when i had to clear the driveway and walkway.
Gonna love it in a little bit when i take g2h jr outside to build a snow man. He wants me to teach him how to make a snow ball:btu:
love that little guy.

Gunpowder
12-20-2008, 03:04 PM
need snow to ski.... love it

Saltheart
12-20-2008, 03:13 PM

:agree::cheers:

ProfessorM
12-20-2008, 04:25 PM
I had to change the friggin drive belt on the blower with only half the drive done. 20 mile drive for part. Friggin fingers are frozen. Has snowed all day long here. I hate snow and have for the last 20 years.

numbskull
12-20-2008, 04:30 PM
The guy is so quiet and only speaks about three times a year and he is clearing my driveway. That is so nice.

I hope he doesn't think I am taking him fishing...........

LOL! So true. :claps:

Tagger
12-20-2008, 04:45 PM
I like the winter ,,, kills all the bugs .. I love snow north of the NH border . Its fun up there . I was on the road to Waltham 5:00 am today . No Sweat .. plows did a good job ... just tough passing them .

JamesJet
12-20-2008, 05:01 PM
I am in hate the snow phase right now. My son is only 4 months old so no playing in the snow for him this year, just work for me. On a positive note my lab tired himself out romping around this morning in it which makes for an easier day around the house.

l.i.fish.in.vt
12-20-2008, 06:23 PM
as some one who loves to ski as much as i do fish,i gotta say when my skiing days are over it is off to Florida for me.at 54 i hope that is not for at least anothe 20 years.nothing like 18 inchs of powder with a 6degree air temp.

Gary
12-20-2008, 10:06 PM

10-4

And it is less inpact on the environment not having to use the fridge:jump1:

Backbeach Jake
12-20-2008, 10:31 PM
It could be a lot worse. I just got off the phone with my SIL in Mason NH. They are on day 10 without power. No well water, fireplace heat.
To be honest, this snow storm didn't seem as bad to shovel as some in the past have been. I don't feel dead after doing the walk and driveway. Either I've become numb to it all or my general health has improved.

macojoe
12-21-2008, 12:07 AM
Hate it!!! Use to love it, but now that I am older I hate it!

Ran snow blower at work for 5 hours, then went home for 3 hours and had to shovel cause i to poor for a snow blower of my own!!
Something wrong with this picture!!

I going to look for a crap plow so i can make 4 passes when it snows and take it off.

FishermanTim
12-22-2008, 11:45 AM
I think EVERYONE hates the shoveling aspect, myself included.
I can't speak for everyone, but there are some aspects that are peaceful and refreshing.
1.) Sound is muffled by snow, so going for a walk in the snow (properly dressed of course) and the only things you hear are your footsteps, your own breathing and any wildlife in the area.
2.) For thise with kids, just simple playing in the snow. Build a snowman, or snow fort, sled down a hill and tell me you didn't have even a little fun.

I understand that winter isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if you can find just one thing to enjoy, it isn't a total disaster.

I used to hate winter because as a kid, there "wasn't anything to do".
Then I learned to ski. That opened up plenty of chances to go and have fun. I skied an Mount Sutton, Quebec some years ago, with temps at the base @ 17 below, and 50 below at the summit. Only the diehard skiers bothered to hit the slopes, and I was one of them. No frostbite, but man, was it fun to have most of the trails wide open.

Then I moved on to snowboarding, due to my knees. I picked that up REAL quick. The added bonus was that as a former skier, I knew what not to do on the trails (like scrape the snow off by slide-craping down the hill). I wasn't a speed demon, or a jumping finatic, but the only trails I would no attempt were moguls (knees). double and triple black diamond trails just meant less traffic. If for nothing else, my skiing and boarding had taught me to trust in my abilities, both on and off the slopes. To this day I still know my abilities and my limitations (and we all gwet along fine).

Now I enjoy ice fishing. It also includes a love/hate relationship with snow. I love that it can give you traction when walking, but it's tiring and will also insulate the ice, which hampens the forming of ice on lakes and ponds.

So, if you can find something about winter that you like, it may not be so bad after all.

As long as we can skip those miserable ice storms.
I don't think ANYONE like those.

bassballer
12-22-2008, 11:47 AM
as some one who loves to ski as much as i do fish,i gotta say when my skiing days are over it is off to Florida for me.at 54 i hope that is not for at least anothe 20 years.nothing like 18 inchs of powder with a 6degree air temp.

Cant agree with you more. Im as addicted to snowboarding as much as I am fishing. I woke up sat morning to 10" of fresh powder and headed to the mountain. Big Pow runs all day. Nothing better than a big northeast DUMPING!

JFigliuolo
12-22-2008, 07:36 PM
I loved it as a kid... lived up north, skied 2-3x a week. Haven't gone in over 10 years. Too damned expensive. F'ng rich people ruin everthing...

Spent saturday afternoon in the woods. fresh snow, 20 degrees. Dog at my side (okay about 100 yds in front of me). It was beautiful out there. I still love the snow.

likwid
12-22-2008, 07:39 PM

I'm headed to Jackson Hole and Silverton this winter.

I know of 70yo's that can slay harder than most 20yo's.

What's Saltheart's excuse? :P

Raven
12-22-2008, 08:12 PM
yep keeps beer cold...

but during this icy cold "five degree " weather

there's one thing i love about it...

clean crisp air and free of any kind of flying bug

no mosquitoes
no ....no see-ums
gnats
especially :point: fruit flies
blue bottle flies (the kind that never land)
no hornets ,yellow jackets,
no deer flies either...

i'll take it :kewl: :gu:

Hooper
12-22-2008, 08:50 PM

-spence

Spence, I like your style!
:kewl:

Myself, I am ready for about two weeks on Captiva, fishing Pine Island Sound in kayak, but call me crazy if you must.

Until then, I'll take a cue from Spence and practice the power of positive thinking!:hihi:

WESTPORTMAFIA
12-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Snow is GREAT. The smell of 2 stroke does something for me. The Sleds starting for the 1st time. The dogs making their first steps in the AM. The Jiffy Auger getting primed for 1st freeze. If you hate the winter in New England rent snowmobiles and drive 3 hours into the middle of nowhere and hang out for 1 hour. The peace and respect for mother nature becomes very real. I love what NE does for me every year. Let it SNOW!!!!!!!

CaptMike
12-23-2008, 01:16 AM
I have no use for snow or cold.

jimmy z
12-23-2008, 04:57 AM
Sort of. But I have all of those fine memories, of the years gone by. :kewl:

The Dad Fisherman
12-23-2008, 08:06 AM
Hate It, Got No Use for It.......perfect winter is one snow-fall of 3" on X-Mas day followed by a 50 Degree day after X-mas.

HESH2
12-23-2008, 08:11 AM
wishing my son wins the lottery then i can be looking at palm trees.

JoeBass
12-24-2008, 09:11 AM

Hey Vermont...I'm 49 and still snowboarding. Live in Burlington. I have to admit, I like fishing better...Throwing a fly on the Winoski or a panther martin on Lewis Creek...or a fly for Stripers in Maine (or Chunk or Plugs). But everytime I hit the mountain I'm soooo glad I did.

gone fishin
12-24-2008, 02:19 PM
The aftermath of snow sucks big time - gutter frozen solid and the water is backing up into the house. Ice Dam DAM! And all this on Christmas Eve.:(

likwid
12-29-2008, 02:20 PM
for those that ski...

4 inbounds slides at Jackson Hole today.
First one they shut down the mountain after (Headwall ripped taking out the dining area at the mid mountain lodge)

Laramie Cheyenne and Casper all ripped after the mountain was closed.

ProfessorM
12-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Hey Don I cleaned the gutters today of left over leaves for the next storms this week. . I had same problem but no water in house.