View Full Version : It's not just GM, Ford, and Chrysler

Pete_G
12-20-2008, 12:56 PM
The Big 3 aren't the only ones with issues.

Toyota isn't denying that it might not make a profit this year, Honda has pulled out of F1 Racing, both are laying off thousands of workers, canceling plans for new models, and giving profit warnings. Subaru and Suzuki will no longer participate in the WRC.

Obviously these companies aren't in the same rough shape the Big 3 are, but those names are fixtures in their respective motorsports.

Weird times if you're a car guy. Weird times even if you aren't, actually.

Pete_G
12-20-2008, 12:58 PM
I meant to throw this in The Scuppers, but since it could veer towards the political, this might the right forum anyways. :hee:

BigFish
12-20-2008, 01:43 PM
They are not "American" cars!

basswipe
12-20-2008, 01:46 PM
The Big 3 aren't the only ones with issues.

Toyota isn't denying that it might not make a profit this year, Honda has pulled out of F1 Racing, both are laying off thousands of workers, canceling plans for new models, and giving profit warnings. Subaru and Suzuki will no longer participate in the WRC.

Obviously these companies aren't in the same rough shape the Big 3 are, but those names are fixtures in their respective motorsports.

Weird times if you're a car guy. Weird times even if you aren't, actually.

As someone who's followed Nascar for 30yrs trust me when I say they're very concerned about its future.I know I'm concerned.

How do the "Big 3" justify the millions they put into Nascar racing to the American people,Congress and the new admin when at the same they're closing plants and laying off thousands.They can't and that's what scares me.

striperman36
12-20-2008, 01:57 PM
It is crazy how all of a sudden everything seemed to hit the fan at the same time.
And its not coming back.

Pete_G
12-20-2008, 02:34 PM

No but those companies employee a LOT of Americans. Fairly well too. And they support a lot of related industry.

BMW, Toyota, Honda. Volkswagen is building a giant new plant, they all have big factories here. Even Kia.

Something like 2/3 of "foreign" cars are built in America. Generally not the engineering and not every single part from start to finish but there's an awful lot of people in the South that are employed by foreign car companies.

Whether GM lays off an employee or Toyota lays off an employee the result is the same, it's still an unemployed American.

leo33
12-20-2008, 04:56 PM
It is crazy how all of a sudden everything seemed to hit the fan at the same time.
And its not coming back.

that is the scary part.i think our quality of life will be changed for a while.

Uncle Matt
12-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Toyota's may not be "American" but they sure are "dependable."

buckman
12-22-2008, 06:53 AM
Most companies are not "American" anymore, hell, I was at LL Bean and most of the stuff they sell is from overseas. Old man Bean would be rolling over in his grave. It's a sad, but alot of us work for foreign owned companies. And we all need to work.I try to buy American and have never owned car that wasn't a Chevy or a Ford and I like their cars and trucks. They last just as well as the Toyotas.

GattaFish
12-22-2008, 02:20 PM

Larry,,, They still build cars in the U.S. they have quite a few plants around the United States.... They also make some of their suppliers build plants very close to the plants they will supply parts too,,

So they really do create lots of jobs,,,

likwid
01-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Most "American" cars aren't even made of "American" parts.

Raider Ronnie
01-05-2009, 06:09 PM

Neither are any of the big 3 american cars !!!!

All have LOTS of foreign components !!!

Fishpart
01-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Most "American" cars aren't even made of "American" parts.

Correct, most of the components are Hecho en Mexico thanks NAFTA........................Thousands in Attleboro alone are out of jobs as a result of it and China's Most Favored Nation status being constantly renewed in spite of what we knew about human rights violations...

Believe it or not, what we are experiencing now is a result of the "Clinton Legacy" becoming fully developed.