View Full Version : quabbin

fishinmedic
12-15-2002, 01:36 PM
i am a new massachusetts resident. is quabbin good for smallmouths?

Got Stripers
12-15-2002, 01:44 PM
Go to nesportsmans board and you will get some good feedback, but in short, it's probably got larger smallies in it than anything you could fish in this state. The drawback would be the regulations, launching restrictions, horsepower restrictions etc.

fishinmedic
12-15-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Got Stripers
[B]Go to nesportsmans board and you will get some good feedback, but in short, it's probably got larger smallies in it than anything you could fish in this state. The drawback would be the regulations, launching restrictions, horsepower restrictions etc. [/Bis that a website? i am not familiar with it]

Got Stripers
12-15-2002, 06:34 PM
www.nesportsman.com is a local board

GBOUTDOORS
12-16-2002, 08:04 AM
Welcome to the board fishinmedic. What part of Mass are you from? There are lots of great ponds just over the boarder in N.H. that hold large smallmouth and if you are using a boat you have to go to Lake Winnipasaukee in the spring time. I use to go every spring around the middle of May and always had 100 plus fish days. If you are interested let me know and I will mark up a map of the lake for you that will put you on some great fishing. Hey GS how about you ? I would love to go this spring for a day trip or two. And I have a customer that has a cottage on the lake that he has been begging me to use for the last four years.

fishinmedic
12-16-2002, 09:29 AM
i just moved to worcester from the midwest. i dont own a boat and plan to get a fishn kayak. i thought about trying to find a guide for lake wini...but havent found one. also looking for a small pond nearby to use a kayak for largemouth. i want to find one that doesnt allow outboards.

Got Stripers
12-16-2002, 10:34 AM
GB you could definately talk me into that, if smallies grew as large as stripers, I'd have already moved to Maine...black flies and snow be damned:).

Canalratt1
12-16-2002, 11:08 AM
Near Worchester there is the Wachusett Resivior, it is shore fishing only and has huge smallies in it. As for small kayak ponds there are a ton around just buy a local street map and pick a town and look for ponds.

Jenn
12-16-2002, 12:25 PM
its been so long since I have fished quabbin...but I do remeber it sure was FUN!!!!;) found this nice little nook with a STEEP drop right from shore WHAM! WHAM WHAM..........fun fun fun....dang it I will have to get back there this year....:smash:

alr
12-16-2002, 03:13 PM
Delorme's Atlas available at EMS has loads of potential spots to try. As far as a kayak :) well IMHO there is no other way

GBOUTDOORS
12-16-2002, 04:29 PM
Gs its done he said we can have the cottage anytime we want in May. Its on the water and has a pier so we can put the boat in and stay over night . I will talk to you as we near May and work out the dates with you. The cottage is on Alton Bay which has some good fishing to start with.

bud8fan
12-17-2002, 12:48 AM
Fishermen dont just go to the cape to catch stripers!!

You would be hard pressed to beat the smallies in Long Pond in Harwich!!

fishinmedic
12-17-2002, 08:00 AM
i dont own a boat so i am limited to lakes that rent them like quabbin

tlapinski
12-17-2002, 12:15 PM
there is also some very good smallmouth fishing to be had on the connecticut and chicopee rivers. i have personally taken smallies from shore out of the CT river in south hadley that weighed over 7 pounds. the added bonus to these rivers, is the chance of picking up anything from a walleye to a fat channel catfish to a nice size pike. try to match that at quabbin!

RickBomba
12-18-2002, 06:00 PM
Dude,
I grew up ten minutes from the famous "Gate 8" @ quabbin;
I fished there maybe 15 or 20 times.
I never had a bite, much less a fish. If you go out there, go with somebody that knows the territory. Lord knows, I didn't...
On the other hand, maybe I was a stupid kid who didn't understand underwater terrain and how it applies to fish feeding habits.:D
Anyhow, now I live an hour from the Cape and Naps, so I'm in my own personal heaven.:laughs:
Ps...Tad...7 pounds, in the river... how many eyes did it have.
Later,
Rick

Bob Senior
12-26-2002, 04:18 AM
Head north, up Rt. 12 from Worcester, to Ashburnham. Ask for directions to Lower Naukeag Lake. It's the local drinking water supply so no motors allowed. It used to be a bass paradise when I was a kid.