JohnR
12-28-2008, 01:48 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28399629/

By Tom E. Curran
NBCSports.com
updated 10:43 a.m. ET, Sun., Dec. 28, 2008

Image: Tom Curran
Tom E. Curran
When the New England Patriots' 2008 season ends, quarterback Matt Cassel will be set to become a free agent.

But before Cassel hits the free-agent market, the Patriots will look long and hard at the medical reports of star quarterback Tom Brady. And, according to a league source, those reports will give New England pause.

Brady, who had the ACL and MCL in his left knee ripped in the first quarter of the season’s first game, is well behind schedule in coming back from the surgery performed in early October, the source said.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

The problem began with the infection that set in soon after the Oct. 6 surgery performed by Los Angeles-based doctor Neil ElAttrache.

After the infection was detected, Brady went through six weeks of antibiotics and surgical irrigation of the infected area. The infection finally cleared but as it currently stands, both the ACL and MCL remain “loose,” the league source said. Meanwhile, scar tissue that built up in the knee as Brady’s body battled the infection is still present and might need to be surgically removed.

Additionally, because of the scar tissue, Brady’s knee doesn’t have close to full mobility, the league source said. That means the process of regaining strength in his quadriceps — the most important muscle to build up after a knee injury — hasn’t begun in earnest.

Even if Brady gets the scar tissue removed, regains greater mobility in the knee and is able to get the strength back in his quad, the looseness in the ligaments won’t go away without a second surgery, the source said. At this point, deciding to have that second surgery would cost him the 2009 season because a second surgery wouldn’t be recommended this soon after the first, especially with the current condition of the area.

If he doesn’t have a second surgery, he’ll almost certainly have to wear a brace on the knee when he returns and the area will be susceptible to another blowout, the source said.

If that occurs, what then for the Patriots?

That’s where Cassel’s situation becomes interesting. After three full seasons working as a backup to Brady, Cassel has played brilliantly this season, especially relative to the expectations of how much he could deliver.

He’s thrown for 3,615 yards, 21 touchdowns, 11 picks and completed more than 63 percent of his passes. And the Patriots, entering Sunday, are 10-5 with a chance to win the AFC East. This after spending his entire college career at USC without starting a single game.

On the free agent market, the 26-year-old Cassel would certainly be as appetizing an option as any quarterback coming out in April’s draft. By way of financial comparison, Matt Ryan, the third overall pick last April, got a six-year, $72 million deal from the Falcons, which included more than $34 million in guaranteed money.

But if the condition of Brady — the NFL’s MVP in 2007, a three-time Super Bowl winner and a two-time Super Bowl MVP — is still tenuous, the Patriots might use the franchise tag on Cassel. That would mean Cassel would be paid the average of the top five quarterback salaries in the league. That probably would come in around $12 million.

Squid kids Dad
12-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Brady who????:patshelmet::huh:

BigFish
12-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Brady the guy I would rather have playing than Cassel! The one who owns 3 Superbowl Rings! Doubt very much you will see Cassel earn one elsewhere! He is a product of this system and I doubt very much he will enjoy the same success in another system!

Squid kids Dad
12-28-2008, 05:23 PM
Only joking Larry:laugha:

BigFish
12-28-2008, 05:27 PM
I know Mike. Cassel is playing great but I think someone will be giving a King's ransom to a pig in a poke!

sean curry
12-29-2008, 08:56 AM
I hope Tom's recovery speeds up some. The Pats worked very hard and had a great season. I was very impressed with Matt! I hope we can hang on to him for 1 more season, but he deserves to be the main man, some where in the NFL.

sean

The Dad Fisherman
12-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Don't be surprised if you see Cassell in a Jets uniform next year.....they need a QB

Mike P
12-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Don't be surprised if you see Cassell in a Jets uniform next year.....they need a QB

I wouldn't be surprised--I'd be downright shocked. I can't see the Pats letting Cassel get to free agency--especially with the dueling rumors about Brady's progress.

The Dad Fisherman
12-29-2008, 10:40 AM
If the Rumors about Brady turn out to be just that....How can the Pats justify signing Cassell to sit as a backup.....he'll be testing the Free-agency market....if the pats Don't Franchise him....and if they Do thats gonna be a lot of cabbage for a backup QB.

Mike P
12-29-2008, 12:25 PM
They're on the horns of a dilemma. Tie up $25 million at the QB position, or let Cassel walk. Let him walk to the Jets, who'll certainly throw big money at him just as an FU to Kraft, if nothing else? Let him walk with O'Connell and Gutierrez in the wings if Brady can't answer the bell, and hope you can pick up some mediocrity off the scrap heap after teams make their final cuts (with no time for the guy who couldn't make a lesser team's roster to learn the offense)?

Or make the safe play, franchise Cassel, and be left with that much less to spend on shoring up an aging, creaky defense and a horrendous secondary.

Or do the unthinkable, franchise Cassel, trade Brady for draft picks, and then sign Cassel to a long term deal?

Surfcastinglife
12-29-2008, 12:33 PM
i'm of the opinion this is all a ploy to ease the backlash from the league offices after they slap the tag on Cassel and trade him for 2 # 1's. "we were just trying to cover our asses with the whole brady situation but hes made a miraculous recovery!!!"

Backbeach Jake
12-29-2008, 12:39 PM
I think that Brady's been nursing a bad knee for a couple of years. When was the last time you saw Tom take off in a busted up play? I think he's done on the field. Cassell's the man now.