View Full Version : CASTLE ISLANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Notaro
12-16-2002, 11:49 PM
Hey guys,
I went to the Castle Isle for cod and smelt fishing. I arrived there around 8 AM. I moved around for a while. I got nothing, except a cold and a sore throat. It was a low tide. The current was running west. The wind was strong. I couldn't find the fish! Can anyone help me with that? I never caught a cod from inshore in my life. I would love to catch one and feel the thrills of fishing it and looking at it's hidden transcending sharp teeth. The place was rocky. Can any of you tell me what stragety should I employ on the Castle Isle, What rig should I use on the Castle Isle, and what is the most productive spot on the Castle Island Pier?

Can anyone tell me what's up at Rockport? I would like to know what's biting on the Bearskin Neck now? And I would like to know if the Commerical St. Pier is productive or not? I f yes, then what's biting there now?
Thanks.

JohnR
12-17-2002, 08:42 AM
Joseph - most everyone has packed their gear away and are refilling the family cookie jar right about now. Maybe 10% of the people still have a line in the water on occasion... Some others may be saving a fishing secret or two ;)

As for castle Island and shore cod, they do occasionally get them there but it's not an enourmous fishery. I would recommend the sweetest clams you can get, and either fish the edge of the outflow of the Sugar Bowl o r stick at the pier. Keep in mind that if you get a legal fish, have a plan for getting it up the pier.

Personally, I have only fished there a handfull of times in the past 6-7 years and before that nearly 20 years ago, so I don't have too much to add.

I don't know the smelt fishing there but it tends to be decent in the Quincy area.

Canalratt1
12-17-2002, 02:18 PM
Off the pier the left hand corner is the best spot but all the regulers know that.

Christian
12-17-2002, 06:24 PM
ok, first you'll have to get at castle island before or at high tide low will only produce skates if even that. sea worms is ya can get em, and clams are both the best baits i think. also try the nut island pier in quincy, if yoo have a map just look just west of peddocks island and there it is. ive caught many cod off this pier. the last time i went i got skunked but there was 50mph winds, waves broke over the pier every now and then. i use a regular one hook bait rig, just like a high low rig just one hook, the fishfinder is also very good. i tend to use some heavy weights over there, 4-6oz being the best. cast straight off the end of the pier for the best results. i have a chart and in casting range you can hit 50ft so you shouldnt have any problem with getting depth like you would have at castle island. deer island should also be a good spot because that pier is about 300yards from 70- 95 ft depths. also ask the guy at foreriver he knows EVERYTHING about the area. im probally going after christmas at nut island ill tell you if i get anything.

LINESIDES
12-18-2002, 08:43 PM
Are referring to Castle Island in South Boston?

Christian
12-19-2002, 03:47 PM
im talking about castle island in southie, i was pretty sure thats what Notaro ment.

Notaro
12-19-2002, 07:28 PM
yes, christain, that's what i meant.

Notaro
12-19-2002, 07:36 PM
christain, nut island pier? that's far for me. i rather to get somewhere close. 50 fts? how do i know if i can cast 5o ft? and i don't own a boat. i know the guy at the fore river. he told me to wait for the high tide.

john, what is a sugar bowl? damn, that's one of my concern about lifting the legal fish up the pier. i have a pier net and a telescope net that can go up to eight feet. so u don't fish cod, do you? so the best thing i can catch a cod is an incoming high tide rushing onto me, right? there are two water sides of the pier, inner water (pleasant bay) and outer water
(boston harbor). which side should i fish?

Christian
12-21-2002, 01:49 PM
theres gotta be somthing wrong if you cant cast 50ft.:D