View Full Version : Nebe's Great Grandfather..

Nebe
01-01-2009, 06:41 PM
I just digitized this picture to send to my cousin and thought I would post it here...

1938 on the York river in York Maine.. He had a summer house there and his main house was in Perth Amboy NJ where he also fished for stripers...

When I first taught my self how to surfcast, I used his old gear and then quickly ran out and got new gear.. :shocked:

tattoobob
01-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Well I see he catches the same size fish as you:rollem:

Rob Rockcrawler
01-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Very cool pic.

Swimmer
01-01-2009, 06:47 PM

Butta bing, butta boom and under the bus you go Nebe.

Nice pic though, I have a chitload of albums I need to do that to.

tynan19
01-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Cool photo!

striperman36
01-01-2009, 06:49 PM
I have my FIL metal rod and baitcaster that looks very similar to that.
Cool stuff, but I could never cast that stuff either.

Nebe
01-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Yep.

Tagger
01-01-2009, 07:36 PM
even with the straight arm to the camera that fish looks tiny ,,, great pic Eben .. :kewl:

numbskull
01-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Conventional tackle I see, classy guy obviously.

ProfessorM
01-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Nice history.
That fish is bigger than what we got when we went in the fall, G.

numbskull
01-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Nice history.
That fish is bigger than what we got when we went in the fall, G.

Yup. And you know what he'd think of burning $80 worth of gas to get it :uhuh:

Nebe
01-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Yup. And you know what he'd think of burning $80 worth of gas to get it :uhuh:

Hed think you were nutz.
If memory serves me correctly, he sold the house in NJ and bought a mansion right on the beach in fort lauterdale. Tarpon and Marlin were his fish of choice down there.. Then stripers in maine in the summer..
Some more Nebe family trivia is that my grandfather (the guy in the photo's son) spent a lot of time on Cuttyhunk in the summer and helped steve baldwin build the striped bass weather vane for the cuttyhunk church. Steve made the fish and my grandfather designed the metal. Theres another weather vane identical to the cuttyhunk one in newport on lands end point.
My dad also chased bass from time to time, so Nebe is the 4th generation of striper hounds in the family :hihi:

Striperknight
01-01-2009, 08:32 PM
I wonder what he would think of Perth Amboy now? 4 generations is wild. I know I fish the same Jetties my grandfather fished.

Nebe
01-01-2009, 08:36 PM
I think he would feel like the crying indian. :(

justplugit
01-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Hed think you were nutz.
If memory serves me correctly, he sold the house in NJ and bought a mansion right on the beach in fort lauterdale. Tarpon and Marlin were his fish of choice down there.. Then stripers in maine in the summer..
Some more Nebe family trivia is that my grandfather (the guy in the photo's son) spent a lot of time on Cuttyhunk in the summer and helped steve baldwin build the striped bass weather vane for the cuttyhunk church. Steve made the fish and my grandfather designed the metal. Theres another weather vane identical to the cuttyhunk one in newport on lands end point.
My dad also chased bass from time to time, so Nebe is the 4th generation of striper hounds in the family :hihi:

Nebe, nice pic. Great family history there. :btu:

If you can take some advice from an "old guy", talk to your living relatives to get and write down as much family history as possible.
A time will come when you will want to preserve it for your kids. :)

Nebe
01-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Nebe, nice pic. Great family history there. :btu:

If you can take some advice from an "old guy", talk to your living relatives to get and write down as much family history as possible.
A time will come when you will want to preserve it for your kids. :)

I have been doing alot of that lately. Here is more nebe trivia- my 15th great grandfather settled at horton point near southhold long island in the 1600's.. his house is still there.
correction- after googling barnabas horton.. the farm is still there, but before his house was torn down in 1870, it was the oldest standing house in the country.. wow.

5 String Bass
01-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Cool stuff.. That's a great picture.

jimmy z
01-02-2009, 05:57 AM
It's nice to have the old photo's, of a time gone by. :kewl:

Raven
01-02-2009, 07:12 AM
bet that rod was solid fiber glass... nice pic

cool history..

Pete F.
01-02-2009, 07:50 AM
I have been doing alot of that lately. Here is more nebe trivia- my 15th great grandfather settled at horton point near southhold long island in the 1600's.. his house is still there.
correction- after googling barnabas horton.. the farm is still there, but before his house was torn down in 1870, it was the oldest standing house in the country.. wow.

I can come close to that:

According to Schenck family tradition, Jan Martense Schenck, the man who built this house, arrived in New Netherland in 1650. He is first documented in Flatlands in 1660. On December 29, 1675, he purchased the land on which he built the house, along with a half interest in a nearby gristmill. The house was probably in place by 1675.

The Schenck family owned the house for three generations, finally selling it in 1784. Beginning in the 1920s, as real-estate development increased, a number of preservation plans that might have maintained the house on site were put forward but were never realized. Finally in 1952, the Brooklyn Museum made a commitment to save the house, dismantled it, and stored it for about ten years until plans to install it in the Museum were finalized. The house was opened to the public in 1964.
That would be on my mothers side, the other side I am second and third generation Norwegian and Swedish respectively.

Plum Crazy
01-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Great pic and great history.
Please tell us more.
It is very humbling to stand and fish the same shores as our ancestors.
Thanks Nebe.

bridgeman
01-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Very interesting Nebe. We may be related! The Old House in Cutchogue was built by my ancestor John Budd. He gave it to his daughter Anna on her marriage to Benjamin Horton! I seem to remember a sampler from the museum done by a Mahittable Horton.http://southoldtown.northfork.net/cutchogue.htm

Nebe
01-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Please tell us more.

Thats all I have that i think would interest anyone here-
oh.. this might interest some- My grandfather designed the submarine nets that closed up narragansett bay in wwII.. He was the production manager at a quarry in Mass and invented a giant wire saw to cut granite slabs out of the cliffs.. because of this, the quarry had wire making abilities and won the contract to design/build the nets.
The nets were at bend boat basin in portsmouth for a long long time laying in a huge pile and I think they still may be there-

likwid
01-02-2009, 09:50 AM
The nets were at bend boat basin in portsmouth for a long long time laying in a huge pile and I think they still may be there-

Been gone for a long time. Could see them from the start of burma road.
Sold for scrap.

Nebe
01-02-2009, 09:57 AM
yep they were right next to the train tracks-

likwid
01-02-2009, 10:18 AM
And no longer bend boat basin.
Thats New England Boatworks
And the entrance side is Ted Hood/Hunt.

Nebe
01-02-2009, 10:20 AM
yeah yeah yeah.. I know. I still shop at the place where Almac's used to be..

spence
01-02-2009, 10:22 AM
It's amazing the similarities and how genetics are so lasting.

That photo looks almost exactly like one I took of Nebe on Block Island a few years back just before he threw the short into the box.

-spence

Finaddict
01-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Nebe - great stuff ... see if you can dig up some of the tarpon history - while stripers are the fish, tarpon are the silver king of the seas ... and love hearing stories of how people used to catch them back in the early early days ... if you can't find anything on it, we can always make it up ... :hee:

Nebe
01-02-2009, 12:50 PM
It's amazing the similarities and how genetics are so lasting.

That photo looks almost exactly like one I took of Nebe on Block Island a few years back just before he threw the short into the box.

-spence

:rotfl:

Nebe
01-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Nebe - great stuff ... see if you can dig up some of the tarpon history - while stripers are the fish, tarpon are the silver king of the seas ... and love hearing stories of how people used to catch them back in the early early days ... if you can't find anything on it, we can always make it up ... :hee:

His fishing logs mention fishing with Ernest all the time... :huh:

just kidding

I'll ask my dad, he may know, but my hunch is that it was a live bait thing.. mullet probably

Frankiesurf
01-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Hey Nebe, would that be the Horton as in Horton Point in Wading River? I assume he was a Puritan leaving CT because of persecution, which is why mostly Puritans settled in the eastern end.

I just found this which may be of some interest to you.

http://ntgen.tripod.com/bw/hort_index.html

I didn't realize the Conklins and the Hortons were related. One of my bosses is an original Conklin (Conckling).

That is quite the family history.

Nebe
01-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Hi Frankiesurf,
Yes, that is my family. Your boss is my cousin. :hihi:

Frankiesurf
01-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Could you tell your cousin to quit being a prick :laugha: ? Thanks, much obliged.

Nebe
01-02-2009, 08:21 PM
sorry, it runs in the family :hihi: