View Full Version : Warm feet??

Sgt_Nutz
01-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Ok, what do the rest of you do to keep your feet warm on stand???? I have gotten so that everything else is comfortable but my feet are always getting to cold. I am usually wearing Lacrosse 800 gram thinsulate neoprene boots over extra heavy wool socks over liner socks. Comfort wise they are like wearing sneakers in the woods and are for the most part dry although by the end of the day the bottoms of my feet are wet from perspiration. Breathable leather boots are not an option because of the swamps we tromp through around here. What does everybody else do? Will upgrading to 1200 gram thinsulate make much difference? :err: :huh:

Yeah I know, just shut up and bear it????

Bigcat
01-02-2009, 06:04 AM
I don't sit in stands, but if I get stuck working a machine with no heat and and holes in the cab I use hand warmer packs in my boots, they last a full shift and keep my toes warm.

boot man
01-02-2009, 06:46 AM
More insulation will mean more perspiration. Wet=cold. Are your liners made of wool also? Need to get the moisture away from your feet. Wool wicks away moisture better than synthetics.

Raven
01-02-2009, 06:49 AM
do your socks wick away moisture? if not, are they 100% cotton?

if so, that's part of the problem....

also , you need some "air room" inside your boots to trap
warm air from your feet.... room to breathe, so to speak...

similar to how a thermal top with the little dents built
into the fabric trap warm air... creating a thermal warm air layer...

Raven
01-02-2009, 07:06 AM
More insulation will mean more perspiration. Wet=cold. Are your liners made of wool also? Need to get the moisture away from your feet. Wool wicks away moisture better than synthetics.
======

Boot man is right with wet equals cold...

on the survivor man channel they were saying that a wet person
looses body heat twice as fast as a dry person

also you can sprinkle a :point: TINY amount of "cayenne pepper"
into your boots that will help heat your feet...to much and you'll be sorry..
it's the best remedy to increase blood circulation since your feet are the furthest from your heart.

mikecc
01-02-2009, 09:07 AM
When I'm in a stand I perfer to use wool socks . My boots are only 500Gram Thinsulate but I use Toasti Toes foot warmers. They are just like the handwarmers but smaller . I pull out the bottom liner of the boot & Place them far up where your toes are. As soon as you open the Toasti Toes they start to work about 6 hours of use.
I only use them with temps under 25 dig and can sit for 3-4 hours without having to move arround. They cost about .75 a pair

Sgt_Nutz
01-02-2009, 03:50 PM
I use moisture wicking sock liners under heavy wool socks. 0% cotton. I did read somewhere that once cotton gets wet it loses ALL it's insulation value. Boots are kinda tight though. I have tried those foot warmers Mike but couldn't fit them under my toes. Maybe I will try a 1/2 size up boot next time to allow more air room.

"cayenne pepper" Raven????? :deer:

Raven
01-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Cayenne pepper will increase your circulation like nothing else will...

it has been used to keep feet warm too but it's a real small amount that you sprinkle into your boot...

otherwise you'll get hot feet and will be ripping those boots off in a big hurry...

your idea of going a half size larger is right on the money
allowing you to have "some" air space around your feet to trap hot air ......is what is needed...

the half cotton / half rayon whatever socks are better than 100 % cotton..

just reading in cabelas that a large sock is anything 9-12
in a tube sock... (to small for my size 13 feet )
then 12-15 size sold also at big and tall stores is extra large

Raven
01-03-2009, 07:33 AM
i have seen battery powered electric socks too

outnumbered
01-03-2009, 09:59 PM
I use 500GM Thinsulate Gortex Boots, they are lightweight and dry. Have room in toes for foot warmers, usually pick up a box at the beginning of the season (takes me through all hunting seasons and skiing). I also loosen the tops of the boots once I get in my stand and I don't have any problems except staying awake they are so comfortable.

Sgt_Nutz
01-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Cayenne pepper will increase your circulation like nothing else will...

it has been used to keep feet warm too but it's a real small amount that you sprinkle into your boot...

otherwise you'll get hot feet and will be ripping those boots off in a big hurry...

I bet it will!!! lol I did a Google search and there is something to this. However the cleanup process after sounds a lot like the process for the pepper spray at work. Nothing like macing your own feet!! I think I will tuck this info. away for future use. Sounds like an experiment to be performed on a hunting buddy at deer camp.....or elsewhere.

Raven
01-04-2009, 04:34 PM
what i meant was when you use cayenne pepper as a spice
in your cooking it increases your blood circulation....like nothing else will... like having it in a spare salt shaker.........

i didn't mean that you use it in your boots as a way to increase your blood circulation... ok ? although it has been used to slightly warm your feet in that way...

sorry about that miss- understanding.

Raven
01-04-2009, 04:45 PM
the pores on your feet are the largest on your body besides those in your arm pits ... (thus the odoriferous attribute)

so if you rubbed a raw cut in half clove of garlic on your feet after a hot shower (that opens your pores)

soon afterwards you'd have garlic breath as if you had eaten some....:spin:

Raven
01-05-2009, 12:17 PM
http://www.thunderboltsocks.com/

JohnnyD
01-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Also, tying you boots too tight and using a lot of layers of socks will constrict the blood vessels and limit circulation to the feet.

Poor circulation and you'll never get them warm.

Sgt_Nutz
01-05-2009, 06:20 PM
:rotflmao: A google search for "Cayenne pepper for warm feet" turned up this link: http://www.ultrunr.com/coldfeet.html. Scroll down to " Randi Young's" response.

Thanks for the clarification Raven......:boots:

Christian
02-04-2009, 05:40 PM
cabelas and i think bass pro have them. theyre called boot blankets, or boot insulators. they are sick. they go over your boots, theyre pretty quiet too. looks like a big pair of slippers.

joebe
02-18-2009, 01:29 PM
My Dad has always had a problem with cold feet. For his B-Day I bought him a pair of those zip on insulated booties that go over your boots. Real easy, walk to your stand climb up, pull the booties right over your existing boots. He says they really work well.Think I got them in Cabela's