View Full Version : tips for bringing camera to the surf...

ivanputski
01-02-2009, 06:27 PM
You've all been faced with the predicament... "if I could get a photo right now, I'd let this fish go... but since I cant I guess I'll keep it" we wear dry tops, tight belts, etc. but I want to hear how you guys keep you cameras DRY, and on-hand ready to go quick when you land a fish that you want to release. zip-lock bags fail... also, can any of you recommend a salt-water proof camera that doesn't break the bank? I hate worrying about my camera in a ziplock everytime I take a wave in the face....

jim mullen
01-02-2009, 06:39 PM
I recently purchased a water proof box from LL bean that is small/ large enough to contain my camera. The price was right. Time will tell.

jeffthechef
01-02-2009, 06:48 PM
i used the olympus stylus 850 SW this year. shockproof and water proof. great pictures, dont worry about it getting wet. mine spent the seasonm in my wader top. i would dry it when i was done. seems made for the suf. i bought it on the recommendation of a friend who wears his wetsuiting and never had a problem either. it is as close to the perfect surf camera i could find. about $325 w/ 200 shot photo card. hope this helps.

fishbones
01-02-2009, 07:03 PM
I just got the Olympus SW1050. So far it's been great outside in the snow, but it hasn't made it into the water yet.

Don't rely on ziploc bags to keep anything waterproof. Last summer, I put my cell phone in a ziploc bag and then in the inside pocket of my bathing suit and went kayaking. I never went into the water, but still got wet. When I took my phone out of the bag, it was soaked and not working. The waterproof cell is next on my list.

likwid
01-02-2009, 07:08 PM
I just got the Olympus SW1050. So far it's been great outside in the snow, but it hasn't made it into the water yet.

Don't rely on ziploc bags to keep anything waterproof. Last summer, I put my cell phone in a ziploc bag and then in the inside pocket of my bathing suit and went kayaking. I never went into the water, but still got wet. When I took my phone out of the bag, it was soaked and not working. The waterproof cell is next on my list.

Otter/Pelican box for the cell.
Waterproof cells aren't all they're cracked up to be.

RNC
01-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Look into Aquapac or a dry box. LL Bean, REI or any kayaking shop will carry them.

fishbones
01-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Otter/Pelican box for the cell.
Waterproof cells aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Thanks, I'll check em' out. I doubt I'd have been able to find a waterproof cell that would have the features I want, anyways.

steve
01-03-2009, 10:53 AM
I use a small dry bag. Keeps camara dry and I usually tuck it between my surf top and body. The belt keeps it in one place. I have even wetsuited with it with NO prolblems. My only problem is that I have dropped it several times as I forget that camara is there. Perhaps a hard dry case is the answer. Saltwater edge has them.

Al in Westport
01-04-2009, 06:30 AM
My vote would be for one of the Olympus Stylus SW's. I have used one of the older Olympus water proofs for several years with very good luck.

I am considering upgrading to one of the new SW's. I do have a question for you boys that have the newer SW's. They only have a screen, no view finder. Is that screen bright enough when the sun is over your shoulder?

Al

jeffthechef
01-04-2009, 07:44 AM
My vote would be for one of the Olympus Stylus SW's. I have used one of the older Olympus water proofs for several years with very good luck.

I am considering upgrading to one of the new SW's. I do have a question for you boys that have the newer SW's. They only have a screen, no view finder. Is that screen bright enough when the sun is over your shoulder?

Al

Al, i used mine outdoors this summer as a travel cam, not just for fishing and it seemed to work just fine for me. do you mean can you see the screen when you are taking a picture with the sun at your back? if so, i don't recall any issues with that. good luck!

Al in Westport
01-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Hi Jeff,

Yes, when the sun is over your shoulder. My old Stylus has a very small screen that is impossible in bright conditions, I have to use the viewfinder, which works just fine. The new style Stylus has a nice big screen,(but no viewfinder). I was wondering how it did on a boat or on the beach in bright conditions.

Thanks, Al

jeffthechef
01-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi Jeff,

Yes, when the sun is over your shoulder. My old Stylus has a very small screen that is impossible in bright conditions, I have to use the viewfinder, which works just fine. The new style Stylus has a nice big screen,(but no viewfinder). I was wondering how it did on a boat or on the beach in bright conditions.

Thanks, Al

al, just stood outside full sun at my back, no sunglasses. i could see the screen fine enough to take a picture. of course there is glare but moving the camera around to reduce it is easily done. casting your own shadow on the screen helps eliminate glare. i personally have no problem with no viewfinder as the screen is big enough to compensate. try someones out ?

Al in Westport
01-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks Jeff.

And thanks Ivan, didn't mean to hi-jack your post.

Guess I'll be shopping for a new Stylus.

It's almost time to leave for Barrington.

Al

Tagger
01-04-2009, 01:50 PM
got an Olympus 770 SW last year .. Has settings to take pics under water but havn't dunked it yet ,, Its in the front pouch of my waders ,, Want to learn to use the video portion of camera for maybe some Youtube footage ,,

ivanputski
01-04-2009, 06:15 PM
even though its an underwater camera, I would still feel hesitant about dunking it in the salt, you know? Its just in my head, but salt water is a female dog!!!