View Full Version : Surfcasting Night at the SWE this Wednesday

Pete_G
01-03-2009, 06:32 PM
A friend of mine sent me an email a couple months ago suggesting we try a “Surfcasting Night” at the SWE.

“When I was growing up in New York City, one of the things I remember was Thursday nights, going to Teddy's Tackle in Brooklyn with my father for the weekly 'bull session'. I was only a kid then, but I remember the coffee was on and the BS was flying. Little did I know that the guys there were the icons of the sport...Danny Pichney, Jack 'The Professor' Frech and others. It would average sometimes 5, sometimes 15 guys who talked stories, shared ideas, discussed prototypes, and became close friends.”

We’ve got room in the new shop so we’d like to give it a try this Wednesday (1.7.09) at 6pm.

I think we’ll run it like our free fly tying classes; share what you know (if you want to) and maybe learn something new and most importantly have some fishing related fun in the off-season. Some nights there might be a quick presentation, most nights it’ll just be striper fisherman hanging out for the evening. If it goes well we’ll host it on the first Wednesday of every month at 6pm (although not during the fishing season).

Also coming up soon is our “How to Service Your Van Staal” seminar with Craig Cantelmo on January 17th at 1PM at the SWE. It costs nothing to attend other then a self service kit. If you already have one just bring it along (doesn’t matter where you bought it) or you can buy one the day of the class.

Here’s the rest of what’s coming up over the next few months.

Winter Class and Seminar Schedule (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=53970)

tattoobob
01-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Wow sounds like fun I wish I lived closer

Rocco34520
01-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Same! I will def. make it out to the Surf Day's tho

MVbluefish
01-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Wow sounds like fun I wish I lived closer
2nd THAT !!:nopain::nopain:

DZ
01-04-2009, 04:27 PM
“When I was growing up in New York City, one of the things I remember was Thursday nights, going to Teddy's Tackle in Brooklyn with my father for the weekly 'bull session'. I was only a kid then, but I remember the coffee was on and the BS was flying. Little did I know that the guys there were the icons of the sport...Danny Pichney, Jack 'The Professor' Frech and others. It would average sometimes 5, sometimes 15 guys who talked stories, shared ideas, discussed prototypes, and became close friends.”

I remember going to Ted's Tackle when I was a kid. Funny how there are two guys here in the Newport area that went to Teddy's, the other being Al Rispoli my casting partner.
Should be a good time - I'll try and be there.

DZ

nightfighter
01-04-2009, 04:38 PM
The VS Service clinic has my attention.... Will you, or Craig have other parts if we find something he suggests should be changed out, beyond what is in the servicing kit?

bassballer
01-08-2009, 09:04 AM
good meeting last night guys. I love the format of "no format" and just a group of guys BSing about fishing. Good times.

steve
01-08-2009, 11:02 AM
It was good to see all the guys at Saltwater Edge last night. The format - no format- was just right. Just a bunch(good turn out) of surf addicts BSing and sharing info. No better way to pass a long winter night. Can't wait til the next one!

Pete_G
01-08-2009, 11:35 AM
The VS Service clinic has my attention.... Will you, or Craig have other parts if we find something he suggests should be changed out, beyond what is in the servicing kit?

We're actually going to reschedule the VS clinic, there's been way more demand then expected on the service kit and I'm already out and so is Van Staal.

The new VS clinic date is going to be March 28th at 1PM.

Craig will have addtional parts, but in some cases the reel may still need to go out. If it does we'll ship it out that day to River's End.

DZ
01-08-2009, 12:51 PM
It was good to see all the guys at Saltwater Edge last night. The format - no format- was just right. Just a bunch(good turn out) of surf addicts BSing and sharing info. No better way to pass a long winter night. Can't wait til the next one!

It was a good night - Had to be at least 20 or so guys there. Was great talking to guys I only see a few times a season like Steve M.
Re-living the old block stories and talking about the some of the past shenanigans is priceless. Some of the stories need to be documented. Next time we should pool some money and order some pizza. What do you think PeteG?

DZ

bassballer
01-08-2009, 01:00 PM
We're actually going to reschedule the VS clinic, there's been way more demand then expected on the service kit and I'm already out and so is Van Staal.

The new VS clinic date is going to be March 28th at 1PM.

Craig will have addtional parts, but in some cases the reel may still need to go out. If it does we'll ship it out that day to River's End.

DZ i like where your heads at.

steve
01-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Good idea DZ!

reebok
01-08-2009, 03:45 PM
It was a good time. Got some invites to go fishing next season, but I have to bring the beer. No problem!

Pete_G
01-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Pool some money for pizza? No problem at all.

We can do anything people want to do.

Glad everyone had a good time. :kewl:

Rocco34520
01-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Im glad everyone had a good time. I couldnt make it.:(

saltwateredge
01-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Some of the stories need to be documented.

DZ I'm willing to fire up the camera and get first hand tellings on video for posterity. I love reading stories, but it'd be pretty neat to begin a video library of first-hand accounts. Everyone loves hearing another tell a fishing story.

saltwateredge
01-08-2009, 10:33 PM
and I third the pizza idea

vanstaal
01-09-2009, 06:28 AM
good time nice to see almost everyone:cheers: