View Full Version : blue ray

american spirit
01-03-2009, 10:04 PM
now that luds created the hdtv thread...........

follow up with this blue ray thread. just started some research on that. looks like a lot of bell and whistle options on the more expensive ones. meaning ability to stream from netflix/ pandora, profile 2.0 for usb connections, etc.

i'm looking to watch movies i buy from the store and rent from netflix. that's all. i don't plan on streaming from my pc. any recs? i was looking at the samsung bdp 1500 which you can buy from overstock for 179. there's also a samsung bd 2500 and 2550 which is more money and sounds better, but not sure if you just paying for those extras i talked about.

The Dad Fisherman
01-03-2009, 11:44 PM
1st Question.....what do you have for a TV?

because if you aren't wathing it on a 120 hz 1080p HDTV it ain't worth getting....you'll never notice the difference between a straight DVD and the Blue ray

RIJIMMY
01-04-2009, 12:13 AM
1st Question.....what do you have for a TV?

because if you aren't wathing it on a 120 hz 1080p HDTV it ain't worth getting....you'll never noti the differene between a straight DVD and the Blue ray

DF, not sure it thats 100% true. I did some research a month or so ago, I have an HDTV plasma but its not 1080. I researched on the web and spoke to a bunch of salespeople and the opinions are split. 50% saying what you posted. Basically, if you watch DVDs, on a HDTV, they're not in high definition. With blue ray, it will transmit in 1080 and lower to match you tvs settings. Long story short, I got a Sony blue ray and it I can definitely notice the difference. Prior to that I had a progressive scan and high end cables, I can still notice much better detail. Most of the blue rays can play regular DVDs, so what do you have to lose?

leo33
01-04-2009, 07:55 AM
get the Playstation 3.great gaming platform,Blue Ray player, and the ability to down load Blue Ray movies from the internet.

Surfcastinglife
01-07-2009, 11:25 AM
get the Playstation 3.great gaming platform,Blue Ray player, and the ability to down load Blue Ray movies from the internet.

not to mention that it does the best job of upconverting standard DVD's to 1080i