View Full Version : Need Input for Islamarada

Fisherwoman
01-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Hi All, Merry Xmas & Happy New year to all, I hope the holidays treated everybody well.

We are looking at heading to FL in March or April for a week and wonder if any body here could reccomed any good charter captains from down there. We are looking at doing a few offshore charters as well as inshore flats stuff. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jules

hyefisherman2
01-04-2009, 10:21 AM
for inshore flats fishing: Greg Poland is great for tarpon, bones, sharks, and permit.....he also specializes in back country fish in the mangroves such as snook, jacks, redfish and other species of that sort. heres his website: http://www.gregpoland.com/

hope this helps a little

capecodkid
01-04-2009, 10:53 AM
To add on to what Hye said Greg also does Offshore in a 27' Conch as well. I highly recommend him as well.

ThomCat
01-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Catch'em All Charters - Capt. Jeff Shelar 1 888 8TARPON
We caught everything from Kingfish to Cobia to Goliath Grouper on the same Gulf side trip out of Marathon. This guy does it all!!!:kewl:;)
http://www.catch-em-all.com/ jnsshelar@att.net

eelskimmer
01-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Jules,

Where in Florida you going a be. See ya at next MSBA
meeting for two bucktails.

jeffthechef
01-04-2009, 11:39 AM
if you need any tackle while you are there try the worldwide sportsmen, huge store, anything you need.

Fisherwoman
01-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks Guys, I appreciate the info and we will definatly check these guys out as we want to do several charters while we are there.

Eelskimmer, we will be staying in Islamorada at a friend of mines house. right down the road from Worldwide sportsman and Bud and Mary's Marina!!! Do you want large bucktails or small, $7 for the large $5 for the small. Let me know and we will bring them to the meeting for ya!!!

CaptMike
01-05-2009, 10:17 AM
try albert ponzoa out of marathon. Awesome flats captain

eelskimmer
01-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Sorry Jules, didn't read heading. Don't know about size so
how about one of each.

Finaddict
01-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Hey Jules - Greg Poland is a good captain, but there are a ton of great captains out of Islamorada. I will be happy to give you a call to provide you with some recommendations - let me know when you and the Captain have some time to discuss.

Thanks,
Andy

Fisherwoman
01-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Eelskimmer, will bring you one of each.

Finaddict, we will talk with you soon, PM me your number and I will give you a call, let me know if evenings are OK.

thanks everybody for your help:D

fish4striper
01-07-2009, 12:53 PM
have fun Jules, hitting key west myself end of March. Debating on boat rental and/or charter

westhavendave
01-07-2009, 09:58 PM
It is my goal to someday go down there and spend a week at the Rainbow Bend resort. with each room rental comes the free use of a 13' boston whaler. Check the place out for me if you get to Marathon.

http://www.rainbowbend.com/photogallery/dock.jpg

CaptMike
01-08-2009, 08:46 AM
The rainbow looks pretty cool. I love that part of the keys and I've been trying to talk myself into staying there one of these weekends

Finatic
01-08-2009, 12:32 PM
It is my goal to someday go down there and spend a week at the Rainbow Bend resort. with each room rental comes the free use of a 13' boston whaler. Check the place out for me if you get to Marathon.

http://www.rainbowbend.com/photogallery/dock.jpg

Dave, when I talked to them, you had to share the whaler with other vacationers, any you could only use it 4 hours a day. Tough on that side if wind is out of the easterly quadrants. Rainbow Bend is a great looking place, and they do have a gormet restaurant with only one sitting a night. Kool place.

J-golden
01-09-2009, 10:01 PM
the later in april the better - ask for capt david applegate at bud/marys. don't be fooled by his hippie david crosby looks - this guy can put you on big tarpon. i recommend a dusk/evening trip

Super Googan
01-09-2009, 10:25 PM
the later in april the better - ask for capt david applegate at bud/marys. don't be fooled by his hippie david crosby looks - this guy can put you on big tarpon. i recommend a dusk/evening trip

I agree late April would be better for the Tarpon. FIND A GUIDE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. The good ones are booked months in advance for Tarpon season.

Fisherwoman
01-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Again, thanks for all the feedback guys, We appreciate it, we will check them all out and see what they have for availability. I will let ya know how we make out and then post about the trip when it comes around, GOD I miss the Water!!!!!!!!!!!

Crafty Angler
01-13-2009, 08:15 AM
Good luck, you guys - man, am I jealous...I'm still hoping to get down to the Sanibel area but it looks like this may not be the year for us...:doh:

Hey, Jules, is it bucktail time yet? I need something to help me stay out of mischief over the winter if I'm gonna be stuck up here... :devil2: